LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

10 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

Yea, WTF is up with that ???  Check this out, I found something odd to add as well

$179.98 for 8 CD Set - March 23 2018    >>  8 CD ??

$124.98 > 4 Vinyl

$24.98 > 1 Blu-Ray Audio.

All this Information Disappears !!!!!

After you click and read the 8 CD Info and then Click on Vinyl and read that information; then Click Blu-Ray, all the Price and Quanity Information Disappears !!

After you click on the Blu-Ray all the CD price changes to $24.98 for 3 CD - March 2018

What's up with the 3 CD vs 8 CD  :blink:

What a waste of money. I will still listen to Genuine Masters release of Burn Like A Candle. 

I am putting on an event to celebrate 50 years of led Zeppelin. This is not an official Led Zeppelin event but a Led Zep fan's own celebration of the greatest band in the world!
5a6854a8734ed_180118_VinylRevivalLandscape_Facebook3.thumb.jpg.ea607658156e3c1a14d23b3f690f8cc7.jpg

Listen to Led Zep I and II on a top of the range Hi-Fi system, in the comfort of a room set up for listening purposes.

All Led Zep fans are welcome. This is a non-profit event and is created to make people aware of a new great record shop and a Hi-Fi company set up by enthusiasts.

Both albums have a link to the area, being Olympic Studios, Barnes down the road from our venue, The Treehouse. Infact Jimmy, Percy, John and John might have had a sneaky quiet pint when it was a pub in the sixties, while they working on the albums.

1 hour ago, TonyCorlett said:

I am putting on an event to celebrate 50 years of led Zeppelin. This is not an official Led Zeppelin event but a Led Zep fan's own celebration of the greatest band in the world!
5a6854a8734ed_180118_VinylRevivalLandscape_Facebook3.thumb.jpg.ea607658156e3c1a14d23b3f690f8cc7.jpg

Listen to Led Zep I and II on a top of the range Hi-Fi system, in the comfort of a room set up for listening purposes.

All Led Zep fans are welcome. This is a non-profit event and is created to make people aware of a new great record shop and a Hi-Fi company set up by enthusiasts.

Both albums have a link to the area, being Olympic Studios, Barnes down the road from our venue, The Treehouse. Infact Jimmy, Percy, John and John might have had a sneaky quiet pint when it was a pub in the sixties, while they working on the albums.

A good idea there man but it would take more, a lot more, than listening to 2 albums for me to go down to the shit hole that is London. In fact even if there was a personal appearance by Page himself I would have to decline. 

This is a huge disappointment. Nobody needs a remastered HTWWW. Only a remixed version would be welcomed (from my side). No Bonus tracks? WTF really. This is only $$$-making at its best.

I fear this was the "Mastering" that John Davis mentioned. The Japan 1971 tapes seem unlikely to be relased. I read about them again in "The Concert File" and Grant said the quality was too bad. Robert said the same about the sound. They only recorded 6 tracks which is a bit few for a good sound quality. Assuming vocals, bass, melotron, guitar each have one track, only two tracks remain for the drums. It is almost impossible to get a good sound with only two drum tracks, at least for Jimmy's liking. I'm sure most fans here would welcome even a not-so-good-sounding release as long as we get something NEW at least.

2 minutes ago, the-ocean87 said:

This is a huge disappointment. Nobody needs a remastered HTWWW. Only a remixed version would be welcomed (from my side). No Bonus tracks? WTF really. This is only $$$-making at its best.

I fear this was the "Mastering" that John Davis mentioned. The Japan 1971 tapes seem unlikely to be relased. I read about them again in "The Concert File" and Grant said the quality was too bad. Robert said the same about the sound. They only recorded 6 tracks which is a bit few for a good sound quality. Assuming vocals, bass, melotron, guitar each have one track, only two tracks remain for the drums. It is almost impossible to get a good sound with only two drum tracks, at least for Jimmy's liking. I'm sure most fans here would welcome even a not-so-good-sounding release as long as we get something NEW at least.

Absolute rubbish.  Have you heard 'The Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl'?  That's a Three track recording.
The Drums on Led Zeppelin II (for example) are ALL on only two tracks.  It's far from impossible to get a good drum sound with only two tracks, in fact some of the best ever recorded drum sounds have used only two tracks.  It all depends on HOW they were recorded.

1 hour ago, woz70 said:

Absolute rubbish.  Have you heard 'The Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl'?  That's a Three track recording.
The Drums on Led Zeppelin II (for example) are ALL on only two tracks.  It's far from impossible to get a good drum sound with only two tracks, in fact some of the best ever recorded drum sounds have used only two tracks.  It all depends on HOW they were recorded.

I forgot the mandoline and acoustic guitar. So I assume all drum mics were mixed together in one recorded track? Say they had 8 drum mics, but on record it is only 1 track? Assuming that is the case, you can't do any post-mixing on the drums and we'd get the drum mix of that evening. Since they said the recordings sound awful I guess there was a problem with this recording.

We don't know what the condition of the tapes is and what the seperate tracks contain.

The 1971 Black Dog from Japan that Steve posted up on here a few days back sounded great (although it was only a YouTube clip).

The gossip I'm reading would suggest we're getting 1968 stuff this year rather than a Japan release however.

