Moonchild - Winston remasters new label?

porgie66

1 hour ago, gcczep said:

Picked up Tokyo 9/23-24/71, Osaka 9/29/71 (soundboard), Seattle 3/17 & 21/75 (soundboards)... Another interesting bit is The Song Remains The Same 2 DVD set that is noted to be a Fan Edition. Taking into account the EMS charge...comes out to roughly over $15 a set. Not shabby.

Oh and got a freebie of that Rolling Stones 1 CD of studio outtakes 1970-1974.

Just ordered the two Seattle shows. Can't wait for them to arrive. How do they sound? 

2 hours ago, Miinsane1971 said:

Just ordered the two Seattle shows. Can't wait for them to arrive. How do they sound? 

Both sound excellent. The 21st has audience fills where there were cuts in the soundboard only releases notably the introduction. Likely a clone of The Treachery Of The Long Knives. 

Great way to get both without spending too much...

Enjoy and cheers.

12 hours ago, Miinsane1971 said:

I really hope they'll start focusing on some of the better sounding shows from the '77 tour. I love the '75 tour but I am also loving the '77 tour. 

They only got the 6-21-77 ("Listen To This, Eddie"), 6-23-77 (For Badgeholders Only") and 7-17-77 ("Silver Shadow") shows!

2 hours ago, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

They only got the 6-21-77 ("Listen To This, Eddie"), 6-23-77 (For Badgeholders Only") and 7-17-77 ("Silver Shadow") shows!

Yep, and I already have all three of those. I'd love to see them release the Houston show or some of the Landover shows. 

My copies of Kutabare Moonchild and Tokyo Rock Carnival arrived today. Kutabare is a disappointment. Mainly because they decided to fold down the stereo signal from Whole Lotta Love medley to mono, which IMO sucks out the life of that recording. Why ???? 😡

I still would have preferred a nicely executed matrix, employing both the latest Wendy 'multi track dub' and the newly unearthed SB portion on EV. So Moonchild's third effort on 929 gets -again!- a big thumbs down. Not recommended.👎

The Rock Carnival  Budokan 2CD is better (not 'definitive' however....Too patchy). The only truly excellent sounding Budokan source I heard is the short fragmented 50 minutes  tape issued by Watchtower many years ago. And thankfully it's here.Like Kutabare I would have made preferred some other patches, but on the whole it's  OK (especially at the set price)

I've picked up about twenty of their titles and haven't been disappointed yet. If I had any complaint, it would be about the use of the 3cd jewel cases that they use. Hate that they put a hole in the back cover and I don't know where I would buy replacement cases. 

I also only buy discs that I know are soundboard, so I haven't been let down by the audio yet. 

5 hours ago, duckman said:

My copies of Kutabare Moonchild and Tokyo Rock Carnival arrived today. Kutabare is a disappointment. Mainly because they decided to fold down the stereo signal from Whole Lotta Love medley to mono, which IMO sucks out the life of that recording. Why ???? 😡

That was done by Winston himself. Here are his notes:

So why Mad Dogs Bootleg version of Whole Lotta Love? IMO the first 26 mins are the best part of the show and sadly the worst audio of the "Stage Source". I considered reducing the "Sizzle" on Arigatou Version, but was talked out of it, I considered using Wendy's version, which suffers from way overdone noise reduction, and was talked out of it. Then I considered patching the Mad Dogs mono version, which is clean sounding but Plant is really buried in spots. The Mad Dogs Idea got thumbs up from everybody. Until EVSD releases WLL in SBD, this track will always be one of tradeoffs.

I personally would have preferred that he just used the version from either his old remaster or Eddie Edwards' remaster, but he did such an excellent job on the rest of the tracks, so I can't complain.

Recollecting the Baker's Dozen philosophy of Underground Uprising, anyone care to join me in compiling an 'Introduction to Live Zep' ? Cherry picking the very best from the Moonchild roster and clearly aimed at the young/inexperienced silver collector (short on 'dough')

Unfortunately there's a giant blind spot as far as the the early years go. For instance they haven't re-released essential 69 shows (except for Denmark) and the two 1970 shows (RAH and BBHill) aren't exactly crowning achievements either😈 

So we have to stick to 1971-1980. With the exception of Beeb 71, titles that have been released officially like How the West was redone and The Song Remains the Same are excluded. 

I bought a couple of dozens, so I can't speak of their complete output. Here's a chronological list of my fave cheapo's

1. BBC 1971. The 96 Japan rebroadcast that inspired Jimmy to re-mix the BBC Paris Cinema show with a less extreme stereo separation. 
  2. Going To California 14 sept 1971 Probably a straight copy of Godfather's version, but exemplary remastering nevertheless
  3. Rock Carnival Tokyo Budokan 23 sept 1971 Includes the frustratingly short but powerful Watchtower source covering the first 50 minutes.
  4. Burst on Fire, Southampton 1973  An average show but the superb fidelity multi track and the intimate setting makes this a no brainer
  5. Goodnight Vienna 1973 mixing a near excellent mono AUD tape and the 60' SB recording seamlessly, one of the very best from Europe 73
  6. That's Allright New York 1975.  A Matrix of the excellent AUD source and the Soundboard Revolution (a copy of the Godfather's version)? A much loved collectors favorite.
  7. Rocky Mountain Hop. More than just a warm up for the legendary Seattle show. Great performance
  8. Hammer of the Gods vol.1&2. Very long, perfect quality...rightfully one of the three best 75 shows!
  9. For Badgeholders Only. After the soundboard revolution, the newbie collector might forget there are stunning aud recordings, this is one of them
  10. Dazzling Daze vol.2  Probably the best 'latter day' show...slightly thin sounding AUD, but very well balanced

curious to see your selection, fellow Zepheads

-

Edited by duckman

9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Is this one different from the Winston?

Nope. Actually it IS the Winston Remaster (you can read it in the right upper corner and on the spine).

At least they don't pretend anything!

0BD2BBE6-40B9-444C-B227-DE67330E450D.png

Edited by Moby_Dick_Ale

34 minutes ago, Miinsane1971 said:

I have yet to get a Moonchild title that I've been disappointed in. 

in my book, all 929s, Voodoo in the Gardens-Stoke 73, BB Hill, Seattle Supersonic 73, Burn Like a Candle, ...should be handled with caution.

9 hours ago, Miinsane1971 said:

I thought "Voodoo In The Garden" was pretty good. The others, I've avoided. 

have you compared it with the real Winston remaster on the WWW? I found Moonchild's really dull sounding.

Edited by duckman

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

Which shows?

Landover 2/10/75

Ft. Worth 3/3/75

Houston 3/4/75

Dallas 3/5/75

Vancouver 3/20/75

Okay, it's five shows. I know that Empress Valley has released all of these but for someone on a budget, they're not really affordable.