2017 NFL Thread

Walter

Three weeks into the season & it's still tough for me to say how good or bad anyone really is. Is Jay Cutler really that awful? The Packers had to rally at home against the Bungles--just a lot of crazy shit, as usual.

Maybe the Thursday game might be telling--if Green Bay has to struggle against Da Bears, then nothing is impossible...

:wacko:

6 minutes ago, Strider said:

I have to admit, I really thought Atlanta would suffer a Super Bowl hangover. Especially given recent history...and especially the way they lost the Super Bowl.

But, much like the San Antonio Spurs after they choked against Miami, they seem to have used the loss as fuel for this season.

I do not look forward to the trip their for my Bills but I suppose its a litmus test for them?  There is no shame in losing down there to that team.  They are to me, the best team in football right now.  I know some believe KC is, but its still early.  Atlanta answered the bell again vs Green Bay who gets all the love from the media.  Well they lost some of mine last week.  Scared the life out of me as  I had them on my Eliminator contests and survived by the skin of my teeth.  The Falcons did escape two wins on defense in the waning seconds, might be ripe for a let down?  Maybe take the Bills lightly?  Our young secondary has been incredible so far and especially this kid White.  Hughes and Alexander have been a terror to opposing QB's.  They must pressure Ryan.  And covering Julio Jone will be a lesson too. Yikes.  And don't forget Mr Matthews who we got from the Eagles. Another superstar they traded to us like Shady McCoy.  Thanks Philly.  He made his presence felt vs Denver.  Darby is a fine safety but in my opinion we stole him and McCoy.  

It sure is strange not seeing Boomer on ESPN on Sunday morning.  Feel terrible for him losing his wife in that car accident.  

10 hours ago, IpMan said:

Gee, thanks for educating me Steve, and here I thought I was fighting for the freedom of all Americans when in fact it was to ensure that corporations do not have to follow the First Amendment regarding their employees. Of course you are correct that the First Amendment does not mention terms of employment (go figure), then again nor should it. If someone engages in a peaceful protest for a couple of brief minutes during the non-play portion of a game, who cares? What is the big deal? By that logic Trump should have been impeached the first time he tweeted any personal opinion once taking office. After all, he is a paid employee of the US government and I do not appreciate my tax dollars supporting some jackass wanking off on America's time.

So, by your very own logic, not only should the protest players be fired, but so should Donald Trump. Thanks Steve, I can get behind that. Sounds like a more than equitable trade off.

It's not my fault you fought for a US Constitution and Bill of Rights that you apparently don't fully understand. It's not my fault you can't distinguish between uniformed employees under contract to a private employer and a duly elected public official who is a a representative of the American people.

6 hours ago, BlackandGold said:

There is no such rule in the NFL rule book.  (There is guidance in the operations manual -but not a rule, so no contractual violation.)  

Yes, it's in the Game Operations Manual--essentially a "rule book" for everything that occurs on game day aside from the game. 

5 hours ago, Strider said:

This, while Puerto Rico is devastated by a hurricane. American citizens are in distress and Trump is endlessly tweeting about the NFL. He also had 4 tweets about McCain.

The majority of Americans care far more about football than Puerto Rico. I'm right and you know I'm right. Anyway, enjoy the games.

10 hours ago, IpMan said:

If someone engages in a peaceful protest for a couple of brief minutes during the non-play portion of a game, who cares? What is the big deal?

As a U.S. taxpayer I care and I find it offensive. Yes, it is a big deal to many hard working Americans who see their money go to subsidizing this industry.

NFL gets billions in subsidies from U.S. taxpayers

39 minutes ago, cryingbluerain said:

As a U.S. taxpayer I care and I find it offensive. Yes, it is a big deal to many hard working Americans who see their money go to subsidizing this industry.

NFL gets billions in subsidies from U.S. taxpayers

Yeah, well I take offense to my and other Americans money going to the bloated defense budget and corporate welfare payouts.

Also, if anyone is stupid enough to vote to fund these stadiums with government money, for a privately owned business (sweet deal there...more corporate welfare), fuck them, they are too damn stupid and deserve all the shit they get.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

It's not my fault you fought for a US Constitution and Bill of Rights that you apparently don't fully understand. It's not my fault you can't distinguish between uniformed employees under contract to a private employer and a duly elected public official who is a a representative of the American people.

Yes, it's in the Game Operations Manual--essentially a "rule book" for everything that occurs on game day aside from the game. 

The majority of Americans care far more about football than Puerto Rico. I'm right and you know I'm right. Anyway, enjoy the games.

