Is Jimmy Page done making music?

• 5 weeks later...

Next beside the coming 68' live Bird's extended/enhanced release, does anyone( including Page and former Yardbirds members etc.) have substantial high quality audio of Page and Beck playing leads together at length ? I know a few tracks

exist, but these shows when Beck was synced up with Page(sometimes a total mess) are supposed to be truly legendary.

At the same time, I find a lot of Yardbirds stuff unremarkable and way overrated. A springboard for three legends, but

not even 1/100 of Zep.

3 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

At the same time, I find a lot of Yardbirds stuff unremarkable and way overrated. A springboard for three legends, but

not even 1/100 of Zep.

Agree. More famous for having three of the best guitarists of that generation at one time or another, rather than the music itself.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

Agree. More famous for having three of the best guitarists of that generation at one time or another, rather than the music itself.

Agreed. I think the Ronnie Lane Appeal for Arms concerts in early 1980s with Clapton, Beck & Page were better representations of the three them individually on stage and some backing each other up on a few numbers (than with the yardbirds), even if Page was not at his best then. I wish the three of them would do a couple of reunion concerts (for hurricane relief /charity). 

R😎

3 hours ago, reids said:

Agreed. I think the Ronnie Lane Appeal for Arms concerts in early 1980s with Clapton, Beck & Page were better representations of the three them individually on stage and some backing each other up on a few numbers (than with the yardbirds), even if Page was not at his best then. I wish the three of them would do a couple of reunion concerts (for hurricane relief /charity). 

R😎

That would be a nice gesture by them.

Dunno if Clapton's asked Page, but I've often thought that the Crossroads festival would be a good back "in" for him.

He could play a few 12 bar blues in a semi-relaxed setting. Would be a good live confidence booster.

The fact that he hasn't, reinforces the perception that he's done. 

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Dunno if Clapton's asked Page, but I've often thought that the Crossroads festival would be a good back "in" for him.

He could play a few 12 bar blues in a semi-relaxed setting. Would be a good live confidence booster.

Clapton played Madison Square Garden, NYC last night. It'd be nice to see Page and Jeff Beck with him for a few shows. Hope he's not done. 

R😎 

7 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

This. I bet Clapton would do it as well. It'd be way of getting back to his blues roots and no one would be yelling "play Stairway" or any similar nonsense.

Well...let's face it, Jimmy has been done MAKING music for nigh on 20 years now, apart from that Lucifer Rising soundtrack. Re-releasing back catalogues, doing the interview circuit and making the odd guest appearance with other bands is more his thing these days. Can't blame him at this stage of the game either.

Well my last shot at this , when Jimmy was a few years after the 07' reunion, maybe he actually started to feel better

that he didn't have to prove himself anymore. Jimmy is very insecure and a bundle of nerves at times, and the stress

of making a great album, touring and being expected  to play great 100% of the time, ultimately may have turned him off.

Remember in interviews before and after the ARMS shows, Jimmy wasn't sure if the public really wanted him back.

When Jimmy got practically 5 minute standing ovations before he played even a note at the ARMS shows, this sent

his confidence in playing music back on track. But then is not now, although Page would drop whatever he is doing to

reform or tour as Zep. I expect nothing more from him, but it still puzzles me that Jimmy of all people just like that

seems to have quit. So all his passion for music, seemingly pushed aside so easily?

On 6/18/2017 at 7:18 PM, The Rover said:

I still say Jimmy will never "star" again in any musical capacity. He'll have other guitarists onstage, and maybe he'll play a few rhythm parts. Which some, obviously, would be ecstatic about. 'Cause, you know, it's Jimmy Page !!

Jimmy and Zeppelin management really dropped the ball by not filming and releasing some of the better concerts on EACH tour. If they didn't know they were making magic onstage each night, then I don't know what to tell them. Legacy... Record Sales and Awards ??? Really... Can't fix broken. 

I just expected more from the World's Greatest Band.

I expect nothing musically from Jimmy Page. I can't afford the drugs it would take to experience Nirvana with each post Zeppelin JP release.

Jimmy and Zeppelin management dropped the ball is about the stupidest statement i've ever read.

3 hours ago, Box of Jimmy's said:

Jimmy and Zeppelin management dropped the ball is about the stupidest statement i've ever read.

