LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

4 minutes ago, Kevinrm15 said:

I just noticed something of interest... September 7th, 1968 is when the band formed.  September 7th falls on a Friday this year.  That's release day.  I have a feeling we'll have a new LZ product in our hands that day...

Yes we will get alternate mixes from LZ I. "Babe I'm gonna leave you" without guitar overdub, "Communication Breakdown" with a louder hi hat, "Good Times Bad Times" with a louder bass. Stuff like this.

My high hopes for amazing live releases just went from 100 to 0 today.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:31 AM, SteveAJones said:

So you already know everything, though your original post suggested otherwise. Well, good luck with that tell all book and Springsteen-style download site. I wouldn't hold my breath on either, but I'm sure you knew that too. :rolleyes:  

Of course, but can't I be an idealist?? :yesnod: . I realize the Springsteen style download site won't likely occur, but it's still a great idea, presuming the artist wants their concerts to be released, which is the reason why the guys in LZ would nix the idea. They would only want the very best stuff to be publicly released. I understand that's the way they operate. So be it.

But when it comes to the book, that's a different matter. It makes no sense for them to do the book in any other way than I described it. For the amount of griping that Page and Plant have done in interviews over the years about the books that have been written about them, you would think they would want to set the record straight with their own book. While I understand that money is the biggest factor behind the publication of most of the rock musician autobiographies over the past 5-7 years, they have also been done because the authors know that when they write their own book, it generally puts end to the unauthorized books which they hate. I am not aware of another book that's been written about Keith Richards, Aerosmith (except their individual autobiographies), Clapton, etc., since they published their own autobiography. Yes, having NY Times bestseller is nice, but being able to put an end to the unauthorized books is also nice. And as I said, there have been a million and a half books related to LZ photography. Jimmy's book capped it off. I am just hoping for a greater emphasis on "text" as opposed to photos in this new book, but the way it looks (like a coffee table book), I am probably not going to get what many people would like. But this is their chance to write their own story.....they can't complain in interviews anymore when someone brings up Davis' book, Cole's book, etc. I was just reading a 1988 interview with Plant last night where he went on for a whole page about the misinformation that's contained in books about the band. Moreover, universities do not consider Wikipedia to be a "reputable" reference, so almost every thing I read on there, I read with a grain of salt - even if the information is credited to a magazine article from 1971 that no one owns. LZ have their chance now to set the record straight. It's now or never, because they're aren't getting any younger. I am only mentioning this because of the amount of times I have seen Jimmy and Robert pissed off when interviewers ask questions that were clearly based on info they attained through unauthorized books. Jimmy and Robert ask with irritation, "How do you know?" Well, if you don't say anything yourself or give any references to reputable sources, fans are going to look to bad or inadequate sources. I am not talking about the mud shark business, but information and true stories that are related to the band's music and performances.

Edited by ThreeSticks

Well, they'd 'formed' by August '68, when they started rehearsing.
But with 7th September being the first date of the New Yardbirds Scandinavian tour, yes, it would make sense for a live release to come out on the 50th anniversary of the first gig.
Unless there's some pernickety move to wait until the anniversary of the first gig they actually played as Led Zeppelin in October...?
That'd be taking the piss a bit, though, I guess! 

A tell-all book would be great for us and, yes, this would be a great opportunity to do it, but I really wouldn't hold out any hope that it'll happen.
Even Ross Halfin couldn't get any details out of Jimmy when he asked him about something and Jimmy
got exasperated and went 'What do want to know for?!' I suspect that's Jimmy's view on a lot of things that went on.
And only last year in that Classic Rock interview, Robert flushed the idea in no uncertain terms when he said:
'Where the fuck does this memoir shit come from? Those stories are locked nicely between my two ever-growing earholes so fuck it. There's a lot in there and that's where it's staying.'
Shame, but I'm guessing he hasn't changed his mind since last Autumn...

