Definitive Blueberry Hill

Xolo1974

On 10/1/2019 at 11:44 AM, Mattius said:

My 6CD version Came Today! Unfortunately as expected EVSD have not credited Night Owl. No mention whatsoever! :(

the last 2 CDs are from Night Owl ? Are they the same disc?

Brannon says: the "Stereo Matrix." The matrix was also simultaneously released as a 2cd title. It's basically those same four cds mixed together, playing at the same time.
Empress Valley never isolates separate sources in boxes in which they repeat the same show over and over. They're entirely missing the point. It's a bigger crime than their mixing two different shows together and passing it off as a single show.

• 4 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 4:50 AM, The Only Way To Fly said:

Totally agree! On Through the Night is a great debut and I liked High N Dry and Pyromania too.  After Rick's accident, tragic as it was, I moved on and got into bands like R.E.M, The Cure and Joy Division. 

Not to turn this into a Def Leppard forum But I LOVED their first 3 and hated them after.  The first 2 just released as a Delux box with live tracks and demos.  Its fantastic 

• 3 months later...

I have a version "5th Source (Stereo-Aud) Inglewood CA The Forum" not marked as anything except the txt file has "note: This is the best version of this show."

If Night Owl is an improvement, I'd also like a link thanks.

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I have a version "5th Source (Stereo-Aud) Inglewood CA The Forum" not marked as anything except the txt file has "note: This is the best version of this show."

If Night Owl is an improvement, I'd also like a link thanks.

It definitely is an upgrade. Besides, source three is the best

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is the story on this?  I have never seen a bootleg issued on reel-to-reel, although as popular as reel-to-reels still were in the 1970s, I suppose it is not out of the realm of possibility that TMOQ would press a few reel-to-reels for the market. 

The sound on this is better than my vinyl...the acoustics are so clear I can hear faint audience chatter that I never heard before. This has balls in the low end that many releases of this tape lack.

But two things give me pause that this is a genuine original TMOQ release from 1970. One is that the songs are in the concert order, not the order of the original vinyl. Two, "Blueberry Hill" fades out a minute into the song instead of being the full performance.

That is the third source for Blueberry Hill, which is not the source released on TMOQ Blueberry Hill. The third source was used for the acoustic bonus tracks on Three Days After. The tape sources that exist of the TMOQ source (such as the one used for the Neutral Zone boot) are in the same order as the vinyl and have the same edits.

15 hours ago, ed141 said:

That is the third source for Blueberry Hill, which is not the source released on TMOQ Blueberry Hill. The third source was used for the acoustic bonus tracks on Three Days After. The tape sources that exist of the TMOQ source (such as the one used for the Neutral Zone boot) are in the same order as the vinyl and have the same edits.

What is, who are you quoting ?

1 minute ago, ed141 said:

Referring to Strider's post of a fake TMOQ Blueberry Hill reel to reel.

Ok, cheers. I always thought the TMOQ was the second source. Back when I bought it 1973  I can only remember there being the TMOQ on coloured vinyl and another that was on black vinyl, the label I can't recall, though I had them both, the TMOQ was stereo the other was mono.

18 hours ago, ed141 said:

Ok, I am sort of confused now.

There was Rubber Dubber's "Live at the Los Angeles Forum 9-4-70" tape…incomplete but fairly good audience stereo tape. Then there was Ken and Dub's tape used for the Blimp/TMOQ label release, which is the more common version. I thought it was their tape used for both the "Live on Blueberry Hill" vinyl (chopped up and songs out of order) and the acoustic songs from 9-4-70 added to TMOQ's "Three Days After" boot of 6-3-73 Forum?

Are you saying that TMOQ had a second set of guys taping the 9-4-70 Forum show and that this tape was used for the acoustic songs on "Three Days After"? Why wasn't Ken and Dub's tape used or did they not capture the acoustic set?

And this still doesn't answer the provenance of this guy's reel-to-reel tape of "Blueberry Hill". When and how was this made? How many reel-to-reels exist of this show. In the description of his YouTube upload he says he has more bootleg reel-to-reels.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

There was Rubber Dubber's "Live at the Los Angeles Forum 9-4-70" tape…incomplete but fairly good audience stereo tape. Then there was Ken and Dub's tape used for the Blimp/TMOQ label release, which is the more common version. I thought it was their tape used for both the "Live on Blueberry Hill" vinyl (chopped up and songs out of order) and the acoustic songs from 9-4-70 added to TMOQ's "Three Days After" boot of 6-3-73 Forum?

Dub Taylor's mono recording (source 1) was only used for Live at Blueberry Hill. Although the recording contains the acoustic tracks, a stereo recording different than the one used for Rubber Dubber (source 3) was used for the acoustic tracks on Three Days After. I assume Ken and Dub's tape wasn't used due to the third source being in stereo and Dub's tape being in mono. The acoustic tracks weren't available from Dub's recording until the Neutral Zone boot was released in 1989. I assume the reel to reel was a one off done by whoever the YouTube uploader got it from, likely a digital transfer dubbed to reel (possibly Cobra Standard boot, since the source 3 cuts are patched with source 1).

Edited by ed141

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Inthelateafternoon said:

Moonchild has the title Ultimate Blueberry Hill. Does anyone know if that uses the Nite Owl source?

I'm pretty sure the latest incarnation of BB Hill on Moonchild has the Nite Owl matrix. 

Edited by duckman

• 5 months later...