With the benefit of hindsight it can be argued they should have been more aggressive about documenting their performances on film. However, they made what they felt were the right decisions at the time and no amount of bickering will make any difference now.

so what would they have done with a visual recording of each tour as suggested. how would they have released them exactly?

back in the 70s it was a very different world to the music world today where people have access to DVDs, watching film on phones and tablets, streaming and, youtube etc. all that kind of thing wasn't happening in the 70s, even videos only became popular in the very late 70s early 80s

2 hours ago, jsj said:

so what would they have done with a visual recording of each tour as suggested. how would they have released them exactly?

back in the 70s it was a very different world to the music world today where people have access to DVDs, watching film on phones and tablets, streaming and, youtube etc. all that kind of thing wasn't happening in the 70s, even videos only became popular in the very late 70s early 80s

Great point! Take the Rolling Stones for example. They were quite prolific when it came to documenting their live shows but didn't really start doing it consistently until 1981's Tattoo You tour. We got one pro shot from the '78 Some Girls tour, a few from '75/76 that look like n sound like shit, one from '72 Ladies & Gentleman The Rolling Stones, one from 71' @ the Marquee Club,  and three from '69, Hyde Park, Ya Ya's and Altamont. I'm sure Im leaving a few out here as they did record their live shows much more than most other bands that I'm aware of, but the progression is obvious and technology had everything to do with it. 

Technology and the cost of shooting properly in 16mm with multiple cameras was certainly a factor. Back then, pre-video, management would have only seen a cinematic release as a way of recouping the outlay of the film.

But by 1980, Floyd couldn't even get the technology right and their concert film of the Wall is notoriously dark.

I think Zep could have selectively done some TV shows, like the Old Grey Whistle Test and the Beat Club, which did feature longer performances and more out-there bands. Captain Beefheart springs to mind.

I also remember buying a compilation of Free performances on TV and some had brilliant sound and did capture the raw energy of a live performance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2017 at 7:05 AM, jsj said:

Well, they would archive it, and then figure out what to do with it later. If you don't archive, then there is --no-- figuring out later what to do. Look, I was fortunate to get to see Zeppelin 8 times in 7 years, so I'm wishing this could have happened more for anyone that didn't get a chance to see them live. But, I'm also selfish, in that when you've experienced such a good thing live, you'd like to see more that reminds you of it. And believe me, the 1975 Earl's Court video screen camera close ups for over 2 hours is **not** what I'd hope for, but, instead, full stage shots, you know, kind of like what I saw when I went to see them. THAT'S WHAT I'M ENCOURAGED TO REMEMBER over the tiresome TSRTS endless close ups...

When I see all of the "extra" video recording that other top tier bands did, like The Who, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and ELP did, then I think I have a right to think that Zeppelin management was just too conservative in this area.

I have often wondered IF, there were plans to film the band for some of the shows that were cancelled in 1975 and 1977....

I think this maybe was mentioned earlier, but many fans who saw Zep live have often mentioned that some of the boot

shows which were looked upon as shaky performances if only the audio was heard, were as a total experience very good

or excellent. TSRTS is kind of proof of this, as some of the music matched with the visuals is quite effective, but a good

portion of the music video kind of eludes the real Zep magic. I agree that more shows etc. should have been filmed,

but remember Peter Grant would be totally anal about the retention and storage and even the trustworthiness of the 

filmer. Also, didn't Grant himself say early on that Zep live simply didn't translate well to tv or even film ? IMO the whole

concert videos of Zep don't really capture the essence of the band(unofficial), like Seattle 77'. Actually Jimmy plays

decently enough, but he was sick on that date, so his stage presence is restrained. Well the video is spotty, but if there

were a whole show like 3/25/75 filmed( Page is spectacular with his physical antics on TSRTS) that's magic. A shame,

the whole situation , but then again that's created some of Zep's huge mystique.

I think the Albert Hall show captures the band very well. So well in fact that the whole Bath thing was a complete mystery as to why the same filmaker bollocks it up. Grant always maintained that TV was not the best outlook for the band - I agree. Personally the snippet from Dazed & Confused in Iceland is really great which does lead to question why there isn't any more of it?

Yeah, RAH is a home run, all the way thru. But that is the conundrum....D&C from TSRTS, even patched together, is a bit

more typical of many live Zep songs. Out of nowhere the band surges, and just as quicly the energy dissipates. Earlier on,

the band was always full of adrenaline, almost punk energy, and sometimes there was subtlety, sometimes not. A lot of

the footage from the HTWWW DVD shows this. The Iceland snippet is truly magical and mysterious, very unique atmosphere. Well, again there is the question of does Jimmy have much more, but because of his guitar mistakes or

whatever, it's just not coming out ?

Archived