The Beatles thread

That was enjoyable! Highlights included "Something" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." And while the Paul-Ringo reunion was cool, you couldn't hear Ringo's drums AT ALL. Whenever he plays, he has another drummer playing over him. I love Abe Laboriel Jr., Paul's drummer, but I would love to hear Ringo. Did anyone notice how much Yoko danced during "Boys?"

That was enjoyable! Highlights included "Something" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." And while the Paul-Ringo reunion was cool, you couldn't hear Ringo's drums AT ALL. Whenever he plays, he has another drummer playing over him. I love Abe Laboriel Jr., Paul's drummer, but I would love to hear Ringo. Did anyone notice how much Yoko danced during "Boys?"

Yoko seemed to enjoy the event best I could tell.

I stuck with the whole show - better than I was expecting.

^^^

Watching it now.

Sunday afternoon. Congregation of Beatles fans outside Capitol Records on Vine St. celebrating 50th anniversary of Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. Birthday cake was served. I have no memories of watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan...for two reasons.

1. I was too young; being only 1 1/2 years old.

2. We didn't even get our first TV until 1966.

post-1470-0-11639900-1392012823_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-30716000-1392012882_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-64966200-1392012936_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-14948100-1392012987_thumb.jp

Well, that was certainly...um...something? As usual with these things, the quality was all over the place and it makes you wonder how one of these confabs would be if they did one for Led Zeppelin. Disaster?

Since the Beatles tribute was taped the same time as the Grammys, we get Pharrell Williams and his goofy Dudley Do-Right/Smokey the Bear hat and those damned infernal Cirque de Soleil acrobats...which unnecessarily distracted from "Here Comes the Sun".

Which points to a major flaw in just about all show productions these days: An inability to trust in a song to communicate to the audience without cluttering it up with gizmos and histrionics. Also, must every director overuse that annoying ploy of showing celebrity audience members singing and swaying along to the song? Usually badly and offbeat, at that.

Ringo singing "With a Little Help From My Friends" was one of the highlights for me.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but the LA broadcast was definitely edited and missing songs, like "Hey Bulldog" and "Magical Mystery Tour". Biggest mystery is why Paul chose to end with "Hey Jude" instead of his concert showstopper "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End"? That would have brought down the house.

Oh well, at least they didn't end it with that snooze-fest "Let It Be".

For those keeping score, here was the setlist for the actual concert before CBS got their grubby little hands on it. Thank god I missed Maroon 5.

All My Loving (partial) Maroon 5

Ticket to Ride Maroon 5

Dont Let Me Down John Mayer and Keith Urban

In My Life Ed Sheeran

Let It Be - Alicia Keys and John Legend

Revolution Imagine Dragons

Yesterday Katy Perry

Fool on the Hill Eurythmics

Here Comes the Sun - Brad Paisley and Pharrell Williams

Hey Bulldog - Dave Grohl and Jeff Lynne

Something Lynne, Joe Walsh, and Dhani Harrison

While My Guitar Gently Weeps Joe Walsh and Gary Clark Jr. (with Grohl on drums)

We Can Work It Out Stevie Wonder

Matchbox Ringo Starr

Boys Ringo

Yellow Submarine Ringo

Magical Mystery Tour Paul McCartney

Birthday McCartney

Get Back McCartney

"I Saw Her Standing There" -- McCartney

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band/ With a Little Help From My Friends McCartney and Ringo

Hey Jude McCartney (with Ringo on drums)

^^^

Thanks Pagey!

Strider, I saw Hey Bulldog and I'm in LA, I think you missed it somehow.

I missed the first hour...I started watching just as the Eurythmics were doing "Fool on the Hill". So CBS must have shown "Hey Bulldog" out of sequence earlier in the program, because I did see "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

Which was good...but nowhere near as great as the version Tom Petty and Prince laid down at the 2004 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction.

I thought the tv special on cbs, us tv, was very good. The artists performed the songs on their own merits and allowed the songs to stay beatles songs, without trying to blow them up, American idol style. With the ringo and paul sets, the fun and emotion factors arced way up and made for great television. I thought the 45 records on the stage background screen was a very cool graphic...that translated well for tv.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd never heard "It's All Too Much" until today, good tune, I particularly like when the horns come in. Strider - not really important, but in the link you sent is that a small piece of "Ode to Joy" at around 4:40? Thanks for posting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Still sick, McCartney cancels 2 more Tokyo shows
May 18, 2014, 11:53 AM EST

TOKYO (AP) — Paul McCartney canceled his second concert in Tokyo on Sunday, as well as the makeup performance for the one nixed a day earlier, and apologized to his fans for still being sick with a virus.

The former Beatle said on his "Out There Japan Tour 2014" site that he wanted to perform Sunday against doctors' orders, but that his team wouldn't allow it.

"Unfortunately my condition has not improved overnight," he said. "I was really hoping that I'd be feeling better today. I'm so disappointed and sorry to be letting my fans down."

McCartney, 71, got sick Friday, and canceled his concert at the National Stadium in Tokyo at the last minute Saturday. But he had promised to be well enough to perform Sunday and do an additional concert Monday.

The tour site said McCartney instructed his team to look into rescheduling options. Ticket holders were advised to hold on to them, but where and when the concerts would be held was unclear.

Organizers said McCartney's scheduled performance was still on for Wednesday at Nippon Budokan hall in Tokyo, the same venue where the Beatles took the stage during their visit to Japan in 1966.

McCartney's tour continues to Yanmar Stadium Nagai in Osaka on Saturday, then to Seoul, before hitting several U.S. venues, including Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

McCartney said he was moved by the messages of concern and support he was receiving from his Japanese fans.

"I'm so very touched," he said.

Edited by SteveAJones

We're always talking about the good old Led Zepp reunion. But I wonder if Lennon hadnt got killed if these guys would have ever reunited as The Beatles again?

We'll never know of course but I put it at 50/50 at best. There just seemed to be so much bad mojo between these guys even many years after they broke up.

(P.S. sorry if this has been asked before on another thread, if so ignore it lol).