Updated Soundboard Wish List

Bonzo_fan

2 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying.  I was not aware that none of the '73 boards are part of the "soundboard revolution".

Crying shame. Frankly I'm good with all the multitude of 75 boards for a while. Does anyone know definitely if the 73 boards were all from Sean the bootlegger? How they came to be distributed? We're they taken from Page or copied ? Wondering what the origins of those tapes are and if there are hoarded tapes out there, endings of shows etc. ??

17 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Crying shame. Frankly I'm good with all the multitude of 75 boards for a while. Does anyone know definitely if the 73 boards were all from Sean the bootlegger? How they came to be distributed? We're they taken from Page or copied ? Wondering what the origins of those tapes are and if there are hoarded tapes out there, endings of shows etc. ??

Yeah, and is New Orleans the only complete U.S. '73 board?

8 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying.  I was not aware that none of the '73 boards are part of the "soundboard revolution".

Sure, np.  Almost all of the '73 boards are fragments (either first 2/3 or last 1/3), and the complete ones (2nd NY, 1st Chi, NO) predate the "revolution".  Not sure if they're from a single source or not, but pretty sure they're not from the '75 and '77 source.

2 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

7/28 and 7/29 are both basically complete with slight cuts here and there but no songs missing except for Stairway on 7/29. Chicago 7/6 is also pretty much complete. San Diego is almost complete save for most of Dazed.

7/29 only has part (10 min or so) of Dazed, no?  Isn't Moby Dick also missing?

3 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

7/28 and 7/29 are both basically complete with slight cuts here and there but no songs missing except for Stairway on 7/29. Chicago 7/6 is also pretty much complete. San Diego is almost complete save for most of Dazed.

Oops, forgot about Chicago and San Diego. Chicago 7/6 is a rough show , marred by a rowdy volatile crowd and Plants sick voice. 

23 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Oops, forgot about Chicago and San Diego. Chicago 7/6 is a rough show , marred by a rowdy volatile crowd and Plants sick voice. 

7-6 has some really good playing from Page and Bonham, however.  7-6 is interesting because it seems clear from the sound that there are two different sources:  the first half is kind of flat-sounding, almost like NO or Dallas, while the second half is very clear and sharp-sounding. 

3 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

7-6 has some really good playing from Page and Bonham, however.  7-6 is interesting because it seems clear from the sound that there are two different sources:  the first half is kind of flat-sounding, almost like NO or Dallas, while the second half is very clear and sharp-sounding. 

Yes, true . I don't think there are two sources though. I have Second City Showdown and it sounds to me like the board levels amd EQ changed throughout the course of the show. There were some PA issues , so maybe that's why it sounds different as the show went on. That might be a good candidate for a matrix since both audience and board tapes are near complete. I did a very amateurish matrix of New Orleans and I think it sounds really quite good compared to the flat board tape. You can hear some overlapping but the vibe is better overall. 

• 1 month later...

I just want a complete soundboard for the Orlando 71 show (Orlando Magic). My favorite Zep boot but the patches sound pretty bad and Whole Lotta Love cuts off during the medley, and probably my favorite live version of the song.

The Bath Festival 1970 would be great too, with Immigrant Song being performed for the first time and that wild rock medley at the end.

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2017 at 2:10 PM, porgie66 said:

Im only responsible for Mobile, Chicago (from Rain Song to the end of the show), Buffalo and Fort Worth '73. They were separate from the other '73 boards and held by another person. I circulated them in the old trading circles soon upon receiving them for mass consumption.

3 hours ago, sean_the_bootlegger said:

Im only responsible for Mobile, Chicago (from Rain Song to the end of the show), Buffalo and Fort Worth '73. They were separate from the other '73 boards and held by another person. I circulated them in the old trading circles soon upon receiving them for mass consumption.

Fascinating.

What year(s) would this have been?

11 hours ago, sean_the_bootlegger said:

Thanks for the clarification, and thanks for all you've shared!

• 5 months later...

My number one concert at the top of my wish list is Vancouver 1971 opening night of the 71 north American tour. Plants voice was so great the next night in l.a  so was probably even better in Vancouver. Probably a montruex 71 level vocal performance. They always seemed to  step up their game in Vancouver. The 1970 concert was great and the 2 1975 shows were imo 2 of the best 5 shows of 1975 and 2 of the better post 73 shows. Someone spiking Robert with acid messed up the concert in 1973. But there is about 0 chance I will get to hear that show.

Something from the 1971 back to the club's tour would be amazing. That was the last full tour where plants voice was at its peak. Belfast is an insane vocal performance. The 2 1972 Seattle shows and the 2 Nassau shows from the same year are at the top of my list. Milwaukee August 31 1970 is another one of my favorites. One of plants greatest performances . His range at that show is mind blowing. The handful of German shows in the summer of 1970 following bath are some other of my dream shows. Really any show from bath to msg in 1970 in an quality would be a dream. For me that period is plants prime. It's the only period where plants voice is consistently amazing every single show. His range is unbelievable during that time. He hits every scream and high note and his voice almost never cracks. Soaring clean and powerful upper range.

• 1 month later...

Assuming we soon get the full boards (or multitracks) for both Osaka '71 shows, my Top 5 is now as follows, without repeating any years:

1.  9/19/70 New York (Evening Show) -- this show speaks for itself

2.  6/19/72 Seattle -- almost put this #1 because the tape we have for it sounds much worse than 9/19/70, but since we do have How The West Was Won from a week later, this comes in at #2, since there is literally no officially released live stuff from later in 1970.

3.  7/21/73 Providence -- best show of '73 IMO, and edges the two below it because the audience tape has so many cuts

4.  6/22/77 Los Angeles -- best show of '77 IMO, and could take its rightful place as 6/21's equal with a SBD release

5.  3/12/75 Long Beach -- #5 simply because we already have basically every other great '75 show in SBD or Millard quality

Just missed the cut (in chronological order):

- 6/28/70 Bath Festival

- Any full show from Japan '71 or Europe '73, or earlier of course

- 6/3/73 Los Angeles

- 5/18/75 London

- 4/28/77 Cleveland

- 4/30/77 Pontiac

- 6/13/77 New York

- 6/26/77 Los Angeles

Most Desired Unreleased Shows:

1.  5/4/71 Odense or 5/10/71 Liverpool -- maybe they played "Gallows Pole" and/or "Four Sticks" again?  A newspaper article on the Timeline says that they did play Gallows in Liverpool.  Maybe Plant sang as well as he did on the 3rd in Copenhagen

2.  9/1/70 Seattle

3.  8/19/71 Vancouver

4.  5/31/77 Greensboro -- Bonzo's Birthday, Round II...Bonham giving it a little something extra in a year where he was already playing 'over the top' regularly must've been a real treat!  And reports on the Timeline indicate that "Black Dog" was played as a second encore, a rarity for '77...

5.  2/27/75 Houston -- curious to hear the first "No Quarter" with the grand piano

6.  5/19/77 Baton Rouge -- should be even better than the night before in Birmingham!

Edited by Bonzo_fan