Definitive Blueberry Hill

Xolo1974

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

The more I explore this matter, the more bloody confusing it gets šŸ˜ @pluribusĀ @porgie66. I managed to download from guitars 101 the EV 9 disc release from last year.Ā 

Iā€™ve listened to what they call the ā€˜Cobra sourceā€™ and Iā€™m not that impressed. Doesnā€™t sound as good as the YouTube post above.Ā 

The EV release also has a TMOQ alternate source. God knows what that is. Also an Antrabata source

EV's Cobra source is Source 5, TMOQ alternate source is Source 3, andĀ Antrabata source is Source 4.

Ā 

27 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Wow! That's completely different than Brannons info. Now I'm confused!Ā 

Brannon refers toĀ Source 4 and Source 5 based on his definition of what eachĀ sourceā€™sĀ firstĀ appearance was. What he calls Source 5, mostĀ people refer to as Source 4,Ā theĀ Tarantura ā€œnewā€ source from the 90s.Ā It wasnā€™t until Source 5 appeared in the 2000s thatĀ people realized that parts of that one had been used as a splicing source on bootlegsĀ before the Tarantura Source 4 came out.Ā 

Edited by pluribus

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Do you know what their source mix is? I think it maļ»æy be the same as the fan share on dime from some years ago with the same title.Ā  Ā The following is the text from that version.

I have no idea. It is stereo, donĀ“t know if only one source or different sources has been used.

6 hours ago, pluribus said:

EV's Cobra source is Source 5, TMOQ alternate source is Source 3, andĀ Antrabata source is Source 4.

Ā 

Thanks mate. Iā€™ve now checked out the TMOQ alt source. I think itā€™s the best by a mile.Ā 

It was so much easier pre CD, early seventies I had two versions, aĀ 2 LP TMOQ on red and amber vinyl in stereo and a 2 LP set onĀ black vinyl which was mono (can't temember the label). Now there are six sources the lineage of them is often confused, source numbers sometimes wrong, tweaked for this, tweaked for that. Best thing to do is download them all then make your own desicion as to which is best.

12 hours ago, pluribus said:

Brannon refers toĀ Source 4 and Source 5 based on his definition of what eachĀ sourceā€™sĀ firstĀ appearance was. What he calls Source 5, mostĀ people refer to as Source 4,Ā theĀ Tarantura ā€œnewā€ source from the 90s.Ā It wasnā€™t until Source 5 appeared in the 2000s thatĀ people realized that parts of that one had been used as a splicing source on bootlegsĀ before the Tarantura Source 4 came out.Ā 

Thanks for clarifying, I knew you could. šŸ‘šŸ¼

12 hours ago, JTM said:

It was so much easier pre CD, early seventies I had two versions, aĀ 2 LP TMOQ on red and amber vinyl in stereo and a 2 LP set onĀ black vinyl which was mono (can't temember the label). Now there are six sources the lineage of them is often confused, source numbers sometimes wrong, tweaked for this, tweaked for that. Best thing to do is download them all then make your own desicion as to which is best.

Yeah thatā€™s what Iā€™ve done and Ā Iā€™m left with four: Eat a Peach, Heavy Vibraphones, Cobra Source and the partial ā€˜Dubā€™ version.Ā 

Iā€™ll make call on which is the best one over the next couple of weeks.Ā 

I also have the recent Graf Zeppelin release for Christmas. Does anyone know which sources were used on this?Ā 

Ā 

6 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Yeah thatā€™s what Iā€™ve done and Ā Iā€™m left with four: Eat a Peach, Heavy Vibraphones, Cobra Source and the partial ā€˜Dubā€™ version.Ā 

Iā€™ll make call on which is the best one over the next couple of weeks.Ā 

I also have the recent Graf Zeppelin release for Christmas. Does anyone know which sources were used on this?Ā 

Ā 

Check www.argenteumastrum.comĀ 

That site is much better in detailed source breakdown than Bootledz IMO.

Edited by zepster1979

I've checked and the new BH title on the Golden Eggs is based upon source #4Ā  (a stereophonic source that was released years ago by the Beelzebub CDR solely and used by Cobra on their mixdown years back) and is completed by source #3 (Mud Dogs) and source #5 (Tarantura 1997). Looks like it is a different mix than Cobra's and keeping in mind of what the label did with previous version, it should be one to get.

9 hours ago, zepster1979 said:

I've checked and the new BH title on the Golden Eggs is based upon source #4Ā  (a stereophonic source that was released years ago by the Beelzebub CDR solely and used by Cobra on their mixdown years back) and is completed by source #3 (Mud Dogs) and source #5 (Tarantura 1997). Looks like it is a different mix than Cobra's and keeping in mind of what the label did with previous version, it should be one to get.

