New Mystery Soundboard?

RockDude4492

I've always loved Kezar. Bought it first back in the 80's on vinyl. "Persistence" was the title.  Great show and enjoyable recording, as you mentioned.  Bonzo's Bday show is one of my favs from 73 also, which makes it even more of a shame that 6/3's tape is so fucked up.  That show is great, when it can be heard properly.  So yeah, plenty of good aud recordings - especially on the west coast. 

On 31/03/2017 at 11:40 AM, porgie66 said:

Yes, but some boards are just not as enjoyable to my ears than the audience tapes. Bonzo's Birthday comes to mind. New Orleans 73, Baton Rouge 75. All really excellent sources , rivaling Millard's fidelity IMO. 

I'll have to check these out. I've got the sbd for Baton Rouge. Kashmir is epic. Will have to check it out on the audience tape 

I know you folks are capable of of viewing the public section of Royal-Orleans.com, but thought it would be nice to have this here. Order of '75 soundboard releases. Anyone care to fill in '77 soundboard release order?

2/12/75 2002
3/4/75 2003 (1990's on vinyl)
3/14/75 2004
2/16/75 2004
3/19/75 2006 (I was a Zeppelin junkie by this point :lol:)
3/5/75 2007
2/14/75 2008
3/11/75 2009
2/28/75 2009
3/17/75 2011 (one I'd recommend skipping, straining your ears to hear Jimmy is a deal breaker for me, but its a very solid gig, might make some fun jam tracks)
3/20/75 2012
2/13/75 2013
3/3/75 2015
2/10/75 2016
3/21/75 2017

7 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

I know you folks are capable of of viewing the public section of Royal-Orleans.com, but thought it would be nice to have this here. Order of '75 soundboard releases. Anyone care to fill in '77 soundboard release order?

2/12/75 2002
3/4/75 2003 (1990's on vinyl)
3/14/75 2004
2/16/75 2004
3/19/75 2006 (I was a Zeppelin junkie by this point :lol:)
3/5/75 2007
2/14/75 2008
3/11/75 2009
2/28/75 2009
3/17/75 2011 (one I'd recommend skipping, straining your ears to hear Jimmy is a deal breaker for me, but its a very solid gig, might make some fun jam tracks)
3/20/75 2012
2/13/75 2013
3/3/75 2015
2/10/75 2016
3/21/75 2017

I think the Baton Rouge show (2-28) was released in 2010, not 2009.

Yeah, I'll never forget hearing 2/12 Flying Circus and 2/16 St. Louis Blues for the first time. My damn jaw hit the ground and stayed there for about a week. Those slow No Quarters, the sound quality sounding as good if not better than the original TSRTS (almost). Even my non-Zeppelin fanatic friends that I jammed with after school were like "holy shit, Jimmy Jonesy and Bonzo are locked in!!" My buddy said he valued the CD copies of those two shows as much as Band of Gypsys. And for him to say that, meant something. :blink::DB)

And yes, THE golden standard of rock is right. :)

^ Kind of incomplete, wouldn't you say?  I had May 24, 1975 back in the late 80's on vinyl and also March 4th Dallas show on cassette in the late 80's.  Plus where is 5/25/75 on their list?  I thought R-O was the "adult table" for zeppelin fans?

32 minutes ago, Walter said:

^ Kind of incomplete, wouldn't you say?  I had May 24, 1975 back in the late 80's on vinyl and also March 5th Dallas show on cassette in the late 80's.  Plus where is 5/25/75 on their list?  I thought R-O was the "adult table" for zeppelin fans?

That list is referring to Empress Valley's "Soundboard Revolution", which is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year (hence why they're releasing 3/21/75, a highly regarded show in Zeppelin circles).

