LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

2 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

The fact that Southampton is a multitrack makes it a candidate. What we've heard is a rough mix only. I've been listening to it recently with the mind set that given the proper attention, it could sonically sound amazing! I've never really enjoyed this show but I have no doubt that it could be drastically improved and deserves to be as well. 

Not disputing it might eventually get released, but 7 months of Page orchestrated media build-up for another '73 show ?  Anything's possible, but I doubt it.   A  friendly reminder that every unofficial live or outtake studio Zep material you've ever owned or heard from a boot was a rough mix only.  Some people are forming opinions of what's available to Jimmy based on what we've already heard, what's already in our boot collections, or what multi-tracks were given to Kevin Shirley to work with for a previous video project.   I don't know a thing....I just think there's more. 

I'm still not ruling out a show or something this year folks. I know you think I am on crack but as I said. They were in studio with instruments between Xmas and New Years and Plants interview today...( and they change day to day as they have since 1970) is hopeful. Lol

To me, a different view from previous live concerts released means either a smaller, intimate venue or a different time period.

Taking into account Plant's comments about it relating to before it all got big, it points towards the 68 Scandinavian tour.

But really who knows. It's all Inspector Morse at this stage and we're fumbling around with pints of bitter trying to work out who dunnit.

If there are 2, 3 or more live releases that will eventually drop, and Jimmy relents and decides Soundboard releases can be polished to a level worthy of release, I hope - more than almost anything else - a representation of the LA Forum '77 run is released (assuming Jimmy has original SB tapes for all nights). Suitable frankensteined by Page, all the Forum nights crafted into the one monster release using SB mixed with Millard with leading edge technology that gives us the best of that run in a quality that we can hardly believe.

If so, would that not be THE greatest ever live rock album from any/all artists?

And Jimmy, if you read this, FFS, leave some Plantations in!

23 minutes ago, Kevinrm15 said:

Yeah... It'll be on the Ellen show !  :run:

And both Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose will be unavailable to do interviews this time.

(They both did interviews around the 2007 O2 and 2012 Kennedy Center Honors.)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/robert-plant-on-led-zeppelins-50th-anniversary-there-will-be-a-celebration-im-sure-somewhere

Yep. Robert said no album or anything like that so anyone saying they went into a recording studio in late December must have their hopes up for not. The only other reason for going into a studio is to hear mixes / re-mastering of Live material.  Can’t wait to hear what’s coming this year.

R😎

In the Planet Rock interview, Jimmy talks about the 'another multi-track' recording as if it's a single gig,
but doesn't say whether they'll release an album from this one show or parts of it on a larger set with stuff from other shows.
Mind you, in a bit of a dampener, Jimmy also implies that he hasn't started work on the tapes yet!
That August anniversary's looking a bit optimistic...    

Edited by Brigante

No more live releases from '68-'73... that era is MORE than well covered in the live canon!  The only exception that would get me excited would be if the mythic Japan '71 multi-tracks were cleaned up, mixed, and released.... those shows are simply too incendiary to ignore!

Other than that... Earl's Court all the way!!!  Or both.

I'd be more excited about a chronological live album if there was at least one multi-track from '77 to work with, and a lot of great material hadn't already been released separately since 2003.

Whatever it is that Jimmy has planned, hopefully it'll be interesting and unexpected...

Edited by The Old Hermit

Regarding the Led Zeppelin book that is going to be released in September or October (or whenever it is).......it is my sincere hope that the book contains more TEXT than photos. There have been a million and a half LZ photo books, including Page's book. What has been untold is the Led Zeppelin story in their own words. All we have been given over the years are mainly unauthorized bios with disgruntled former employees being used as the main source of info. The books are totally lacking in detail about the kinds of things that a Zeppelin maniac would want to know. How was "The Rain Song" written. Was there a concerted effort to make "Presence" an all-electric guitar album, or did it just turn our that way? Any specific reason why "Dancing Days" was put on "Houses Of The Holy" instead of the title track? Any additional info about the "secret" band rehearsals after Live Aid? I mean, there might be answers to these kind of questions, but I think Zep fans are more interested in Led Zep addressing them. The real fans are more interested in how the music was created. The crazy off stage stuff is so tired.

I am also kind of surprised that LZ hasn't put out a "story of" DVD like The Beatles Anthology (with less discs, obviously). Then again, they may feel that this sort of thing might destroy the LZ mystique.

As far as live recordings are concerned, I wish LZ would create a site like live.springsteen.net (http://live.brucespringsteen.net/). On this site fans can pay for a download (in a variety of formats) of current and classic soundboard concerts in their entirety. You can also order a Compact Disc if you wish. If Page has got some sort of really good live release like "How The West Was Won" that's fine and I will buy it, but a site like the Springsteen one allows a big time artist to release soundboard concerts in a more casual manner without having to worry about record companies (and their middle men), huge advertising, constant interviews, etc. Obviously, when it comes to the Compact Discs, a site like this gives you another advantage: you only manufacture them according to customer need. I realize that LZ has a ton of bootleg concert recordings, and many hard core LZ fans assume that everyone owns them. However, a lot of people don't, and a lot of people don't want to download them (along with viruses and malware) from storage sites. They would rather pay for them. It just seems to make more sense for LZ to put up a site like this than to release a bunch of stand alone CD's for record stores. I realize that Page had a lot of stuff stolen from his house in the 80's.....maybe he could track down the best source of what was stolen and use a recording studio to freshen up the recordings to make them better for "official" release.

If LZ were to put out some official CD's for record stores, I wouldn't mind a "best of" CD for the 1980 tour of Europe,  the 1977 tour of the States, the 1975 Earls Court shows, and the 1975 tour of the states. These areas of the band's career need to be addressed first before we see anything from the "Houses Of The Holy" tour or before.

I just saw this on ledzepnews.com. 

http://ledzepnews.com/2018/02/23/jason-bonham-said-changed-name-band-led-zeppelin-plans-use-name-led-zeppelin-experience/

I had no idea Jason changed the name. I went into his website and it still says "Jason Bonham Led Zeppelin Experience", however in the news section, a Dec 4/2017 post has it changed, while a Jan 2/2018 post does not. I don't recall reading about it here on this forum (my apologies if I missed it).

It makes me wonder what will the "Led Zeppelin Experience" be with regards to the 50th Anniversary.

11 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

The books are totally lacking in detail about the kinds of things that a Zeppelin maniac would want to know. How was "The Rain Song" written. Was there a concerted effort to make "Presence" an all-electric guitar album, or did it just turn our that way? Any specific reason why "Dancing Days" was put on "Houses Of The Holy" instead of the title track? Any additional info about the "secret" band rehearsals after Live Aid? I mean, there might be answers to these kind of questions, but I think Zep fans are more interested in Led Zep addressing them. The real fans are more interested in how the music was created. The crazy off stage stuff is so tired.

The Rain Song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rain_Song

Presence: It was recorded quickly and just turned out that way. It was completed the day before Thanksgiving 1975 and was nearly titled Thanksgiving.

Houses of the Holy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houses_of_the_Holy_(song)

Post-Live Aid rehearsals: Ten days of rehearsals in January 1986 near Bath (almost certainly Corsham Studios). Drummer Tony Thompson was injured in a vehicle accident the second night. They carried on with drum machine and drum roadies. Plant commented a few years later he preferred to be in a band where he called the shots, finding he didn't enjoy waiting for Jimmy to mess about with his effects pedals and what not. 

1 hour ago, timothy5151 said:

It was changed to Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening about a month or so ago. All of the promo materials to support the summer tour announcement at that time reflected the name change.

4 hours ago, reids said:

http://ledzepnews.com/2018/02/23/jason-bonham-said-changed-name-band-led-zeppelin-plans-use-name-led-zeppelin-experience/

Maybe the 3 surviving members have pre-recorded live video montage 68-80 with John Bonham in theaters / Internet which they’ll release for the 50th in September. We’ll see.

R😎

Something like The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism would be more likely. Of course, if a certain photographer is brought in and given creative control it ends up as a glorified photo exhibition.

Until someone dies, has a stroke, or becomes incapacitated, there's nothing wrong with wishing for a show of some sort.  They're all musicians...it's what they do.  They did it before when you least expected them to.  B.B King, Les Paul, and Johnny Winter played until they couldn't play anymore....because that's what they do.  Is that going to happen ?  Wouldn't count on it, but I wouldn't rule it out either.    Any type of tour though is surely a pipe-dream.

