Definitive Blueberry Hill

Xolo1974

On 10/30/2018 at 12:21 AM, porgie66 said:

Right! Forgot about that ...good patience! 

Actually, don’t know if I can wait that long. My birthday is the 22nd December. I’ll sort it so I get to open it then. So it will be winging its way to you over the internet in time for the Christmas holidays 

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Actually, don’t know if I can wait that long. My birthday is the 22nd December. I’ll sort it so I get to open it then. So it will be winging its way to you over the internet in time for the Christmas holidays 

Ha, ok...unless someone posts it up at dime or TD. 

10 hours ago, Ocean73 said:

Cobla and the Sanctuary label is what Ive always went to for this show.Any upgrades cant be much better unless a SB comes to light.

The GZ version uses the same source. A soundboard of this would be terrific. A holy grail for me, in conjunction with the FULL Osaka 29/9/71

On 10/28/2018 at 2:52 PM, ZepHead315 said:

A user on Royal Orleans is attempting to do just that. He's using four sources: TMOQ, Rubber Dubber and Sources 3 and 5.

He's posted a few samples here and there, but it's still a work in progress:

Since I've Been Loving You: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ccID7JAkApaPpji1NrujUZj_ZF2j2Lyp/view

Bring It On Home: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10O6r-RBEiizMS47vTntXmUEI_AWZ6t5A/view

Dazed and Confused: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1drFqe36V4cgxuEsDc0foneq6i6DxaeRU/view

I'd worry about the Def Leppard effect.

5 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

What's that?

When you have so many tracks layered on top of each other it sucks the life out of the sound. When Def Leppard first started, they were a pretty good band. But starting with "Pyromania" and reaching its nadar with "Hysteria", producer Robert Mutt Lange got a bug up his ass about overdoing the overdubs and layering track after track after track of vocals and guitars to the point where it sounded so fake and processed. He ruined that band.

It's one thing to use other sources to patch in gaps in the primary source tape. But to layer four different audience tapes at the same time sounds like pushing it too far to me.

Edited by Strider

5 hours ago, Strider said:

When Def Leppard first started, they were a pretty good band. But starting with "Pyromania" and reaching its nadar with "Hysteria", producer Robert Mutt Lange got a bug up his ass about overdoing the overdubs and layering track after track after track of vocals and guitars to the point where it sounded so fake and processed. He ruined that band.

Totally agree! On Through the Night is a great debut and I liked High N Dry and Pyromania too.  After Rick's accident, tragic as it was, I moved on and got into bands like R.E.M, The Cure and Joy Division. 

15 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

The GZ version uses the same source. A soundboard of this would be terrific. A holy grail for me, in conjunction with the FULL Osaka 29/9/71

Ive heard 929 so many times through the years Im more ready to hear 928 in sb fashion.The audience recording from the 28th aint all bad though.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:55 AM, Ocean73 said:

Ive heard 929 so many times through the years Im more ready to hear 928 in sb fashion.The audience recording from the 28th aint all bad though.

I agree, after listening to the new sndbrd 9/29 release in conjunction w/the insertion of the 9/28 Black Dog board, the sound is outstanding and the performance is ferocious, Pagey is all out randy, especially at the end of it, can't wait to hear the rest if I can live long enough  . . .

On 11/14/2018 at 12:13 AM, Strider said:

When you have so many tracks layered on top of each other it sucks the life out of the sound. When Def Leppard first started, they were a pretty good band. But starting with "Pyromania" and reaching its nadar with "Hysteria", producer Robert Mutt Lange got a bug up his ass about overdoing the overdubs and layering track after track after track of vocals and guitars to the point where it sounded so fake and processed. He ruined that band.

It's one thing to use other sources to patch in gaps in the primary source tape. But to layer four different audience tapes at the same time sounds like pushing it too far to me.

Oh ok, thanks!

As a collectors Item the double vinyl LP at Trade Mark of Quality label is the best buy overall... the DVD-Audio at Genuine Masters GM-LZ-04.09.1970-DVD has the best sound (I think). There is also a Blu-Ray 5.1 version in circulation based on a remaster of the original reel-to-reel tape. I heard the BD-version at a rock club in Berlin, Germany last summer. FANTASTIC SOUND!

On 10/31/2018 at 2:42 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Hi Neil, congrats in advance to your birthday-christmas present. Got my GZ BH yesterday, it is amazingly good. No doubt, to my ears the definite version of source 3 & BH in general. Instruments are perfectly balanced, voice & guitar never sounded that good. Also, drums and bass are much clearer, in fact the bass notes can be heard in detail like never before, and yes, it has an extraordinary punch in the lower frequencies. By the way, the 3rd CD with rubber dubber- source two is excellent too.

So, when your family leaves home for visiting remote relatives, you know what to do.

12 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Hi Neil, congrats in advance to your birthday-christmas present. Got my GZ BH yesterday, it is amazingly good. No doubt, to my ears the definite version of source 3 & BH in general. Instruments are perfectly balanced, voice & guitar never sounded that good. Also, drums and bass are much clearer, in fact the bass notes can be heard in detail like never before, and yes, it has an extraordinary punch in the lower frequencies. By the way, the 3rd CD with rubber dubber- source two is excellent too.

So, when your family leaves home for visiting remote relatives, you know what to do.

Brilliant. Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to hearing it! 

• 4 weeks later...

Just heard the latest Graf Zeppelin version of Blueberry Hill. I have to say - it’s the best version of the show I’ve heard (but I’ve not heard the original Cobla/Cobra version). It’s source 3....and disc 3 is the Rubber Dubber source. 

I just like the sound a lot better than the Winston or EAP versions. The latter is just too shrill for me. 

Unless a soundboard comes out, I won’t be seeking another or source of this show. 

Happy Christmas everyone