The Beatles thread

I looked for one and couldn't find one. Saw a few things about Lennon and Harrison but nothing of the Beatles...... and considering that we have a bunch of other threads about other famous bands I thought I'd start one on the Beatles

BeatlesPillowFight.jpg

I love the Beatles I've been addicted to them since I was fourteen and have tried to read almost every book I happened upon that looked interesting

My favorite album is Abbey Road..... it's their best album I think. Also love Rubber Soul and Revolver

So yeah, what's everybody else think?

I love Abbey Road and Revolver…

Favourite songs are Let it Be, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Drive My Car.

:thumbsup:

I generally don't have a Beatles song I don't like (much like Zepp) but there are a few. Those are good songs Vannis I like them..... must ask though...... which version of Let It Be do you like the best? There are three plus the one from the Beatles Anthology so you have four to choose from :lol:

my favorite songs would be Hey Bulldog, Help!, Hey Jude, Here Comes the Sun, and Ticket to Ride

Edited by achilleslaststand77

Lifelong Beatles fan, I've heard it said that you're either a Stones fan, or a Beatles fan.....no wonder I only own one Stones record. :whistling:

I also have zero problem with, and see the genius that is Sgt. Pepper. That album gets raked over the coals alot, and I'll never understand why.  I would have loved to be in a competing band in 1967 when the Beatles dropped that one. B)

Lifelong Beatles fan, I've heard it said that you're either a Stones fan, or a Beatles fan.....no wonder I only own one Stones record. :whistling:

I also have zero problem with, and see the genius that is Sgt. Pepper. That album gets raked over the coals alot, and I'll never understand why. I would have loved to be in a competing band in 1967 when the Beatles dropped that one. B)

Well obviously the thing you heard doesn't apply to me cause both are two of my fav bands off all time ;)

I don't think Pepper is the Beatles (as a whole) best work... I'd say Revolver or Abbey Road is. Pepper was McCartney's project and it shows cause he wrote the majority of the songs. Lennon's contributions were smaller, Harrison had one song after putting three on Revolver, but I like the song Lennon and McCartney wrote for Ringo... its the best one they ever wrote for him. That said, it's still a masterpiece.... and I think Revolver is a good reason that Sgt Pepper isn't maybe as highly regarded anymore.

Yeah I can imagine this album dropped quite a few jaws when it first came out. :D

I love the Beatles. And in my opinion they are not better than Zeppelin-no way.

The Beatles are my favorite but comparing them to Zep (or any other artist for that matter), seems as pointless as naming your favorite member of the band. It's music, not some kind of competition.

That said, my favorite record is Hey Jude (aka The Beatles Again). Not a proper album, I know but still my fave.

054.gif

I do believe that based on all the numbers that these two bands have to be rated one and two of all time. You pick the order. After them I would say Stones, Who, and then maybe Pink Floyd but after the top 4 its open to debate.

What "numbers"? Sales figures? Speaking just for myself but those don't mean anything to me. There's no facts or figures whatsoever that could be used to determine the "best of all time" as it all boils down to it being a matter of opinion not fact.

I generally don't have a Beatles song I don't like (much like Zepp) but there are a few. Those are good songs Vannis I like them..... must ask though...... which version of Let It Be do you like the best? There are three plus the one from the Beatles Anthology so you have four to choose from :lol:

my favorite songs would be Hey Bulldog, Help!, Hey Jude, Here Comes the Sun, and Ticket to Ride

I love Help! and Hey Jude as well…

Okay, well, um, I've only ever heard one version of Let it Be… the most common maybe? I don't know… I don't really know all that much about the Beatles…

:blush:

Whoa, I have more Beatles songs than I thought. I have 71… I thought I had like, 20. It's still not much though…

Zep fans hate the beatles for being better.

Its the inferiority complex that keeps on giving. :thumbsup:

I hated them because it's all my siblings would listen to. Many of their songs still annoy me, mostly whatever the radio stations overplay.

But they're OK now. I love The White Album.

I love the Beatles, they're one of my favourite bands. I love them for completely different reasons than Zep, and although Zeppelin remains my favourite band, I don't think they're comparable to the Beatles in any way.

I actually just watched Help! with a friend today. :)

I've never really found it possible to pick a favourite Beatles song.

What they did in the short time they did it was absolutely incredible. I will never understand why they could never solve their differances and regroup when you look at the tremenous success. Dont really know the truth behind it all. ie who was more to blame if anyone? But Zeppelin also achieved greatness in a short time. And I must say that like another member pointed out you cant really compare them because its music so to speak, we compare groups and music all the time. The beatles had no guitarist in the same league as Jimmy Page and Im sure that Lennon himself probably wouldnt argue that. I do believe that based on all the numbers that these two bands have to be rated one and two of all time. You pick the order. After them I would say Stones, Who, and then maybe Pink Floyd but after the top 4 its open to debate.

well there are a bunch of reasons. A big one was Yoko.... but it wasn't the only one contrary to popular belief (I think it just helped speed it up.) When Lennon hooked up with her it all went downhill from there. The recording sessions the Beatles had before they left for India to study transcendental meditation were productive and they were having fun recording together (go to youtube and type in Lady Madonna or Hey Bulldog and you'll see what I mean). But afterwards for the first recording session for The White Album when Yoko arrived it went downhill... destroyed the unity. And the other three went along with it and the result made everyone miserable and short tempered. There were moments where it wasn't so bad sure but I'm speaking in general. Each member thought his own songs were more important and cared only for their own.

Harrison felt caged in with normal "two songs per album" that he received on each album... and increasingly hostile to McCartney who he felt was "bossy" (Hey Jude is an example.. McCartney didn't like the way he was playing guitar) Also George felt that he couldn't record until Paul had done three or four of his own songs first.

Well to keep this from getting really long, these feelings never changed and after all four somehow managed to make a somewhat united effort with Abbey Road they rarely saw each other after that. Each member had started some sort of a solo effort but they hadn't officially split until McCartney came public about it.

I think a factor often forgotten is that the Beatles had basically spent fourteen straight years together from their teenage years to adulthood..... they all had families when they split and were happy to stay that way

I love Help! and Hey Jude as well…

Okay, well, um, I've only ever heard one version of Let it Be… the most common maybe? I don't know… I don't really know all that much about the Beatles…

:blush:

Whoa, I have more Beatles songs than I thought. I have 71… I thought I had like, 20. It's still not much though…

You probably have the version that was released as a single. What CD did you get it off?

I love the Beatles! But, I love the Stones too. I grew up listening to both and can't imagine my childhood (and later life) without one or the other. Through them, I came to discover other music. Until Zep came along, those two bands were my favorites. To this day, I love the Beatles - seeing old pics of them or hearing one of their songs still brings a smile to my face - and I'm never ashamed to admit it.

I got it from the album Let it Be :lol:

That's NOT the single version then. The main difference is the guitar solos...to me, anyway.

It was mentioned the number of variations of Let it BE available...well, there are many, many, many from the 3-4 weeks of sessions they did while filming that movie. Hell, I've probably got 10 versions !! of EACH of the songs on Let it BE ! I love them all !

Don't let me Down was my favorite tune from those sessions...

I was never either/or with the Beatles and the Stones...I ALWAYS liked both !!

Edited by Joelmon

That's NOT the single version then. The main difference is the guitar solos...to me, anyway.

It was mentioned the number of variations of Let it BE available...well, there are many, many, many from the 3-4 weeks of sessions they did while filming that movie. Hell, I've probably got 10 versions !! of EACH of the songs on Let it BE ! I love them all !

Don't let me Down was my favorite tune from those sessions...

I was never either/or with the Beatles and the Stones...I ALWAYS liked both !!

yes the solos are different the one on the Let It Be album was recorded a year later I think

I forgot about bootlegs of Let It Be :lol:..... can't you tell I'm not a collector? The ones I knew of were the single version, the one on Let It Be, I heard Led It Be...Naked had a different version, and the one on the Anthology

they did a lot of songs during that time..... I remember reading they played Love Me Do.... I dunno if it's on a recording or not though

I will never understand why Lennon chose Yoko. Will any of us?

Because he loved Yoko and she loved him. That's all I need to know. I also don't blame her for breaking up the Beatles.

nyr10310171611widec.jpg

As for Ringo-he is still a playboy as far as I know. Isnt he on some remonte carribean island somewhere?

Ringo is still very happily married to Barbara Bach. I have no idea where they live or if he's a "playboy".

Edited by Jahfin

Nice info to know. I will never understand why Lennon chose Yoko. Will any of us? As I said, my favorite Beatle once they split was Harrison by far. He was a great talent and I can see now how McCartney has always been a bit conceited to put it mildly. Dont get me wrong, the man is a legend and I love his music, but I think George was more down to earth. As for Ringo-he is still a playboy as far as I know. Isnt he on some remonte carribean island somewhere?

I thought Ringo lived in the US but who knows :lol:? Nope I don't get it completely either I think her strangeness attracted John to her partly..... as he was always loving odd things. If anything positive happened out of him becoming attached to her it was that he started writing again.

I've never heard much of George's solo work outside of the two songs you always hear on the radio (My Sweet Lord and What is Life).

I like some of McCartney's solo work, in fact I'm listening to his Having a Wonderful Christmastime song right now. He was easily the most talented musician in the Beatles due to sheer skill.... he can/could play pretty much anything he picks up. He played the solos in Ticket to Ride, Taxman, Good Morning Good Morning, and it's disputed whether he played Hey Bulldog and the album version of Let It Be. He also hasn't really lost his vocal range with age either which is pretty neat too.