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Something like The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism would be more likely. Of course, if a certain photographer is brought in and given creative control it ends up as a glorified photo exhibition.

That’d be cool, too!

R😀

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, Boleskinner said:

As long as Jonsey's onions are in a glass cabinet, I'm there!

That's not a double entendre by the way.

Wasn't really into these music exhibitions, but saw one in Melbourne recently on the history of Aussie rock'n'roll and it was really well done.

I attended The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism in Chicago and thought it was fairly well done. IF a decision is made to do something similar in London I think they'd all be keen to support it. Instruments and irreplaceable personal effects could be displayed without the risk and worry of losing them in transit across the Atlantic. There are a few specific items I know they still have that would make for an exceptional Led Zeppelin exhibition. It would not be too difficult to recreate that first rehearsal space with Train Kept A Rollin' piped in over loud speakers, etc.  

On 2/24/2018 at 1:21 AM, SteveAJones said:

The Rain Song: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rain_Song

Presence: It was recorded quickly and just turned out that way. It was completed the day before Thanksgiving 1975 and was nearly titled Thanksgiving.

Houses of the Holy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houses_of_the_Holy_(song)

Post-Live Aid rehearsals: Ten days of rehearsals in January 1986 near Bath (almost certainly Corsham Studios). Drummer Tony Thompson was injured in a vehicle accident the second night. They carried on with drum machine and drum roadies. Plant commented a few years later he preferred to be in a band where he called the shots, finding he didn't enjoy waiting for Jimmy to mess about with his effects pedals and what not. 

It was changed to Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Evening about a month or so ago. All of the promo materials to support the summer tour announcement at that time reflected the name change.

You're completely and totally missing my point. I already know those details. Most serious Zep fans do as well. I don't care what wikipedia says. I don't care what some wikipedia writer picked out of Stephen Davis' book. And frankly, I don't even care what Jimmy Page had to say about Presence back in 1976 or even ten years ago. I want the surviving band members and the surviving band members only to be writing the text from their contemporary perspective in this new book. They have never told it from their perspective and their perspective only. All three guys.  It is really important, as Jimmy implied in his presser, that the guys tell it from their perspective because they've been misrepresented so many times in unauthorized bios and even in interviews. My worry is that this is just going to be another book of photographs with text along the lines of John Paul Jones saying: "Gees, I couldn't believe my hair style back then." This band is too important for that. Remembrances of every song and every album should be covered in detail, etc. Same with key concerts. Again, from their perspective now. Artists often do not have a good take on their work until they have decades of time to look back on it. I don't care what Plant thought about the Led Zep post-Live Aid rehearsals when he was promoting his late 80's "Now And Zen" solo album. Been there, done that. Not that it's a part of the band's history I wish to hear a great deal about.

Edited by ThreeSticks

1 hour ago, ThreeSticks said:

You're completely and totally missing my point. I already know those details. Most serious Zep fans do as well. I don't care what wikipedia says. I don't care what some wikipedia writer picked out of Stephen Davis' book. And frankly, I don't even care what Jimmy Page had to say about Presence back in 1976 or even ten years ago. I want the surviving band members and the surviving band members only to be writing the text from their contemporary perspective in this new book. They have never told it from their perspective and their perspective only. All three guys.  It is really important, as Jimmy implied in his presser, that the guys tell it from their perspective because they've been misrepresented so many times in unauthorized bios and even in interviews. My worry is that this is just going to be another book of photographs with text along the lines of John Paul Jones saying: "Gees, I couldn't believe my hair style back then." This band is too important for that. Remembrances of every song and every album should be covered in detail, etc. Same with key concerts. Again, from their perspective now. Artists often do not have a good take on their work until they have decades of time to look back on it. I don't care what Plant thought about the Led Zep post-Live Aid rehearsals when he was promoting his late 80's "Now And Zen" solo album. Been there, done that. Not that it's a part of the band's history I wish to hear a great deal about.

You're going to be waiting a very long time I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, ThreeSticks said:

So you already know everything, though your original post suggested otherwise. Well, good luck with that tell all book and Springsteen-style download site. I wouldn't hold my breath on either, but I'm sure you knew that too. :rolleyes: