The Beatles thread

50 years ago today, "A Hard Day's Night" had its premiere in London.

Just as The Beatles had an immense impact on music, hair, fashion, so did their film debut have an impact on cinema. From the kinetic cinematography and editing to the irreverancy of the band themselves, you can see the influence of "A Hard Day's Night" far and wide...from "The Monkees" to MTV...from "Laugh-In" to "Saturday Night Live"...from "The Rutles" to "Spinal Tap". In one stroke, it changed how a band could present themselves on film and also set the bar very high for future acts.

How frustrating it must have been for Elvis Presley to not only see The Beatles eclipse him musically, but also cinematically...and in just their first film.

To this day, "A Hard Day's Night" is a joyous romp and the chemistry and freshness of the boys leaps off the screen. A must-see if you haven't seen it, various theatres around the country are showing it this week on the occasion of the new Criterion DVD release. If a theatre near you is screening it, do yourself a favour and see it on the big screen.

Otherwise, get the Criterion DVD...it is an essential film for your collection.

http://www.criterion.com/films/28547-a-hard-day-s-night

Edited by Strider

50 years ago today, "A Hard Day's Night" had its premiere in London.

Just as The Beatles had an immense impact on music, hair, fashion, so did their film debut have an impact on cinema. From the kinetic cinematography and editing to the irreverancy of the band themselves, you can see the influence of "A Hard Day's Night" far and wide...from "The Monkees" to MTV...from "Laugh-In" to "Saturday Night Live"...from "The Rutles" to "Spinal Tap". In one stroke, it changed how a band could present themselves on film and also set the bar very high for future acts.

How frustrating it must have been for Elvis Presley to not only see The Beatles eclipse him musically, but also cinematically...and in just their first film.

To this day, "A Hard Day's Night" is a joyous romp and the chemistry and freshness of the boys leaps off the screen. A must-see if you haven't seen it, various theatres around the country are showing it this week on the occasion of the new Criterion DVD release. If a theatre near you is screening it, do yourself a favour and see it on the big screen.

Otherwise, get the Criterion DVD...it is an essential film for your collection.

http://www.criterion.com/films/28547-a-hard-day-s-night

Thanks Charles J. White! I heard about this yesterday. I was thinking I should go see it.

And I like some of Elvis' music, but I can't stomach his movies. :lol:

Thanks Charles J. White! I heard about this yesterday. I was thinking I should go see it.

And I like some of Elvis' music, but I can't stomach his movies. :lol:

While it is true CJW and I share a passion for water and the great outdoors, we are not the same person. ;)

Hope you did choose to go see "A Hard Day's Night".

Loved your fav Ringo drumwork choice, Willoughby.

Here's my favourite for bass work from Macca. Isolated Bass.

http://youtu.be/u5ZaR2RkYhg

Thanks man! Liked your post too, holy shit Ringos drum sounds crazy during the bridge! (You can talk to me...) Never heard that before. They have so many outtakes and such its kinda overwhelming.