2017 NFL Thread

Walter

13 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ The Bills, eh, must have slipped my mind. Beating Denver, another surprise. I don't know if I had the Colts today, but nothing seems too shocking, except maybe Houston giving the Patriots hell....

They have them by 2 and NE on their own 7.  I hope Houston sticks it to them.  We have Denver on the ropes.  Up by 10 with 3 minutes and about to kick off to them

41 minutes ago, zepscoda said:

Season is over, they need to Fire Ben McAdoo , fire Jerry Reese, trade Odell for help on the line and replace Eli.

Giants are done, this season is pathetic. 

Says the guys who's team is now up 21-14... ;) 

Oopps! Now tied at 21

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, another crazy NFL Sunday. I don't know how much blood will spill, but the Pack are getting hammered by the Bengals. Unnghh...

:unsure:

I need GB to win or my Eliminator contests are toast.  :unsure: Still time though. But they look like crap.  I did not know about all of these damn injuries.  Huge win for Buffalo!  Our reward?  A trip to Atlanta.  The most daunting task in football trying to win in that building.  But no matter what happens down there, the Bills have to be happy where they sit at this point.  Smith, the corner who is s rookie has been remarkable.  Gaines picked one off.  4-5 guys in this secondary that are new have been lights out.  I mean knocking balls away just before they hit the receiver.  Thus, cannot flag us.  Good luck with Gilmore NE.  NE sucked out again.  Houston defender had the ball in his hands.  If he holds on Houston wins.  New Englands luck will run out when they play better teams.  Their days are  numbered.  And after the debacle in NY, I no longer fear the Fish.  On to Atlanta. Julio Jones.  Matt Ryan.  Yikes. 

2 hours ago, zepscoda said:

61 yard FG.... WTF...  Eagles / Giants games give stress levels new heights!

Yeah I was thinking about you on that one. Great comeback, horrible loss. That shit made it in by an inch or so.  I hate philly more than you guys and the skins.

3 hours ago, Walter said:

Detroit just got screwd so badly! Sorry BM!

I'm having a hard time accepting the logic behind the new 10 second run-off rule.  We didn't receive a penalty....there was no injury.....the play was called a touchdown, and we had no input on the review.  The referees chose to stop the clock and review.  Why should there be a run-off that would penalize anybody ?  Is it because we didn't have a timeout left ?  That really doesn't make total logic either. Just seems like a very ant-climactic way to end what was a great NFL game.  Didn't like the play-calling during that sequence either.  Stafford should have rolled out at least once to see if he could find a lane to score if no one was open.  Strange week in the NFL, that's for sure.  I'll be lucky to break .500 in the pool.      

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I'm having a hard time accepting the logic behind the new 10 second run-off rule.  We didn't receive a penalty....there was no injury.....the play was called a touchdown, and we had no input on the review.  The referees chose to stop the clock and review.  Why should there be a run-off that would penalize anybody ?  Is it because we didn't have a timeout left ?  That really doesn't make total logic either. Just seems like a very ant-climactic way to end what was a great NFL game.  Didn't like the play-calling during that sequence either.  Stafford should have rolled out at least once to see if he could find a lane to score if no one was open.  Strange week in the NFL, that's for sure.  I'll be lucky to break .500 in the pool.      

I was shocked too.  I saw the Lions had scored and it was 32-30 and then I go to ESPN or something and then see the score taken down.  So I knew a review or something was going on.  Tough loss but the Lions are one good team.  And my Bills might be also.  But our reward for beating Denver is a trip to the NFL equivalent of hell.  At Atlanta. One tall order winning there.  But no matter the outcome, to me its the toughest game on the schedule all season.  We might surprise them.  Or not. Matt Ryan and Julio Jones are tough to stop at home. This kid White is some kind of a rookie corner.  And the rest of the revamped secondary also.  WE have a defense, a great running back in McCoy, and Matthews the former Eagle who really helped out today  The Bills are going to surprise some people and already you can see what a difference having a real coach instead of a two man side show on the sideline.  Sorry Rex but stick to TV.  Trump needs to keep his tweets out of football.  He got more attention than he deserved. Go Bills!!!!  And Go Lions too.  And Go Rams.  NE sucks.  If that Houston safety had some hands they would have lost that game. The Raiders are getting some medicine right now.  That Washington team is tough to gauge.  Its not easy coming 3000 miles East.

NFL BOYCOTT in full effect NOW. A total withdrawal of all commercial and social relations with this league. No NFL tv packages, no ticket purchases, no merchandise and so forth. Additionally, I call upon sponsors to sever their ties. Ideally, this will culminate with a change to NFL policy to bar the owners, coaches and players from further politicizing the American national anthem on the field OR the lowest rated Super Bowl in history.

^^

Are those your political thoughts on the NFL thread Steve ?.....or  just branching out your non-credited 'cut & paste' activities to other subject matter ?