Edited by Brigante

As much as I respect Ross Halfin as a photographer, he is the kind of guy who would ask Page about off-stage activities of the band (and its crew) that LZ clearly don't wish to talk about, which I understand. I mean, if you read Nikki Sixx's book "The Heroin Diaries," it talks about an orgy that Ross participated in. Whenever sex, drugs, and sleaze are brought up in various Behind The Musics, there's old Ross telling us about everything he witnessed. I don't read his website, but whenever he is on TV, he comes off as a guy who is the least bit concerned about the music.

I think LZ can do a great, great book that isn't a "tell-all." I realize it's been a long time since the recording of "Led Zeppelin III," but the band's recollections of that time period are probably way more vivid than what happened at 4am at some night club in San Antonio after an exhausting 1969 show.

Most musicians really enjoy discussing the creative process, how they work, what inspires them, etc. It's one of the reasons why Jimmy's interviews in the documentary "It Might Get Loud" were so magical. In that film you could almost see tears in his eyes when he walked into Headley Grange. If you keep it to the music, he's very open and has a wealth of information to share.

Edited by ThreeSticks

Can't remember what it was that Jimmy wouldn't discuss with Halfin, but the kind of 'tell-all' book I was thinking of was one along the lines you've suggested, not any of Halfin's rock pig malarkey.
This would be the time to do it, I agree - but I've not seen much evidence that Jimmy actually wants to share that kind of information.
It'd be such a turnaround from the way he's always been, that I honestly can't see it happening.
I'd like to be wrong, though!

8 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

Yes we will get alternate mixes from LZ I. "Babe I'm gonna leave you" without guitar overdub, "Communication Breakdown" with a louder hi hat, "Good Times Bad Times" with a louder bass. Stuff like this.

My high hopes for amazing live releases just went from 100 to 0 today.

I mean, I'd be lying if I said that I was jumping for joy over this news today, but I don't understand your comment here. This isn't even a part of the 50th anniversary. That's due to begin in September, per this site: http://ledzepnews.com/2018/01/23/led-zeppelin-fiftieth-anniversary-events-releases-september-2018/

Plus, this was teased for 12 hours. Would I have liked something more profound? Of course, but I'm not super bummed out about it because there was very little build up to it anyway. By contrast, there's been significant build up for the 50th anniversary. I think we're going to get some cool stuff coming out in the next few years. What it will be remains to be seen, but I wouldn't go from optimistic to pessimistic over this one tiny release.

Of course, I could be wrong and we'll be getting stuff that's more along the lines of what you wrote. In which case, I, and others, are in this boat right now:

658.png

I wish we could hear from John Paul Jones from time to time.  It's all always Page or Plant
being asked  Led Zeppelin stuff.  I know most Zep related things go to Page first for obvious
reasons,  but it feels like Jones is never included.   Over all the interviews these guys have
given,   I have found Jones  the one who just answers  easy and simple.    "What time is it
Jones?"   "1:30 pm"
  Robert  speaks in riddles and games with his answer where you can
speculate all 24 hours in the day as to the time and Page  answers with a vague statement
that goes around in a circle unrelated to the question.    In other words Jimmy and Plant's
answers always turn into a speculation thread of no actual info about anything.  I am seeing
that now in relation to their 50th anniversary about what could happen.  Hahaha  and yes I too
have contributed to those specs.  
:lol:^_^:blush:

But anyways just wish somebody in the media would talk to Jones and ask him some stuff
about his old band and what might be happening.  He'd probably be a bit more straight forward.  

On 1/30/2018 at 8:15 PM, Strider said:

Royal Albert Hall was recorded on only six tracks and it sounds pretty good. In fact, the audio to 1970 RAH on the DVD sounds better, more raw and alive, than the audio to "How the West Was Won".

Speaking of 50th Anniversaries, Ian Anderson announced a Jethro Tull 50th Anniversary Tour, which hits the Greek Theatre in L.A. in May.

Is Martin Barr still on guitar? Dam we saw some good Tull shows and went to a couple of conventions back in NY in the 90's. Always  a great time....One convention was held in an old disco in Manhattan,  tons of partying, Tull tribute bands ...great music.  Of course I wore a zep shirt to any Tull event we attended, always a good conversation starter 😉.

It' sad, the guy who put together that convention at the old disco just passed away 2 weeks ago.  Back then we traded Tull & Zep boots , a bunch of them. His name was Jerry. He actully worked at the Garden and saw every zep show from '73 to '77. He had some stories , man he had some stories!

But he was a Tull fan to the soul. I think I'll pick up a 6 pack of Becks and drink one for him tonight.

10 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Is Martin Barr still on guitar? Dam we saw some good Tull shows and went to a couple of conventions back in NY in the 90's. Always  a great time....One convention was held in an old disco in Manhattan,  tons of partying, Tull tribute bands ...great music.  Of course I wore a zep shirt to any Tull event we attended, always a good conversation starter 😉.

It' sad, the guy who put together that convention at the old disco just passed away 2 weeks ago.  Back then we traded Tull & Zep boots , a bunch of them. His name was Jerry. He actully worked at the Garden and saw every zep show from '73 to '77. He had some stories , man he had some stories!

But he was a Tull fan to the soul. I think I'll pick up a 6 pack of Becks and drink one for him tonight.

No Martin Barre. He and Ian apparently are on the outs. This is what I found from the web...

Ian Anderson will celebrate the 50th anniversary of Jethro Tull over the course of an extensive North American tour next year. The tour is currently scheduled to span from late May through September. Anderson will be backed by bassist David Goodier, keyboardist John O’Hara, guitarist Florian Opahle and drummer Scott Hammond

2 hours ago, Strider said:

No Martin Barre. He and Ian apparently are on the outs. This is what I found from the web...

Ian Anderson will celebrate the 50th anniversary of Jethro Tull over the course of an extensive North American tour next year. The tour is currently scheduled to span from late May through September. Anderson will be backed by bassist David Goodier, keyboardist John O’Hara, guitarist Florian Opahle and drummer Scott Hammond

I saw JT in the 90's with Barre and it was Excellent. It's the best I'd seen Tull since the original TAAB Tour. I saw the TAAB/TAAB Pt.2 Tour but I just wasn't blown over. Won't be going to see any Tull 50th shows.... just going to remember what an awesome experience it was to see TAAB in the 70's, when Ian and the band were at the Zenith...

Edited by The Rover

I've been doing some research on this long fabled chronological live album.  And I've found some pretty interesting quotes from Jimmy:

"We have so much good live stuff.  We've got six live concerts on tape which were good nights.  We've got some ancient stuff live at Royal Albert Hall in 1970.  It's very interesting to listen to.  You can compare different versions of tunes as they span the years.  So a chronological live compilation is a thing I've always been keen on, but the soundtrack came out so it's been shelved for a while." Jimmy Page, 1976.

"It's an honest soundtrack live album, but a chronological live album is something I've always fancied.  There's great stuff there and it takes us up to this year.  There's a winning version of 'No Quarter' from Earls Court and from the Albert Hall 'I Can't Quit You Baby'.  The 'How Many More Times' is also pretty good.  It's great hearing those numbers that we'll probably never do again.  We've also got numbers from Southampton University and some small clubs."  Jimmy Page, 1977.

Source:  https://books.google.com/books?id=SzgDAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT92&lpg=PT92&dq=led+zeppelin+chronological+live+album&source=bl&ots=kaZsb4dCEq&sig=29B2xCbrOq6b2vQOWLUDzHBtl90&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjm0O2BsdPZAhVPY6wKHefSBjY4ChDoAQhZMAk#v=onepage&q=led zeppelin chronological live album&f=false

"Think of 1980 - It's The Song Remains The Same soundtrack or nothing.  1990 - The Song Remains The Same soundtrack or nothing. And now it's the same.  I've always wanted to put out a chronological live album of Zeppelin stuff - there's some incredibly good stuff - but I just can't get the others to agree, so I've stopped trying."  Jimmy Page Classic Rock, March 2000.