31 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

Actually, I'm mistaken. It appears the list is discounting the Earls Court shows and the Dallas show. So it's not technically about EVSD specifically. Link: http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45364

Thank you.  I changed my earlier post as it was the 4th of March show from Dallas.  The one with the extremely heavy bass.  I used to play the OTHAFA on my radio show back in '89.  Epic.  I like that Robert is pissy.  Kinda like 73 Dallas when he's bitching about the crowd not understanding JPJ's fractured ribs, err the clap. ?

17 hours ago, Walter said:

^ Kind of incomplete, wouldn't you say?  I had May 24, 1975 back in the late 80's on vinyl and also March 4th Dallas show on cassette in the late 80's.  Plus where is 5/25/75 on their list?  I thought R-O was the "adult table" for zeppelin fans?

I believe that list is for all the soundboards that are from audio sources (reels and cassettes) and not sources from video soundtracks and from a completely different source.   Plus that list was probably done for fun not for some serious historical bible so does it really matter if one or two went overlooked?

Have a great day

6 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I believe that list is for all the soundboards that are from audio sources (reels and cassettes) and not sources from video soundtracks and from a completely different source.   Plus that list was probably done for fun not for some serious historical bible so does it really matter if one or two went overlooked?

Have a great day

No it goes deeper than that, if you're paying attention, and when someone posts something from another site with the details provided, it seems that having an accurate record of the facts would be in order and not have glaring omissions.  

Thank you for your snarky remark though.  

and FWIW it was low gen Empress Valley releases, you know, the ones that sound better than the original TSRTS soundtrack/album. Posted for those who want to know some live Zeppelin performances with near multitrack quality, nbd.

The 1975 soundboard collection grows to the point that you can almost make the perfect show by taking the best songs from each night. Now thats some fun. B)

1 hour ago, Dirty Work said:

and FWIW it was low gen Empress Valley releases, you know, the ones that sound better than the original TSRTS soundtrack/album. Posted for those who want to know some live Zeppelin performances with near multitrack quality, nbd.

The 1975 soundboard collection grows to the point that you can almost make the perfect show by taking the best songs from each night. Now thats some fun. B)

I wouldn't say any 75 board tape sounds better than the soundtrack LP of TSRTS. They usually have balance issues or are overloaded , either highs or lows. None have the clarity and balance of a multi-track , to my ears. I'd be interested to hear, which shows in particular you think sound better than the soundtrack?Also, IMO no performance of any song found on the soundtrack was bested in 75.

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

I wouldn't say any 75 board tape sounds better than the soundtrack LP of TSRTS. They usually have balance issues or are overloaded , either highs or lows. None have the clarity and balance of a multi-track , to my ears. I'd be interested to hear, which shows in particular you think sound better than the soundtrack? Also, IMO no performance of any song found on the soundtrack was bested in 75.

From being in the audience, I much prefer the Dallas '75 performance of D&C to the Dallas '73 version.

The cuts from night to night in the old TSRTS are kinda jarring. The SIBLY from the original film comes to mind. Audio is kinda choppy. If they were in original album form, as complete shows, I'd agree, but all we have is chopping back and forth from night to night.

Sound quality... 3/20 and 2/28 come to mind, along with the bertha 2/16. They're damn close to multitrack quality, but HTWWW blows them out of the water.

18 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I'd be interested to hear, which shows in particular you think sound better than the soundtrack?Also, IMO no performance of any song found on the soundtrack was bested in 75.

I don't know if it sounds "better" necessarily, but Godfather's "That Alright New York" (2/12/75) is definitely close in quality to the soundtrack. IIRC, they took the soundboard and remixed it in a professional recording studio. It sounds incredible for a bootleg and could easily pass for an official release. Bluecongo's "Four Blocks in the Snow" matrix of this show sounds fantastic as well.

As to your 2nd point, it's all personal opinion of course, but what about No Quarter? I'm guessing you prefer the shorter, more concise versions as opposed to the longer jams?

