Richard Cole interview

Don't know if it's been posted here before, but saw this 1992 Cole interview uploaded a few days ago by Mark Zep on you tube.

Cole looks a bit like the old raffish British actor Terry-Thomas, with his dodgy 'tash, in this!

Mark Zep has some great stuff on there and recently added a Peter Grant interview as well.

Good find. Being 1992 I'm guessing he was promoting the Stairway To Heaven book at the time? I'd love to know whether Mark Zep comes on these forums as his YT channel is a goldmine of Zeppelin stuff.

Ya know, all these interviews are the same, always with the sensation, always with the scandal and the "danger." I for one would love an interview with someone like Cole to get into what was / is the important and truly informative stuff such as asking Cole to explain what his biggest challenges road managing a band during the 60's & 70's were. Ask him how being on the road affected his life and that of his family. How about asking Mr. Cole what he feels are his positive contributions as well as his regrets and possible do over's in hindsight.

Maybe I am more of a musical wonk so to speak but I am much more interested in how Cole & Grant forced change within an established industry, how much push back they got, where they got it from (whom), and how Steve Weiss was integral to the workings of Zep. That is what I would like to hear. Though I have to give Cole credit he did not slap the shit out of the interviewer after he mentioned Satanic ritual, that alone is worth a dressing down. Absolutely moronic question, as if the band were sacrificing virgins in their hotel rooms, drinking their blood, and hanging out with Pazuzu or something.

Good post though, almost 25 years ago...man, where did the time go.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Ya know, all these interviews are the same, always with the sensation, always with the scandal and the "danger." I for one would love an interview with someone like Cole to get into what was / is the important and truly informative stuff such as asking Cole to explain what his biggest challenges road managing a band during the 60's & 70's were. Ask him how being on the road affected his life and that of his family. How about asking Mr. Cole what he feels are his positive contributions as well as his regrets and possible do over's in hindsight.

Maybe I am more of a musical wonk so to speak but I am much more interested in how Cole & Grant forced change within an established industry, how much push back they got, where they got it from (whom), and how Steve Weiss was integral to the workings of Zep. That is what I would like to hear. Though I have to give Cole credit he did not slap the shit out of the interviewer after he mentioned Satanic ritual, that alone is worth a dressing down. Absolutely moronic question, as if the band were sacrificing virgins in their hotel rooms, drinking their blood, and hanging out with Pazuzu or something.

Good post though, almost 25 years ago...man, where did the time go.

I'd like to take a shot at answering some of your questions, sounds like fun (in other words I'm bored).

1) "Biggest challenges managing band during 60's & 70's". Waking self/band up, getting band to show on time, provide band sufficient entertainment after show, keep band out of jail....repeat.

2) "How did being on the road affect his life and family's". Probably the same as it did to everybody else. 

3) "Contributions": Fearlessly protected band. And of course...provided the required...fun...as was needed. 

4) "How did Grant & Cole force change in established industry". By force. 

5) "How was Steve Weiss was integral to the workings of Zep". Read a book by Steve Weiss.

4 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

I'd like to take a shot at answering some of your questions, sounds like fun (in other words I'm bored).

1) "Biggest challenges managing band during 60's & 70's". Waking self/band up, getting band to show on time, provide band sufficient entertainment after show, keep band out of jail....repeat.

2) "How did being on the road affect his life and family's". Probably the same as it did to everybody else. 

3) "Contributions": Fearlessly protected band. And of course...provided the required...fun...as was needed. 

4) "How did Grant & Cole force change in established industry". By force. 

5) "How was Steve Weiss was integral to the workings of Zep". Read a book by Steve Weiss.

Ha, good stuff...I guess most were pretty obvious. Though I did not know Steve Weiss wrote a book, thanks for that, it must be one hell of a read. On my way to Amazon.com right now.

Thank you Sir

• 2 weeks later...

What I can't believe is that even after his book and all the crap he revealed in Hammer Of The Gods, he was still invited to the Zeppelin VIP party after the O2 concert. I guess he still gets along with Page and Plant to a degree. I thought they would have cut off communication with him. Too much shared history, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived