Megadeth

craigled

Anybody like these Legends on here ?. I have the full collection. They say a band reaches its peak, And then releases are good, But can never beat a certain time. Well i think Megadeth must be having a permanent peak. Yes i do have my favourite tracks. Mainly Losing my senses. But i cannot really make my mind up about complete albums. Dave Mustaine is just amazing. Some Megadeth fans are bitter towards Metallica, That is due to what happened to Dave when he was in that band. I like them both LOADS. They have provided me with so many good memories. Soundtrack to my life in many ways.

Yes, I like Megadeth a lot.  Of the "big four" of thrash (them, Metallica, Slayer, and Anthrax, all of whom I like), they're probably the most versatile (their experiments have generally worked out better than Metallica's, and Slayer is like the AC/DC of thrash, they only do one thing but they do it really well, Anthrax is too inconsistent).  The last album (Dystopia) is brilliant, they are definitely not slowing down.

I think Daves voice is brilliant. So good it sets him apart from some of the other top ones. Like Bruce Dickinson, even. The part of his voice i suspect maybe you are not keen on could be when he sings, Skin o my teeth. I have actually heard Mega Megadeth fans say that. I do like it. Like i say, I am a really big fan. Nice to see some of the others on here are too. Although i expected there to be.

Megadeth is one of the few "current" bands that I still bother to follow, and Mustaine is probably in my top 10 favorite musicians. I had the pleasure of seeing them on their Rust In Peace tour, and managed to squeeze my way right up to the stage, where I could have literally reached out and grabbed Mustaine's leg. It's probably my second favorite concert experience. In my opinion, they have secured the most impressive legacy of any of the "Big 4" thrash bands. Metallica clearly rose to greater success than Megadeth, but then promptly shot themselves in the foot, several different times and several different ways. The jury is still out on whether they'll ever release a worthwhile album again. Slayer has been dull since Seasons in the Abyss, and Anthrax has been largely irrelevant for the span of three decades now.

My biggest complaint about Megadeth lately is that their last few releases all kind of sound the same to me. The System Has Failed and United Abominations I loved, but everything since then has sounded somewhat interchangeable. But even though I can't really tell them apart, I'd take any of those releases over Metallica's Death Magnetic. Leave it to Metallica to find a way to make thrash metal boring.

3 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Megadeth is one of the few "current" bands that I still bother to follow, and Mustaine is probably in my top 10 favorite musicians. I had the pleasure of seeing them on their Rust In Peace tour, and managed to squeeze my way right up to the stage, where I could have literally reached out and grabbed Mustaine's leg. It's probably my second favorite concert experience. In my opinion, they have secured the most impressive legacy of any of the "Big 4" thrash bands. Metallica clearly rose to greater success than Megadeth, but then promptly shot themselves in the foot, several different times and several different ways. The jury is still out on whether they'll ever release a worthwhile album again. Slayer has been dull since Seasons in the Abyss, and Anthrax has been largely irrelevant for the span of three decades now.

My biggest complaint about Megadeth lately is that their last few releases all kind of sound the same to me. The System Has Failed and United Abominations I loved, but everything since then has sounded somewhat interchangeable. But even though I can't really tell them apart, I'd take any of those releases over Metallica's Death Magnetic. Leave it to Metallica to find a way to make thrash metal boring.

Supercollidor had a fair bit of variety to it (and generally succeeded), it's probably why they returned to form with a vengeance on Dystopia.  Have to disagree re. Death Magnetic, that's a great album, however Dystopia is much better than Hardwired.

16 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Supercollidor had a fair bit of variety to it (and generally succeeded), it's probably why they returned to form with a vengeance on Dystopia.  Have to disagree re. Death Magnetic, that's a great album, however Dystopia is much better than Hardwired.

I'll give Dystopia another listen, I've probably only listened to it once or twice now. To me, the best part of Death Magnetic was the instrumental. It's hard listening to Hetfield now, that guy's voice is just hosed. But the instrumental was cool, and I did like one of the other songs (it's been a while so I don't remember the titles), but overall it was just dull to me. I actually liked St. Anger more, although only slightly, because at least it was an attempt at doing something new. A failed attempt to be sure, but it was definitely different. Death Magnetic just sounded like a bunch of old men pretending to be 20 year old thrashers. I've only heard one track from Hardwired so far, but I wasn't impressed. Sounded like just more of the same.

15 hours ago, FL6 said:

I got a bit bored with all the hired shredders. Dave shreds but has an old school feel to it. I literally throw up everytime I hear sweep arpeggio's.

I agree completely. That's part of why I like Mustaine, because he does have an old-school feel. I think there's similarities between Mustaine and Jimmy Page, not in terms of style, but in the way that neither of them are exactly the most perfect technical players, but they've got a power and a feel that those technically perfect players just don't. Like on Rust in Peace, Marty Friedman's solos are just amazing, but kind of emotionless, whereas Mustaine's solos just hit you in the face. They may be a little sloppy and imprecise at times, but they have feel.

3 minutes ago, Balthazor said:

I agree completely. That's part of why I like Mustaine, because he does have an old-school feel. I think there's similarities between Mustaine and Jimmy Page, not in terms of style, but in the way that neither of them are exactly the most perfect technical players, but they've got a power and a feel that those technically perfect players just don't. Like on Rust in Peace, Marty Friedman's solos are just amazing, but kind of emotionless, whereas Mustaine's solos just hit you in the face. They may be a little sloppy and imprecise at times, but they have feel.

I was going to say that too. Dave uses a lot of pentatonic licks ala Page but with a metal/crazy feel, especially on Kill 'Em All, assuming Kirk was copying Dave's original solos. I think that's fairly accurate but I'm not 100%. Some of the early boots of Metallica with Mustaine seem to support that.

8 hours ago, Balthazor said:

I'll give Dystopia another listen, I've probably only listened to it once or twice now. To me, the best part of Death Magnetic was the instrumental. It's hard listening to Hetfield now, that guy's voice is just hosed. But the instrumental was cool, and I did like one of the other songs (it's been a while so I don't remember the titles), but overall it was just dull to me. I actually liked St. Anger more, although only slightly, because at least it was an attempt at doing something new. A failed attempt to be sure, but it was definitely different. Death Magnetic just sounded like a bunch of old men pretending to be 20 year old thrashers. I've only heard one track from Hardwired so far, but I wasn't impressed. Sounded like just more of the same.

Yeah, definitely give Dystopia another chance, I think it's worth it.  Agree with your assessment of Hardwired, basically recycled Death Magnetic.  Nothing wrong with that, but nothing I really feel like committing time to, either.  At least the album has their amazing cover of "When a Blind Man Cries" by Purple.

• 1 month later...

I have commented on other threads, but i think megadeth has the middle eastern riffs and apocolyptic lyrics market cornered for decades now. Ofcourse they are more than that...bringing that energy to most all their songs and great cover songs. Most recently on the megadeth and metallica albums, i like to hear them revisiting thrash metal while combining this ultra use of the double bass drum pedal, as a total part of riffs and rhythmic parts of songs....in totally intense guitar and drum songs that people should be blown away by...great work.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...