Actually I seem to understand it better than you, that is, unless you can point out the section of the 1st Amendment which excludes private business. Oh wait...its not there. The fact is the Supreme Court made those rulings in the past and can reverse them in the future since the amendment is worded excluding businesses.

However you are correct that as a private business (with assets purchased with government money..Hmm, Uncle Sugar sure is sweet to us billionaires) they have the right to terminate their employees based on the terms of their contracts. However, you think those owners are gonna fire a player over this, especially the outstanding players who are taking a knee? The is America Steve, you of all people should know, money talks and patriotism only goes as far as the next payday. No one is going to get fired and the NFL will lose maybe a handful of fans which means nothing. If 10% of the public is offended enough to stop watching and paying for merchandise, you think the owners are going to side with them, or the 90% that say, "oh, those dirty bastards, taking a knee, sonofabitch!!!! He Mike, did ya see the arm on Brady this year...holy shit I can't wait for Sunday!!!"

37 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Yeah, well I take offense to my and other Americans money going to the bloated defense budget and corporate welfare payouts.

That's way beyond the scope of this thread which is about the NFL.

Also, if anyone is stupid enough to vote to fund these stadiums with government money, for a privately owned business (sweet deal there...more corporate welfare), fuck them, they are too damn stupid and deserve all the shit they get.

That's part of my point, this current situation is just pissing people off and I expect the taxpayer money to eventually dry up.

On 9/25/2017 at 10:30 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

New England sucked out that win.  The Houston defender had the game in his hands and blew it.  New England so far do not look like themselves

Yeah but somehow they almost always pull it off. Tom Brady went 15 for 18 in the second half for 216 yards after getting the living shit beat out of him. That last drive was incredible.  They play for 60 minutes and they're conditioned. That's why they beat The Falcons in the Superbowl last year. The Falcons were on fire and burned themselves out by midway through the 3rd qtr.   NE took heat for running up the score back in 07... They play for 60 minutes. 

I like to see the Lions doing good. 

8 hours ago, IpMan said:

Actually I seem to understand it better than you, that is, unless you can point out the section of the 1st Amendment which excludes private business. Oh wait...its not there. The fact is the Supreme Court made those rulings in the past and can reverse them in the future since the amendment is worded excluding businesses.

However you are correct that as a private business (with assets purchased with government money..Hmm, Uncle Sugar sure is sweet to us billionaires) they have the right to terminate their employees based on the terms of their contracts. However, you think those owners are gonna fire a player over this, especially the outstanding players who are taking a knee? The is America Steve, you of all people should know, money talks and patriotism only goes as far as the next payday. No one is going to get fired and the NFL will lose maybe a handful of fans which means nothing. If 10% of the public is offended enough to stop watching and paying for merchandise, you think the owners are going to side with them, or the 90% that say, "oh, those dirty bastards, taking a knee, sonofabitch!!!! He Mike, did ya see the arm on Brady this year...holy shit I can't wait for Sunday!!!"

The First Amendment applies to what people do on their own time and with their own dime. Period. If I'm wrong, then by your logic airline pilots, for example, can delay departures to make brief political statements over the intercom and their employer (the airline) would have no recourse.

The NFL's television ratings are down nearly 10% from last year, and last year's were down nearly 10% from the year prior to that. So ratings are down nearly 20% from what they were prior to the Kaepernick protests. A 20% drop is very significant, and it's going to drop even further, believe me. Plans are also underway for a nationwide boycott of all Veteran's Day weekend games in November. That said, this is going to get ugly. We're going to see this play out in the parking lots and in the stands. Bet.

That said, this is going to get ugly. We're going to see this play out in the parking lots and in the stands. Bet.

Obviously it's been a while since you've actually seen a game in person, if ever.  I seriously doubt someone is going to pay or give up $40 bucks to park and another $160 bucks for a ticket they bought in advance merely to protest.  Some fans in attendance may be motivated to boo during the moment, but that happens 40 times a game in Detroit.  A fan would relish the opportunity to boo that action as much as they stand and cheer for Servicemen, who are announced, brought on the field in uniform, and cheered at every game I attend.  The reality is this issue isn't any more important or controversial than Janet Jackson showing us her tit during half-time.  Someone of your ilk may turn off the game, but the odds are, like the NBA, you haven't watched in years for the same reason this particular issue seems so dear to your heart.  Brush your sensitive shoulders Stevie....because on this issue they're full of flakes.

Last week in Detroit, a fan took a picture of an African-American family in the stands who chose to sit during the National Anthem.  He took their pic and put it on Facebook after the game with a predictable racial rant. Owner Martha Ford responded by banning that individual from Ford Field.  I doubt that's the owner response you or our President were looking for.    

