The Beatles thread

• 1 month later...

A lifetime's worth of a Beatle's 'stuff' heads to auction Dec. 3-5

When a Beatle decides to clean out his closets, odds are the outcome will be a cooler-than-average yard sale.

Sure enough, as Ringo Starr and his wife, actress Barbara Bach, swept through Julien’s Auctions house in Beverly Hills on Tuesday night for one more look at all the “stuff” they’ve decided to sell off for charity, eyes popped and jaws dropped at the lifetime’s worth of objects — more than 1,300 — that the couple has collected.

Dozens of framed gold and platinum record awards for Starr’s recordings with the Fab Four and on his own, distinctive outfits he’s worn on stage and while hanging out with his superstar rock pals, a plethora of Beatles collectibles — Ringo’s “Yellow Submarine” lunch box and thermos, anyone? — Ringo rings and other jewelry and, perhaps most tantalizing to Beatles fans around the world, numerous musical instruments, a few among the most iconic in the history of popular music.

The latter include Starr’s signature Ludwig drum kit with “The Beatles” logo on the bass drum head, which has a pre-auction estimate of $300,000 to $500,000, and two guitars formerly owned and played by bandmates John Lennon and George Harrison. Lennon’s 1964 Rickenbacker electric is expected to fetch $600,000 to $800,000, and Harrison’s 1962 Gretsch “Chet Atkins” Tennessean model is estimated to sell for $100,000 to $200,000.

Then there is Starr’s own copy of the band’s 1968 double album “The Beatles,” commonly referred to as “The White Album” for its plain white cover, with only the group’s name embossed in raised letters and the serial number stamped into each copy—in Starr’s case, number 0000001.

:drool:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-ringo-starr-beatles-auction-juliens-charity-20151202-story.html

• 2 months later...

New Eric Clapton Album to Feature George Harrison's Vocals and Guitar

Eric Clapton has announced a new studio album for this spring, and it will include contributions from an old friend.

The new set I Still Do drops May 20 and features acoustic guitar and vocals on the track “I Will Be There” from a musician named Angelo Mysterioso. This just happens to be a pseudonym used decades ago by none other than George Harrison.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6882740/eric-clapton-george-harrison-new-song-i-still-do-angelo-mysterioso

• 1 month later...

Perhaps the only band with a catalogue that can match Zeppelin's.

My top 25 Beatles Songs.

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  2. Something
  3. Across the Universe
  4. Here Comes The Sun
  5. In My Life
  6. Help!
  7. Two of Us
  8. Eleanor Rigby
  9. Strawberry Fields Forever
  10. I Am The Walrus
  11. With A Little Help From My Friends
  12. Dear Prudence
  13. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
  14. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
  15. Helter Skelter
  16. Yesterday
  17. Octopus' Garden
  18. She's Leaving Home
  19. For No One
  20. Back in the U.S.S.R.
  21. I Me Mine
  22. I Want You (She's So Heavy)
  23. Blue Jay Way
  24. Hello Goodbye
  25. Tomorrow Never Knows

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2016 at 10:42 PM, California Evermore said:

The Beatles were really important to me and my friends in high school.   They were also very important to me and my wife in our early years of marriage.  There is so much that is special about their music to me and to us.  They helped me through a lot of days and nights. 

Great post

Vin Skully just said the Beatles played at Dodger stadium 50 years ago today.   The Hells Angels had to help them "escape" the fans surrounding an ambulance that was to take them out of the stadium.  They played 11 songs in 27 minutes.  Went to Candlestick Park and played their last live performance.  I believe that may have been way before the roof concert in NY

• 2 weeks later...
On 28 August 2016 at 10:50 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Vin Skully just said the Beatles played at Dodger stadium 50 years ago today.   The Hells Angels had to help them "escape" the fans surrounding an ambulance that was to take them out of the stadium.  They played 11 songs in 27 minutes.  Went to Candlestick Park and played their last live performance.  I believe that may have been way before the roof concert in NY

Rick, the rooftop concert was in London on top of the Apple building.

On 7/25/2016 at 4:19 PM, 2bitnogoodjive said:

On 9/9/2016 at 8:03 AM, The Pagemeister said:

Saw it in the theatre earlier tonight. Enjoyable and well made, although no particularly new information. The thing that really made it worth it was that they showed the entire 1965 Shea Stadium performance after the film. ^_^

19 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Saw it in the theatre earlier tonight. Enjoyable and well made, although no particularly new information. The thing that really made it worth it was that they showed the entire 1965 Shea Stadium performance after the film. ^_^

Going to see it tomorrow if all works out. Can't wait. Even though I have had boots of the Shea Stadium and Hollywood Bowl shows for years, to see it in official quality will be a treat. Tantamount to if the BBC had had cameras rolling on Led Zeppelin's sessions.

17 hours ago, Strider said:

Going to see it tomorrow if all works out. Can't wait. Even though I have had boots of the Shea Stadium and Hollywood Bowl shows for years, to see it in official quality will be a treat. Tantamount to if the BBC had had cameras rolling on Led Zeppelin's sessions.

Same! Enjoy it, man! :drinks:

21 hours ago, Strider said:

BTW I saw your post on Facebook, hope you don't fall asleep during this one. ;)

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, craigled said:

I love The Beatles. All the tracks are great. I mean that. But my faves are Jude, Hello goodbye and Yesterday. I think everybody likes at least 1 Beatles track.

I went even a step further...my daughter's second name is Revolution.