Is Jimmy Page done making music?

34 minutes ago, Darth Hoek said:

Remember how great George Harrison's album Brainwashed was?  With this in mind, I hope we don't have to finally hear Jimmy's last 10 or so unfinished songs under the same circumstances!...and Jimmy doesn't have Dahni and Jeffy Lynne to finish them up like George did!   Sorry to be so dark, but thinking again about how Jimmy is totally waiting for that zep train that will never come. 

And Stephen Tyler says there are no hits in the bunch of original material... this was him trying to publicly downplay what he knew he f'd up at the not-zep rehearsal I am sure just to save his giant ego.  I remember reading that he was not able to remember lyrics to any zep tunes and generally sucked at singing zep during this try-out or whatever it was.  Aerosmith should have hung it up after 1977; pandora's box pretty much sums up everything worthwhile they ever did...songs like Pink; yeah Stephen Tyler knows what a good song sounds like...and I haven't even mentioned his disgusting foray into country music!   However Brad Whitford is the man in my book and one of the unsung heroes...

Yeah Brad is great, not really a great songwriter though if you know what I mean? Awesome player, just doesn't seem to come up with too many great songs though outside of a few here or there; or maybe they're just not used on albums because they weren't "hits." The problem with Aerosmith is that they started letting in outside writers thus they stopped really writing their own material a long time ago. They're always appeasing others opposed to themselves (at least the 4 of them outside of Steven). They started letting in outside writers at behest of their record company in order to build their brand by getting hits after becoming a bit of an afterthought after Joe and Brad left the band. Once the hits came Steven Tyler essentially became the popular kid in school and just couldn't let go of that feeling.

Steven essentially supplemented is drug addiction with hit singles and attention addiction. It seems that he loves the attention from making music just as much or more than he actually loves making music these days. This is why he has that whole mentality of "I don't see any hit songs here, maybe we should bring in some other writers." That and Steven Tyler is seemingly so subconsciously insecure that he needs everything perfect by industry standards; meaning everything must be overly compressed and thus over produced. It sucks all of the dynamics and sound out of the natural tone of the guitars and drums. Joe and Brad have both come up with some really good riffs over the past thirty years but it's always buried under a bunch of over-production when they should be minimally produced like they were in the 70's.

One more thing to add; The best thing Aerosmith could do (or any folk, rock or metal band) is to just stay away from pro tools. Just my opinion though. I think computerizing sucks a noticeable amount of the energy and rawness out of the music. The more you mess with certain tools during production, the more you diminish the way the music actually sounds when you're in the room. Less is more if you're using computer processed recording, in my opinion.

Nemophilist- I think we are saying the same thing.  You need to be hungry to write and record music— either financially or creatively. I’m convinced he has some OCD and mild Tourette’s traits— I am an MD and have noticed this in his interviews. Many people with these traits are extremely successful but can be paralyzed by perfectionism

19 minutes ago, Urozep said:

Nemophilist- I think we are saying the same thing.  You need to be hungry to write and record music— either financially or creatively. I’m convinced he has some OCD and mild Tourette’s traits— I am an MD and have noticed this in his interviews. Many people with these traits are extremely successful but can be paralyzed by perfectionism

Yeah I think we are too for the most part. I hope you don't think I was trying to be argumentative. I was just adding a slightly different perspective.

19 hours ago, nemophilist said:

One more thing to add; The best thing Aerosmith could do (or any folk, rock or metal band) is to just stay away from pro tools. Just my opinion though. I think computerizing sucks a noticeable amount of the energy and rawness out of the music. The more you mess with certain tools during production, the more you diminish the way the music actually sounds when you're in the room. Less is more if you're using computer processed recording, in my opinion.

Any musician worth their salt when it comes to rock will know you only get that pure sound for instruments on analogue.

10 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Any musician worth their salt when it comes to rock will know you only get that pure sound for instruments on analogue.

I agree. The difference is huge. I have an old Tascam multi-track recorder that I use from time to time and the way it captures my tone is perfect. Sounds just like it does when I'm in the room. On the other hand due to convenience for transferring things on to cd and internet I also use Audacity (and have also used Cubase) and it's unbelievable how much of the dynamics are sucked out of my tone.

All computerization sucks the spirit and essence out of everything, but especially in music. I just don't understand how these musicians with so many resources at their disposal just go into some "state of the art" recording studio when it's only considered that because it has a lot of the latest tech. Modern doesn't mean improved but it is a false perception many hold. These days modern seems to mean sterile and soulless.

Maybe Jimmy's Muses have left...

Muse:

(in Greek and Roman mythology) each of nine goddesses, the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne, who preside over the arts and sciences.

2.a person or personified force who is the source of inspiration for a creative artist.

THE SEX AND DRUGS as muses are probably not there today for Jimmy as they were in the 60's and 70's...

All things must pass.

But there's nothing stopping Jimmy from re-visiting the electric & acoustic music he as already made with Led Zeppelin. That's all I'd be interested in.

On 10/15/2017 at 11:10 AM, The Rover said:

I watched the 1992 RRHOF Jam on "All Along The Watchtower" the other night.

Page was there because The Yardbirds had been inducted that night.

Neil Young handled the lead vocals, and, at one point, Jimmy was given the slot to take the lead. It was okay. But I did not come away, "Wow! Jimmy really nailed it!!! He showed them some awesomeness!!"

There's a real mercurial aspect to Jimmy's performing post Zeppelin.

Either he's got it, or, he doesn't. As great as Jimmy was in the 70's, the times when he really has had it post Zeppelin are rare, especially for big live events. Why?? I don't know or care.

Jimmy gave me more than I could ever hope for in the 70's, and that, is good enough.

As great as EVH is now, he's performing with a dude that can't won't sing right, so that's a sum clusterfuck.

Jimmy's missteps and non-dazziling performances since Led Zeppelin, under the "Biggest lights" and on the "Biggest stages" have beenmany. Jimmy proved all he needed to, to cement his legacy, as the sole and lead guitarist of Led Zeppelin.  All of the permutations, and, with other guitarists on stage, have been non-great to me, with my bar for Jimmy set with his studio and live work with Led Zeppelin. Beyond LZ... "There's nothing to see here... move along please..."

Archived