6 hours ago, the chase said:

Yeah but somehow they almost always pull it off. Tom Brady went 15 for 18 in the second half for 216 yards after getting the living shit beat out of him. That last drive was incredible.  They play for 60 minutes and they're conditioned. That's why they beat The Falcons in the Superbowl last year. The Falcons were on fire and burned themselves out by midway through the 3rd qtr.   NE took heat for running up the score back in 07... They play for 60 minutes. 

I like to see the Lions doing good. 

The Falcons choked.  Period.  If they get back there they will not choke again.  They will either win or lose to a talented team but they learned a lesson.  We get them next week.  I dread it.  The Baltimore Colts choked in 1968 and I remember it like it was yesterday.  They were easily the better team.  And the rematch the next year they proved it by beating the daylights out of them just like the Vikings did to KC.  My own Bills choked in Pasadena.  But not in Tampa.  Out coached and still had the game on Norwood's foot, and as we all know, wide right.  Two words I will take to my grave regardless of whether another Bills team wins or not.

7 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The Falcons choked.  Period.  If they get back there they will not choke again.  They will either win or lose to a talented team but they learned a lesson.  We get them next week.  I dread it.  The Baltimore Colts choked in 1968 and I remember it like it was yesterday.  They were easily the better team.  And the rematch the next year they proved it by beating the daylights out of them just like the Vikings did to KC.  My own Bills choked in Pasadena.  But not in Tampa.  Out coached and still had the game on Norwood's foot, and as we all know, wide right.  Two words I will take to my grave regardless of whether another Bills team wins or not.

Ok .. Why did they choke?  

1 New England wore them down, Atlanta  were huffing and puffing the last 1/4 and a half. 

2 Atlanta psyched themselves out, New England got in their heads. Look at their faces when they lost the overtime coin toss...

3 Atlanta thought they had the game wrapped up.. 60 minutes... not a minute less.  

Nobody manages the clock better than Brady / Bellichick 

16 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Obviously it's been a while since you've actually seen a game in person, if ever.  

Last week in Detroit, a fan took a picture of an African-American family in the stands who chose to sit during the National Anthem.  He took their pic and put it on Facebook after the game with a predictable racial rant. Owner Martha Ford responded by banning that individual from Ford Field.  I doubt that's the owner response you or our President were looking for.    

I've attended a few, but only a couple since moving away from the US more than 25 years ago.

I'm aware of the Facebook meme that fan posted. It's interesting he posted it on his own time and on his own dime yet the so called powers that be swiftly and certainly levied negative consequences. Meanwhile, that old dingbat locks arms with her players on the sidelines to disrespect the whole nation. That's the thing about people who hold liberal worldviews--there's little to no consistency. 

23 hours ago, the chase said:

Ok .. Why did they choke?  

1 New England wore them down, Atlanta  were huffing and puffing the last 1/4 and a half. 

2 Atlanta psyched themselves out, New England got in their heads. Look at their faces when they lost the overtime coin toss...

3 Atlanta thought they had the game wrapped up.. 60 minutes... not a minute less.  

Nobody manages the clock better than Brady / Bellichick 

Well now we have to see if Father time has caught up with them

Bradford out for the Vikings.  MLB Davis may play for Detroit.  Everson Griffin, DE for the Vikings, called OT Greg Robinson of the Lions lazy....which can't be denied.  But still not a smart thing to do before a game.  Taking the Lions, but I'm very leery.  Talking top 5 in week 3 is a recipe for Lion disaster.   Still don't like the league's explanation of the 10 second run-off.  No game should end that way.

During the National Anthem at Ford Field, they played a video of 5 jets flying over on the video screen during the Nat'l anthem.....it was only until they brought the crew on to the field during halftime that I realized it wasn't a film.  They actually do fly-overs for a domed stadium.  Now that's a waste.    

5 hours ago, Strider said:

The Chicago Bears and Green Bay Packers have met on the gridiron more than any other two teams in NFL history. 194 total games.

Their win-loss record stands at 94-94-6.

Tonight, the tie will be broken.

3 hours ago, Walter said:

^ maybe... ;) 

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Sounds like you have some faith in Chicago?

...or he's just pointing out that the game could end in a tie. :)

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Sounds like you have some faith in Chicago?

I have faith in the wackiness of football - especially in a rivalry game like this.

That stat is crazy, btw. Plus you said GB hasn't lead the series since 1933? That's great info!

Archived