LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

Whatever they decide to do for the 50th anniversary, I've decided to re-read through all of the Led Zeppelin issues of Creem magazine. More fun than slogging through Stephen Davis, that's for sure. While Rolling Stone had its head up its ass, Creem knew what was up and gave Led Zeppelin the attention they deserved.

20180410_142149.thumb.jpg.0ea444ab0fa646665e5ad0c1f75d5b9e.jpg

31 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

File under I plan to be playing live next year.

Page has said lots of stuff over the last 17 years that have been complete bunkum.

I am confident we have multiple live official releases in store over the course of a few years. He cares too greatly about Led Zeppelin for it not to be the case. 

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Whatever they decide to do for the 50th anniversary, I've decided to re-read through all of the Led Zeppelin issues of Creem magazine. More fun than slogging through Stephen Davis, that's for sure. While Rolling Stone had its head up its ass, Creem knew what was up and gave Led Zeppelin the attention they deserved.

20180410_142149.thumb.jpg.0ea444ab0fa646665e5ad0c1f75d5b9e.jpg

I had all of those issues and I had my room wall to wall coverage with Zeppelin picks and posters. There wasn't an inch of space to be seen on my walls. too bad, I didn't think to save them instead of using them as wallpaper:(

4 hours ago, paplbojo said:

I am confident we have multiple live official releases in store over the course of a few years. He cares too greatly about Led Zeppelin for it not to be the case. 

Any release has to be approved by jones and plant as well, and plant is picky about his vocals.

Staggering live releases over a decade is selfish and designed to maximise income. They’re not short of cash. Do a dogs bolloks release of all existing multtitracks, and an official bootleg series of all soundboards in a year. But it will never happen.

Edited by Boleskinner

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

Any release has to be approved by jones and plant as well, and plant is picky about his vocals.

Staggering live releases over a decade is selfish and designed to maximise income. They’re not short of cash. Do a dogs bolloks release of all existing multtitracks, and an official bootleg series of all soundboards in a year. But it will never happen.

Probably takes a great deal of time to get them each in releasable shape, and I'm sure at his age he has other ideas of how to spend his time besides reworking everything in a studio. I'm not so bothered by it... He won't leave us hanging for too much longer, I don't think. 

Edit: of course, I certainly wish he'd do what you are suggesting. Would be a great gift to the fans. 

Edited by paplbojo

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 6:25 PM, Strider said:

So great that you saved all those and have them is such good condition.  Did you save Circus magazine too?

5 hours ago, John M said:

So great that you saved all those and have them is such good condition.  Did you save Circus magazine too?

I never got into Circus or Hit Parader magazines the way I did Creem, NME, Crawdaddy. I would usually peruse the latest issue of Circus at the library or 7-11. If I deemed it worthy of purchase, I might fork over some cash. But generally, the writing and layout design was subpar.

I have a couple of Led Zeppelin and Alice Cooper issues of Circus saved that have survived reasonably intact. Oh and that 1973 Robert Plant paperback book they advertised in Circus all the time.

12 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Do we have any sort of indication as to when an announcement will be made on what we can expect to be released for the anniversary? 

Not yet, mate.

Even in this social media age, Zeppelin still manage to keep things very shtoom.

All we have is titbits about a live album in interviews and some speculation.

September is when it's rumoured it will kick off in earnest.

Personally, I think any release will be in the Xmas run-in to maximise profit.

Edited by Boleskinner

3 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Not yet, mate.

Even in this social media age, Zeppelin still manage to keep things very shtoom.

All we have is titbits about a live album in interviews and some speculation.

September is when it's rumoured it will kick off in earnest.

Personally, I think any release will be in the Xmas run-in to maximise profit.

Yep I was thinking Christmas myself. But you would imagine a lead time of 2-3 months before for the announcement....to whet the appetite. So I reckon that will come around September 

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:42 AM, Boleskinner said:

Exactly - Robert seems to think that he used to get a bit excited and overly enthusiastic!
This is why, according to Kevin Shirley, Robert had various 'ad-libs - the baby, baby, babys' removed during the TSRTS remix.
Mind you, Shirley also said that when they got to ‘Does anyone remember laughter?’, Robert 'winced and asked if we could delete it.
I said, ‘No, you can’t erase that, it’s what people remember, part of history!’ So he very reluctantly allowed me to keep it in.'
THAT'S how picky Robert is with his vocals...   

Edited by Brigante

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

This is why, according to Kevin Shirley, Robert had various 'ad-libs - the baby, baby, babys' removed during the TSRTS remix.
Mind you, Shirley also said that when they got to ‘Does anyone remember laughter?’, Robert 'winced and asked if we could delete it.
I said, ‘No, you can’t erase that, it’s what people remember, part of history!’ So he very reluctantly allowed me to keep it in.'
THAT'S how picky Robert is with his vocals...   

One bit they took out for the remastered The Song Remains the Same always puzzled me.  In the original soundtrack, near the end of the title track Plant sings "Here we go !" right after "slidin, slidin, slidin".  It was such a great moment and it worked perfectly.  

6 hours ago, Mook said:

I'd prefer it if they announced it mid Summer & released it in September for the anniversary.

Christmas is a load of bollocks.

I doubt it'll be that late. Plant might already have given the game away. When he said "we didn't get together till September", it felt a bit Freudian to me: i.e. he already knows it'll be that month. Of course it was actually August, but.....

So if the 50th Anniversary doesn't truly begin until September does that mean it will continue into 2019?  In theory the anniversary year would begin in September of 2018 and run until August of 2019.  Maybe that's why announcements are so slow  

On 4/10/2018 at 8:07 PM, paplbojo said:

It would make sense to do this.  He cares about the legacy, keeping the band current somehow, and of course the money

If Page is planning to release something (live material, re-mixes, or whatever) then he will certainly be having talks with people who will help him decide the best date from a marketing standpoint.  They wouldn't want to release it at the same time that some other major artist is 'dropping' an album, as they say.

With that said, it doesn't really matter to Zep's true fans.  They'll get it no matter what.

I just hope that this year doesn't pass and all we've had is some collection of studio outtakes or a greatest hits package.  I really am not interested in remixes and I own all Zep's original releases, official live albums, etc.

Now... live concerts, cleaned up, nicely packaged with liner notes... count me in!