The Beatles thread

Listening to George's I Need You the other day i find that song would be so different if mixed with drum & bass more up front...any live versions?

They never performed "I Need You" live. Incredibly, "If I Needed Someone" was the only Harrisong The Beatles played live (1966 tours).

Were you listening to "I Need You" in stereo or mono? For a more balanced mix with a more prominent rhythm section, try the mono version.

• 2 weeks later...

11 Rare Beatles Pics You've Never Seen Before That Just Surfaced

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/02/beatles-rare-photos_n_6598194.html

You can totally tell the difference in their attitudes between the '64, '65 and '66 pics. In the 1964 pictures they still look happy and enthusiastic, not sick of "Beatlemania" quite yet. In the '65 shots you get a sense of "Ho hum...here we go again!". By 1966 they looked exhausted; Lennon in particular looks pretty burned out (although their drug use was intensifying by that point, which might also have something do with it...). It's no wonder The Beatles gave up touring...I bet if they hadn't, at least one of them would have ended up a Charter Member of the ol' "27 Club"...

• 2 weeks later...

The total effect of the chord would be lost today, given the improved recording technology (each instrument would be on its own track etc). The opening chord of "A Hard Day's Night" is a prime example of how The Beatles were able to push their four track recording abilities to the limit.

Too bad they sorta fucked up the chord on the 2009 AHDN remaster- give it a listen, it sounds like the tape was damaged or something...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The rhythm guitar, and the lead guitar, with the wonderful George lyric, it's such a great song; it's one of my fav Beatles song. Takes me back to be a 6 year old sitting in front of the turntable just amazed and wondering how and why and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7nIWKApT30

The rhythm guitar, and the lead guitar, with the wonderful George lyric, it's such a great song; it's one of my fav Beatles song. Takes me back to be a 6 year old sitting in front of the turntable just amazed and wondering how and why and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7nIWKApT30

Good Harrisong indeed...they really foreshadowed the Rubber Soul sound here. I'm not a big fan of the Help! LP (IMO that one and Yellow Submarine are easily the Fab's weakest albums) but "I Need You" I always liked.

Edited by Nutrocker

Jesus, what is it with Beatles alumni and cancer? George, Cyn, Maureen, Neil Aspinall, Derek Taylor...probably more I'm not thinking of...yeah, I know all these guys smoked like chimneys but the cancer stats amongst the Beatles inner circle seem almost off the charts or something.

One of my fave pics of Ringo. I've been getting back into the Beatles and playing along with their songs on my Roland kit and I have to say that Ringo does some very complex drumming. I really love playing to 'In My Life.' :)

post-503-0-06621700-1428710773_thumb.jpg

^^^

anybody who says Ringo is a bad drummer is a fuckin' idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about (and obviously doesn't play drums themselves). Ol' Ritchie has a style all his own, often imitated but never duplicated (part of Ringo's secret is that he's a southpaw playing a right handed kit). I reckon some of Ringo's best work is on John's Plastic Ono Band LP.

^^^

anybody who says Ringo is a bad drummer is a fuckin' idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about (and obviously doesn't play drums themselves). Ol' Ritchie has a style all his own, often imitated but never duplicated (part of Ringo's secret is that he's a southpaw playing a right handed kit). I reckon some of Ringo's best work is on John's Plastic Ono Band LP.

Ringo was voted one of the top 25 drummers in Modern Drummer magazine. Of course you'll have many throwing fits about that. But his style is so damned unique and I did not know he was a southpaw. Very interesting. Thanks. :)

Do you guys think Ringo deserves to get into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a solo artist? I don't.

I can't remember, has George Harrison been inducted as a solo artist? If not, George deserves to be in before Ringo...the quality of their solo material is about even IMO, so why the hell not?

Not that the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame really represents anything these days other than a massive ego trip on the part of Jann Wenner :lol:

I can't remember, has George Harrison been inducted as a solo artist? If not, George deserves to be in before Ringo...the quality of their solo material is about even IMO, so why the hell not?

Yea Ringo is the last one to get in.

Not that the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame really represents anything these days other than a massive ego trip on the part of Jann Wenner :lol:

Yea it's hard to take these things too seriously... ;)

On the subject of solo Ringo, I have got to vote "No". It's not HoF worthy, in my opinion. But then, they've already allowed in lesser candidates, so it's a moot point now.

Pretty soon Led Zeppelin and the Beatles will be sharing space with Maria Carey.

+1 This.