LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

9 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

What are these high profile events Page is talking about?  Where would these events take
place?  I'm guessing home for them in the UK.   Is there a UK version of  America's Kennedy
Center Honors?
 Celebs and people with money hanging out in a venue talking about what
Led Zeppelin brought to the music scene over the past 50 years.  We know they are not playing
together! 

No. Remember though Zeppelin were not as big here than the U.S

^^

Very true!  Well then I have no clue what events could take place.  Page has retired from
playing in public and Robert declines all ideas of working with the other two.  All of that is
fine,  but it does not leave much in the way of big events.  2012 brought them over here to
accept the Kennedy award and also Celebration promoting correct?  

Wait and see eh!  :) 

3 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

^^

Very true!  Well then I have no clue what events could take place.  Page has retired from
playing in public and Robert declines all ideas of working with the other two.  All of that is
fine,  but it does not leave much in the way of big events.  2012 brought them over here to
accept the Kennedy award and also Celebration promoting correct?  

Wait and see eh!  :) 

I agree with what you say here overall, but I would add one caveat. Plant has not necessarily declined all ideas for collaborating with Page and Jones. He just doesn't want to work with them as Led Zeppelin - and if Plant's insinuations are to be believed (and maybe they shouldn't be!), Page and Jones (and I'm guessing mostly Page) want to do it precisely as Led Zeppelin.

I think that's the rub. If there were a possibility of the three of them getting back together, with a cast of other musicians, to play stuff that influenced Zep (blues, rockabilly, folk, some world music, etc.), along with new arrangements of some Zep material, I'm guessing Plant would be on board. But I doubt Page would go for it - and even if he did, it's likely it would end up sounding a bit too much like "Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones."

18 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I fear "Big events" is no more than hyperbole.

I do hope there are a few live releases though.

The BBC may show an interest.

They could turn up on The Jools Dullard show where the Squeeze key tinker could do Boogie Woogie with Jimmy whilst Plant jams with some Yemeni Tribe. Jones of course will be parking the car.

On 3/18/2017 at 7:20 PM, 76229 said:

a respected Led Zeppelin fan who does seem to have inside knowledge of the band’s activity.

My imagination, or does this sound like a description of Dave Lewis?

I doubt there'll be any music in 2018 but .... a cinema released documentary telling the story of the band for a new audience that didn't get to see them live (even the o2 show)? That'd be fun. It'd help erase memories of the fantasy bits in Song Remains the Same anyway.

I know its NOT Dave lewis!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus Christ almighty, while Gene Simmons continues his crazy releases from Kiss Coffin to his now $2,000 Gene Simmons Vault.   The mind has yet to ponder what innovation Jimmy has brewing.

Zeppelin was never really into little knickknacks, hopefully we really see a nice package

Edited by SymphonyX

Typical cryptic Plant reply, but to me it points to the live release being from one of their very early concerts:

Regarding Jimmy Page’s revelation that that he’s readying new, unheard Zeppelin material, Plant said: “There’s a lot of stuff rolling around. It’s a bit like water in the bottom of a paddle boat. . . It should capture the whole impact that we were oblivious to in the beginning where it was like a ground moving, ground shaking thing going on and interestingly we were so close into it that we didn’t even feel the tremors to begin with. And that’s a great thing before bands lock into a public persona or anything like that. So that kick off, 50 years ago, was something great, unexplainable, and so full of power and energy. It was brilliant.”

Full intv:

https://www.wxhc.com/?p=36847

Technically it’s the “new yardbirds” I guess. If it is from the 68 Scandinavian tour then I’ll be kinda disappointed, 

was hoping for some later period stuff, or a chronology, although I guess that was unrealistic.

hopwfully that might follow in due course.

Edited by Boleskinner

3 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Technically it’s the “new yardbirds” I guess. If it is from the 68 Scandinavian tour then I’ll be kinda disappointed, 

was hoping for some later period stuff, or a chronology, although I guess that was unrealistic.

hopwfully that might follow in due course.

Boleskinner are you kidding? That's the only proper tour never knowingly bootlegged! I would be absolutely over the moon if something emerged from either Scandinavia '68 or one of those early UK gigs. As the least documented shows those are like gold dust to me.

40 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Boleskinner are you kidding? That's the only proper tour never knowingly bootlegged! I would be absolutely over the moon if something emerged from either Scandinavia '68 or one of those early UK gigs. As the least documented shows those are like gold dust to me.

Each to their own.

Not doubting its rarity and collectibility, but in terms of songs performed and the evolution of the band, I prefer 73 onwards.

And the fact that we haven’t had any official live audio-only releases post-73, adds to the appeal.

Edited by Boleskinner

On 2/1/2018 at 9:24 PM, KellyGirl said:

What are these high profile events Page is talking about?  Where would these events take
place?  I'm guessing home for them in the UK.   Is there a UK version of  America's Kennedy
Center Honors?  Celebs and people with money hanging out in a venue talking about what
Led Zeppelin brought to the music scene over the past 50 years.  We know they are not playing
together! 

While we are waiting for something more substantive to take shape with respect to a 50th celebration in the UK or elsewhere, at least they're having a great 50th celebration tribute to Led Zeppelin at Carnegie Hall (NYC) on March 7, 2018 featuring 21 artists playing a wide variety of their music.  What's also nice is that it's a benefit with the evening's proceeds funding music education for underprivileged  children - our next generation of musicians!   See the link below:

https://musicof.org/ 

Also, photos of Led Zeppelin's original Carnegie Hall concert in October 1969 (almost 50 years ago) have now been posted on the Forums:

Edited by drowan

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

...but nothing. This is meaningless. He's great on his own merits but he's not a member of Led Zeppelin, nor will he ever be.

Nor in the future will Robert Plant be a member of a performing or recording "Led Zeppelin."

He's done being the "Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin" regarding live performances and recording. And that's Okay. His choice to make. He's not signed a Lifetime "contract" with Led Zeppelin.

There will be no Led Zeppelin Reunion gig(s).

The O2 concert was Robert's Swan Song as a performing and recording member of Led Zeppelin.

And without the unique voice of Robert Plant....There can be no "Led Zeppelin."

All some can now hope for is the best version of a Led Zeppelin show, vis a vis the "Australian Pink Floyd." But still.... no Robert Plant, unless advanced technology can someday allow anyone to appear to sing like the Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin.

3 hours ago, The Rover said:

Nor in the future will Robert Plant be a member of a performing or recording "Led Zeppelin."

He's done being the "Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin" regarding live performances and recording. And that's Okay. His choice to make. He's not signed a Lifetime "contract" with Led Zeppelin.

There will be no Led Zeppelin Reunion gig(s).

The O2 concert was Robert's Swan Song as a performing and recording member of Led Zeppelin.

And without the unique voice of Robert Plant....There can be no "Led Zeppelin."

All some can now hope for is the best version of a Led Zeppelin show, vis a vis the "Australian Pink Floyd." But still.... no Robert Plant, unless advanced technology can someday allow anyone to appear to sing like the Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin.

Exactly. If someone is wanting to hear Led Zeppelin music live, Go see JBLZE (they’re on tour with Foreigner and Whitesnake) or a tribute act like Led zepagain. 

R😎

Edited by reids

Once upon a time before the Zep DVD & HTWWW came out, there was a lot of speculation here (there was no over there yet), about what we were about to get.  Several of the well-known boot collectors voiced their opinion that whatever you do Jimmy, "It better not be Knebworth !"....."It's a lousy performance"...."They can't clean that up"....."Listen to the 11th....what a disaster !"....."I can't even listen to anything post-'73 !"....."Don't waste our time !".  And here we are 15 years later, and I still pop in the DVD just to watch and listen to that lousy performance.  They do too.

And so here we are in February of 2018.......and all 3 members of the band are on board and participating towards 'all manner of surprises' for the 50th anniversary.  Robert Plant is not only on board, he's being coy and playing along with Jimmy about what's going to be released 7 + months from now.  This is the same Robert Plant who basically ho-hummed the last round of studio releases, including the unheard material on the companion discs that were included.  Does this mean anything ?  I think the following....

1. )   This upcoming series of releases has been planned and mapped out for quite some time.  I think the studio/companion releases were taken care of first, and there may have been some discussions or disputes within the band if those releases were really necessary, if the timing was right, or if they took the proper form.

2.)  We are definitely getting something from 1968.  Many people have shared the opinion that the Paris show was included with the Zep 1 release because the related studio material was so limited that a true studio companion disc like the others couldn't be made.....and that could be.  But that also leaves an undocumented live time-line of a year between the start of the band and the Paris show.  Nothing's there you say ?.....I bet there is.  There may even be more studio work of some sort that we're unaware of that was specifically saved for the upcoming round of releases.

3.)  Jimmy's comment about listening to the "D & C" from Southampton was just a means to throw people off-track.  He's much wiser now about what's out there and what we think exists.  There isn't a 7 month build-up occurring to give us another '73 show, regardless if it was multi-tracked.  He stole from it once to correct recording flaws, and he was probably listening to it again for the same reason.  

4.)  The '77 & '80 tours are not off-limits.  Please see paragraph 1.  

5.)  Led Wallet has not changed.  The 50th anniversary may signal a new era of releases for copyright reasons....it may signal a new era of live releases the band knows will only appeal to hard-core fans down the road....but that's not what's initially happening here.  At least one of these live releases will be aimed to appeal to the masses to maximize sales.  Personally, I think a career spanning live box set would be a perfect way to accomplish that.  jmo.

6.)  Jimmy doesn't lie....he tells tales and gives out misleading information for his own convenience.  No video left ?....all used on the DVD ?  Considering the track record, I wouldn't bet on that.                         

2 hours ago, reids said:

Exactly. If someone is wanting to hear Led Zeppelin music live, Go see JBLZE (they’re on tour with Foreigner and Whitesnake) or a tribute act like Led zepagain. 

R😎

Wow, three LZ tribute bands on one bill...AMAZING!!!

Just kidding, could not help myself.

1 hour ago, Bong-Man said:

3.)  Jimmy's comment about listening to the "D & C" from Southampton was just a means to throw people off-track.  He's much wiser now about what's out there and what we think exists.  There isn't a 7 month build-up occurring to give us another '73 show, regardless if it was multi-tracked.  He stole from it once to correct recording flaws, and he was probably listening to it again for the same reason.  

The fact that Southampton is a multitrack makes it a candidate. What we've heard is a rough mix only. I've been listening to it recently with the mind set that given the proper attention, it could sonically sound amazing! I've never really enjoyed this show but I have no doubt that it could be drastically improved and deserves to be as well.