Edited by Mook

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

A good idea there man but it would take more, a lot more, than listening to 2 albums for me to go down to the shit hole that is London. In fact even if there was a personal appearance by Page himself I would have to decline. 

Are you sure? I thought you liked London 

2 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

I forgot the mandoline and acoustic guitar. So I assume all drum mics were mixed together in one recorded track? Say they had 8 drum mics, but on record it is only 1 track? Assuming that is the case, you can't do any post-mixing on the drums and we'd get the drum mix of that evening. Since they said the recordings sound awful I guess there was a problem with this recording.

We don't know what the condition of the tapes is and what the seperate tracks contain.

Mic-ing every piece of a drumkit in the studio didn't really start happening until the late '70's.
The early recordings would have had 3/4 mics max - this is why the room that the drums were recorded in was absolutely essential to the sound.  The 3/4 mics would have been mixed in the studio (and processed by a series of compressors/limiters) to get the required sound, and sent to either 1 track (mono) or 2 tracks (possibly stereo, or to give you a little bit of room to play about with balance in mono).
The Drum sound in Levee, for example, relies heavily on one single microphone dangling above a well tuned, brilliantly played drum kit in an obviously fabulous sounding room, and stuck through a great sounding compressor/limiter.
This article gives a brief overview of some of these techniques which were made popular by Glyn Johns and still get used today with great results:
https://www.recordingrevolution.com/the-glyn-johns-drum-recording-method/

As I said before, it's not the number of mics, or tracks, that determine the drum sound.  It's how they're played and recorded - or in the case of Japan, premixed - before they get to tape.
With some of the post-processing available today a great deal can still be done with a less-than-optimal pre-mix - again I point you at the Beatles Hollywood Bowl recordings, which George Martin thought were pretty much unusable back in 1964/5.

If the Japan tapes were recorded too hot and distorted, then very much less can be done with them.

8 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

:hysterical:. You are a wag? Ironically my Parents migrated up north from Shitsville before I was born - how close was that? 

I’m planning on coming back to Liverpool next year to catch up with everyone. We should meet for a beer. Don’t think I’ve told you I used to live in urmston. Will send you a pm 

On 1/24/2018 at 3:35 AM, the-ocean87 said:

They only recorded 6 tracks which is a bit few for a good sound quality. Assuming vocals, bass, melotron, guitar each have one track, only two tracks remain for the drums. It is almost impossible to get a good sound with only two drum tracks, at least for Jimmy's liking. I'm sure most fans here would welcome even a not-so-good-sounding release as long as we get something NEW at least.

Royal Albert Hall was recorded on only six tracks and it sounds pretty good. In fact, the audio to 1970 RAH on the DVD sounds better, more raw and alive, than the audio to "How the West Was Won".

Speaking of 50th Anniversaries, Ian Anderson announced a Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour, which hits the Greek Theatre in L.A. in May.

50 minutes ago, Strider said:

Royal Albert Hall was recorded on only six tracks and it sounds pretty good. In fact, the audio to 1970 RAH on the DVD sounds better, more raw and alive, than the audio to "How the West Was Won".

Speaking of 50th Anniversaries, Ian Anderson announced a Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour, which hits the Greek Theatre in L.A. in May.

Thanks Sean for this.  Not much of a Tull fan but when I was in high school I liked them and got a few of their LPs which I enjoyed at the time.  They don't do much for me now.

Always remember John Paul Jones' comments about the band as I think he found the band and possibly Ian Anderson to be very pretentious.  I think he referred to them as "Jethro Dull" and insinuating a concert of theirs as "Bore 'em at The Forum."  To me it sums it up and JPJ was always spot on for his insight and British sarcasm and humor.

2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Thanks Sean for this.  Not much of a Tull fan but when I was in high school I liked them and got a few of their LPs which I enjoyed at the time.  They don't do much for me now.

Always remember John Paul Jones' comments about the band as I think he found the band and possibly Ian Anderson to be very pretentious.  I think he referred to them as "Jethro Dull" and insinuating a concert of theirs as "Bore 'em at The Forum."  To me it sums it up and JPJ was always spot on for his insight and British sarcasm and humor.

Bore 'em at the Forum indeed was the jest. This was also around the time (1972-73) there was a bit of back-and-forth between the bands about who drew better at the Forum, as they both played the venue within weeks of each other.

On 31/01/2018 at 3:11 AM, SuperDave said:

Ian Anderson was one of those rare people who was there, and actually remembers the 60's. They were one of the rarest of bands who actually shared the same bill as Zeppelin. When asked about any of the wild tales of our heroes  he probably said "never saw any of it as I was in bed with a hot drink by 10"

6 hours ago, rm2551 said:

:zzz: Dave Lewis. You got to admire him? What next for our superfan? Led Zeppelin: "Their clothes they wore through the years" £29 notes as well. No Dave, just no.

What are these high profile events Page is talking about?  Where would these events take
place?  I'm guessing home for them in the UK.   Is there a UK version of  America's Kennedy
Center Honors?  Celebs and people with money hanging out in a venue talking about what
Led Zeppelin brought to the music scene over the past 50 years.  We know they are not playing
together! 

Edited by KellyGirl