Have you compared it to Empress Valley ā€œCobraā€Ā source mix from the box set, or Winston Remasters Great Love Affair? Is it a clone of one of those? I think those are the only mixes based around that source (stereo Source 4 aka Source 5)

13 hours ago, pluribus said:

Have you compared it to Empress Valley ā€œCobraā€Ā source mix from the box set, or Winston Remasters Great Love Affair? Is it a clone of one of those? I think those are the only mixes based around that source (stereo Source 4 aka Source 5)

Winston's is based on that stereo source and it's a decent effort. I think Moonchild pressed his on silvers.Ā  I highly doubt Gold Eggshells did anything more than maybe EQ what was already freely available on the internet.Ā 

Edited by porgie66

14 hours ago, pluribus said:

This is the same mix but not the clone. Source transitions are much better done, and the quality is better as both, Cobra and EV, have tweaked their copys heavily. What made me especially surprised is a source breakdown between the banter before the Whole Lotta Love and the song itself, where there's a cut on the stereophonic tape. Golden Eggs did a great job, splicing another excellent sounding source here, making this transition very smooth, not jarring at all. Overall, this is a hugeĀ  improvement over of what was available for that source for years. Winsotn is tweaked as hell also, and the source transitions are poorly done IMO.

Edited by zepster1979

2 hours ago, zepster1979 said:

This is the same mix but not the clone. Source transitions are much better done, and the quality is better as both, Cobra and EV, have tweaked their copys heavily. What made me especially surprised is a source breakdown between the banter before the Whole Lotta Love and the song itself, where there's a cut on the stereophonic tape. Golden Eggs did a great job, splicing another excellent sounding source here, making this transition very smooth, not jarring at all. Overall, this is a hugeĀ  improvement over of what was available for that source for years. Winsotn is tweaked as hell also, and the source transitions are poorly done IMO.

Oh, so youā€™ve heard this? Bloody hell that was quick. Is it definitive? If so thatā€™s great. Iā€™ve never heard anything before from this label that is my go to.Ā 

6 hours ago, No Quota said:

Has anyone tried a matrix combining the sources? Ā 

It works with aud and sb to enhance the overall sound Ā 

Maybe the aud sources overlapping could do the same?

Ā 

There is one, it's known as the three sourceĀ  "Slumpy Matrix"Ā 

Source 1 - Blueberry Hill [Genuine Masters]Ā 
Source 2 - Blueberry Hill [5th source]Ā 
Source 3 - Blueberry Hill [Rubber Dubber] - patches onlyĀ 
Ā 

On 10/24/2018 at 10:46 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Thanks mate. Already tried it but no infoĀ 

No info? You must be kidding! Did you really check this site?

www.argenteumastrum.com ---> Tour Dates ---> 1970 ---> Sith North American Tour ---> scroll down to September 4th

Ā 

7 hours ago, No Quota said:

Has anyone tried a matrix combining the sources? Ā 

It works with aud and sb to enhance the overall sound Ā 

Maybe the aud sources overlapping could do the same?

Ā 

A user on Royal Orleans is attempting to do just that. He's using four sources: TMOQ, Rubber Dubber and Sources 3 and 5.

He's posted a few samples here and there, but it's still a work in progress:

Since I've Been Loving You:Ā https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ccID7JAkApaPpji1NrujUZj_ZF2j2Lyp/view

Bring It On Home:Ā https://drive.google.com/file/d/10O6r-RBEiizMS47vTntXmUEI_AWZ6t5A/view

Dazed and Confused:Ā https://drive.google.com/file/d/1drFqe36V4cgxuEsDc0foneq6i6DxaeRU/view

Ā 

Edited by ZepHead315
Added links

1 hour ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

No info? You must be kidding! Did you really check this site?

www.argenteumastrum.com ---> Tour Dates ---> 1970 ---> Sith North American Tour ---> scroll down to September 4th

Ā 

Oh just checked it out. Thanks. So if Iā€™m reading it right, it looks like the recent Graf Zeppelin release uses sources 3 (primary) and source 2 (patches). Well in that case thatā€™s terrific, as theyā€™re my favourite two sources. Canā€™t wait to hear it. I think this will be definitive for me

9 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Oh just checked it out. Thanks. So if Iā€™m reading it right, it looks like the recent Graf Zeppelin release uses sources 3 (primary) and source 2 (patches). Well in that case thatā€™s terrific, as theyā€™re my favourite two sources. Canā€™t wait to hear it. I think this will be definitive for me

Very curious to hear this one, and how it compares to the cobra version