LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

For what it's worth...the following was on the Led Zeppelin Newsfeed and Ramble On Radio podcast:

http://ledzepnews.com/2017/03/18/jimmy-pages-active-discussions-may-led-zeppelins-50th-anniversary/

Jimmy Page’s ‘active discussions’ may be about Led Zeppelin's 50th anniversary

The “active discussions” that Jimmy Page is currently involved in may be about activity surrounding Led Zeppelin’s fiftieth anniversary, Led Zeppelin podcast Ramble On Radio said in its latest episode.

Last week we reported that Page has been in “active discussions” to perform as part of the Desert Trip festival in 2018. However, Ramble On Radio host Brian Gardiner said in his podcast that the “Oldchella” rumour is a euphemism, and instead the rumour is about possible future Led Zeppelin activity planned for 2018.

The original rumour from last week came from a respected Led Zeppelin fan who does seem to have inside knowledge of the band’s activity.

What’s not clear right now is what the rumoured discussions are about. They could be about a one-off show, a series of shows, or even the release of new material. The only thing we know for sure is that it’s still early days.

Edited by Strider

53 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Not to say I told you so, but I anticipated something for the half-century - most likely new old stuff.

You told us so?! Of course SOMETHING will be done to coincide with the 50th Anniversary, it's just a question of what exactly.

47 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

You told us so?! Of course SOMETHING will be done to coincide with the 50th Anniversary, it's just a question of what exactly.

Steve, you kept saying that Zep didn't celebrate anniversaries and you didn't anticipate anything! 

Anyway, we shall see what they come up with.

The 1st time i saw Led Zeppelin was 44 years ago in Albuquerque , New Mexico  , damn how time flies.  The "said" anniversary date would be when ?  I'd be down for 50 year Led Zeppelin Anniversary  Day.  October 1968 - New Yardbirds / Lead Balloon  year would be 50 years .

a respected Led Zeppelin fan who does seem to have inside knowledge of the band’s activity.

My imagination, or does this sound like a description of Dave Lewis?

I doubt there'll be any music in 2018 but .... a cinema released documentary telling the story of the band for a new audience that didn't get to see them live (even the o2 show)? That'd be fun. It'd help erase memories of the fantasy bits in Song Remains the Same anyway.

2 hours ago, 76229 said:

a respected Led Zeppelin fan who does seem to have inside knowledge of the band’s activity.

My imagination, or does this sound like a description of Dave Lewis?

Good shout. 

Maybe he's been asked to do liner notes for full Earls Court and Knebworth DVDs, chronological live album, and LA 77 run in soundboard.

We can only dream...

16 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Steve, you kept saying that Zep didn't celebrate anniversaries and you didn't anticipate anything! 

Anyway, we shall see what they come up with.

I kept saying? As I recall I've only said they generally don't, aside from that 20th Anniversary release of Stairway to Heaven as a single, and that I didn't. I'm sure the music press will use it as cover stories, for which they may do a round of interviews, and some official merchandise will follow, but I personally don't expect anything beyond that.  

6 hours ago, Wally Hood said:

The 1st time i saw Led Zeppelin was 44 years ago in Albuquerque , New Mexico  , damn how time flies.  The "said" anniversary date would be when ?  I'd be down for 50 year Led Zeppelin Anniversary  Day.  October 1968 - New Yardbirds / Lead Balloon  year would be 50 years .

People still quibble over the exact date and location of their first rehearsal, but for what it's worth this site has it as August 12, 1968. If you go with the date of their first gig, you get September 7, 1968 (despite being billed as The New Yardbirds). The 50th Anniversary dates for the release of their first album are January 12, 1969 in the USA and March 31, 1969 in the UK.  

I just listened to the podcast and he seems to be alluding that the discussions are around a live performance, rather than an archive release or merchandise.

I don't anticipate and don't want a live performance.

They went out on a high at the 02, leave it there.

The only way is down for me. They'll be 11 years older come next year.

One final, monumental live archive release would be good.

And please, no Cirque du Soleil, Las Vegas style-show, like the Beatles did.

Zep aint Bette Midler.

54 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Maybe it will be the original albums remastered and housed in a deluxe 50th Anniversary special box costing £500. Oh with linear notes by Dave Lewis. Kerching !!!

LOL. Don't forget they will be "personally" stamped by Page for a super deluxe version for an extra $6,000.

23 hours ago, 76229 said:

That'd be fun. It'd help erase memories of the fantasy bits in Song Remains the Same anyway.

Oh boy...now you've done it. You'll get the ire up of the people who love the fantasy bits in 'The Song Remains the Same' movie.

Obviously one last one off show would be spectacular but I honestly don't imagine Plant would be swayed. (maybe time to give Coverdale a call? haha)

An official Led Zeppelin documentary is WAY overdue as there has actually NEVER been one at all! If such a thing were possible, it would be nice to have a Beatles Anthology type thing as opposed to squashing it into two hours...

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:35 PM, bluecongo said:

A nice simple 30 minute acoustic set one off performance would be so EASY  for them to pull off to commemorate 50th anniversary.  No reason not to except egos & lawyers 

Or because one or more of them don't want to.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:30 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Maybe it will be the original albums remastered and housed in a deluxe 50th Anniversary special box costing £500. Oh with linear notes by Dave Lewis. Kerching !!!

They could house the collection in a  one of those obelisk's from the Presence cover, or perhaps a  blimp.