Kickers don't get much praise, but how about Prater ?  14 for 14 from 50 + yards is an amazing stat !  Most kickers can't even perform that steady on extra points.  He drills the ball on a line, which is why he doesn't kick off....no hang time.

Lions' Eric Ebron is the most over-rated tight end in the league.  Whatever you do, don't hit him in the hands !  I hope our GM is smart enough not to open the vaults for that guy.

Week 3 and I'm sick of the Packers already.  I never had a doubt they were going to come back and win that game.  

Fuck off Steve A. Jones. Take your political grandstanding somewhere else. We don't want it on the football thread. It was Putin's bitch Trump who politicized the whole thing and threw more gasoline on the dumpster fire with his stupid tweets and red-meat to his base speech in Alabama. As usual, you are wrong and totally clueless. Good luck with your boycott, snowflake.

With the changes in the way coaches use the preseason, the first few weeks of the regular season now act as a sort of de facto preseason. By week 4, teams should be settled in and we can start getting a handle on teams.

So what have we learned so far?

1. The Raiders weren't ready for primetime. I knew the Raiders were not going undefeated and last night had all the earmarks of a "trap game". Still, I was surprised by how poorly they played. Whatever the reason, they flat-out got embarrassed last night. It should have been a shutout. Raider fans can put those Super Bowl expectations on hold.

2. The Patriots are beatable. The only problem is that you have to be on your A-game for 60 minutes to do it. Just one lapse of concentration, focus, effort, and you will be doomed. Houston showed last year in the playoffs and again yesterday that they have the type of scheme that allows them to compete and give the Patriots all they can handle. They just can't do it for the entire game. Which is most team's problem.

3. The refs who worked the Seattle at Tennessee game should never be allowed to work a game again in the NFL. It was unwatchable.

4. The old adage "On any given Sunday..." has never been more apt. Teams don't have consistency anymore. Their performance levels are wildly all over the place...up, down and all around.

5. I don't care about the anthem hoo-hah. Heck, back in golden days of the 1970s and 1980s, you never even saw the anthem on tv. It wasn't until the Gulf War that tv started showing the anthem as part of the broadcast. The bigger problem is the insipid and demeaning TD celebrations. I'm looking at you Odious Beckham, Jr. Truly one of the most embarrassing sights I have ever seen in a football game. They need to knock that shit off. You're supposed to be a professional...act like one. See Marcus Allen, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Emmitt Smith if you are unclear on the concept of being "professional".

6. Is there some bizarre law or curse that forbids teams with winning records playing in London? All the London matchups are between losing teams. Does the NFL hate England that much?

7. Speaking of curses, how many different ways are the refs going to find to screw the Detroit Lions out of a win. I swear I have never seen a team lose so many games in the weirdest possible fashion at the last second.

8. Does Tony Romo really want to stay retired? At least half the NFL could use him at quarterback. There just aren't that many good quarterbacks.

5 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

The only NFL team that matters.....thanks to Jerry Jones! 

Common ground! :thumbsup: 

Btw, they mattered before Jones and will after. If that's a veiled attempt to thank Jerrah for the Cowboys not to kneel...not quite accurate and pretty shallow.  Otherwise Go Cowboys! ⭐️

11 hours ago, Strider said:

Fuck off Steve A. Jones. Take your political grandstanding somewhere else. We don't want it on the football thread. It was Putin's bitch Trump who politicized the whole thing and threw more gasoline on the dumpster fire with his stupid tweets and red-meat to his base speech in Alabama. As usual, you are wrong and totally clueless. Good luck with your boycott, snowflake.

You can fuck off. I'm not the one disrespecting the flag on the field, as has been going on for quite some time now. The PRESIDENT merely called them out for their bullshit. I predict the lowest television ratings for a season and a Super Bowl in league history. Bet! 

35 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

You can fuck off. I'm not the one disrespecting the flag on the field, as has been going on for quite some time now. The PRESIDENT merely called them out for their bullshit. I predict the lowest television ratings for a season and a Super Bowl in league history. Bet! 

C'mon Steve, really, what is the big deal? I served in combat, and I did so to ensure people can do exactly what these players are doing. It's called standing up for ones First Amendment rights. Don't you understand that by denying these players, or anyone else for that matter, the freedom to express themselves by kneeling during the anthem you are essentially proving to them and everyone else that America does not support the Bill of Rights.

I am not going to get into a political discussion for obvious reasons but I think you are a smart guy Steve, you know better. This is exactly what makes America a great country. Not so much in what we have done, but for what we are supposed to represent. Freedom.

The fact is, the only way to disrespect the flag is to REQUIRE people to respect it and the national anthem. Respect must be earned and if certain people believe that they are not being respected, so be it. That is what makes America great.

Archived