5 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I don't know if it sounds "better" necessarily, but Godfather's "That Alright New York" (2/12/75) is definitely close in quality to the soundtrack. IIRC, they took the soundboard and remixed it in a professional recording studio. It sounds incredible for a bootleg and could easily pass for an official release. Bluecongo's "Four Blocks in the Snow" matrix of this show sounds fantastic as well.

As to your 2nd point, it's all personal opinion of course, but what about No Quarter? I'm guessing you prefer the shorter, more concise versions as opposed to the longer jams?

Yes, 2/12 is a damn good tape and I thing Flying Circus and Godfathers release are as good as it gets for '75 boards. The Bertha remaster of St Louis is great. 3/19/75 is a well balanced board tape too. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 73 tour show in the quality of a 75 board tape but that's probably a futile wish. 

No Quarter from 7/28/73 which is basically the version completely found on the soundtrack is my favorite ever, and yes... I do prefer the shorter, 73 versions. First of all, I don't care for the use of the cheesy electric "grand piano", I way prefer Jonesys use of the Rhodes for the solo. That's why I prefer the early 75 tour versions to the later west coast ones. I also think the '75 and especially '77 versions became too meandering and self indulgent. I especially dislike the foray into boogie woogie...totally incongruous to the mood of the song. Page sounded less coherent on his solo as the years went on, playing choppy fragmented phrases and peaking then ebbing, then peaking again. Many of the 75 versions sound disjointed and don't have an arc to them like the '73 versions do. 77 is even worse. That solo from the soundtrack though is a masterpiece of mood, feel, soulful expression and phrasing. I can't put any No Quarter from later tours in that league, though the Copenhagen warm up gigs were excellent versions. Just my subjective opinion though. 

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Yes, 2/12 is a damn good tape and I thing Flying Circus and Godfathers release are as good as it gets for '75 boards. The Bertha remaster of St Louis is great. 3/19/75 is a well balanced board tape too. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 73 tour show in the quality of a 75 board tape but that's probably a futile wish. 

No Quarter from 7/28/73 which is basically the version completely found on the soundtrack is my favorite ever, and yes... I do prefer the shorter, 73 versions. First of all, I don't care for the use of the cheesy electric "grand piano", I way prefer Jonesys use of the Rhodes for the solo. That's why I prefer the early 75 tour versions to the later west coast ones. I also think the '75 and especially '77 versions became too meandering and self indulgent. I especially dislike the foray into boogie woogie...totally incongruous to the mood of the song. Page sounded less coherent on his solo as the years went on, playing choppy fragmented phrases and peaking then ebbing, then peaking again. Many of the 75 versions sound disjointed and don't have an arc to them like the '73 versions do. 77 is even worse. That solo from the soundtrack though is a masterpiece of mood, feel, soulful expression and phrasing. I can't put any No Quarter from later tours in that league, though the Copenhagen warm up gigs were excellent versions. Just my subjective opinion though. 

I agree that the version on TSRTS is unbeatable (if edited with parts of the other nights in there). I do enjoy a lot of the 75 versions even though I do agree that the Rhodes sounds better than the piano. NQ on 3/21/75 is one hell of a jam and so is 5/18/75, a show which tends to get overlooked.

9 hours ago, blooze said:

I agree that the version on TSRTS is unbeatable (if edited with parts of the other nights in there). I do enjoy a lot of the 75 versions even though I do agree that the Rhodes sounds better than the piano. NQ on 3/21/75 is one hell of a jam and so is 5/18/75, a show which tends to get overlooked.

I agree with you. 5/18 is my favorite 75 era No Quarter, and favorite EC show. That NQ has the heavy menacing quality of the earlier 73 versions and Page isn't fragmented in his phrases like many 75 versions. 

12 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I agree with you. 5/18 is my favorite 75 era No Quarter, and favorite EC show. That NQ has the heavy menacing quality of the earlier 73 versions and Page isn't fragmented in his phrases like many 75 versions. 

From what I heard that show is great and totally underrated. 

Archived