Source: https://books.google.com/books?id=jOzTNQk0C48C&pg=PT120&lpg=PT120&dq=led+zeppelin+chronological+live+album&source=bl&ots=UU93StkmN5&sig=z2DZXSdT1IbfSY3zmm6Bn_l2TbU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJycTBwtTZAhUObK0KHabWBgY4ChDoAQhKMAY#v=onepage&q=led zeppelin chronological live album&f=false

Jimmy Page: I’d wanted to do a chronological live Zeppelin album since 1980, starting with tracks from the Albert Hall, but we could never get anyone to agree on anything. In retrospect, though, it was probably a good thing it took so long. It’s a great moment right now for something like this. Because of the digital technology we were able to use to restore these things it’s almost like going back in time. Albert Hall, for example, looks like it was recorded yesterday.

Source: http://teamrock.com/feature/2003-03-26/archive-led-zeppelin-live-without-a-net

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:44 AM, ThreeSticks said:

While I understand that money is the biggest factor behind the publication of most of the rock musician autobiographies over the past 5-7 years, they have also been done because the authors know that when they write their own book, it generally puts end to the unauthorized books which they hate. I am not aware of another book that's been written about Keith Richards, Aerosmith (except their individual autobiographies), Clapton, etc., since they published their own autobiography. Yes, having NY Times bestseller is nice, but being able to put an end to the unauthorized books is also nice.

The official autobiographies don't put an end to unofficial biographies at all, and that is because the official biographies tend to reveal only that which the author/artist wants to share. Pete Townsend published his autobiography and somewhat surprisingly it's a snooze because he simply does not delve into contentious topics. It's not that an official Richards autobiography, for example, has brought about an end to the unofficial efforts, it's that it has come along so late in his life. So many unofficial efforts have already been published--what's left to tell, really? This holds true for most prominent '60s-'70s era rockers. I can all but guarantee any official Led Zeppelin autobiography will be predominantly pictorial in nature.   

Edited by SteveAJones

17 minutes ago, Kevinrm15 said:

We've also got numbers from Southampton University and some small clubs."  Jimmy Page, 1977.

Please god yes. Euro '73 here we come. 

I've always wanted to put out a chronological live album of Zeppelin stuff - there's some incredibly good stuff - but I just can't get the others to agree, so I've stopped trying."  Jimmy Page Classic Rock, March 2000.

but we could never get anyone to agree on anything.

What the flying f**k?

Are they two years old?

This is one of the most incredible things I have read in a while. What a shame. Can't just be RP saying it bc of his voice. Must be other things going on too. An unbelievable shame. Maybe RP and JPJ legitimately don't like the performances that were captured. Hopefully with 2018 remixing techniques it can get to a place where the others would sign off on it. Not that it's even my first choice for a release, but if JP wants it this badly, as he very clearly does, I want him to make it and release it. The others should do it for him!

7 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

What the flying f**k?

Are they two years old?

This is one of the most incredible things I have read in a while. What a shame. Can't just be RP saying it bc of his voice. Must be other things going on too. An unbelievable shame. Maybe RP and JPJ legitimately don't like the performances that were captured. Hopefully with 2018 remixing techniques it can get to a place where the others would sign off on it. Not that it's even my first choice for a release, but if JP wants it this badly, as he very clearly does, I want him to make it and release it. The others should do it for him!

I cannot imagine JPJ would have any problem with live releases that are sitting on Jimmy's shelf. Why??? Him and Bonham provided a rock solid foundation for Jimmy and Robert to launch from night in, night out. John-Paul has said in interviews how he loved playing with Jimmy and Zeppelin so much for what they were able to do.

Robert on the other hand has been known to want to distance himself from his past while trying to re-invent himself at times. It has to be Plant putting the brakes on. The good news is, I don't see how that would still apply. Robert is in a great space at the moment, seems happy creatively and is critically well received, so why not live releases from a past life? It has NO impact on his current endeavors/persona.

So I think there is a MASSIVE silver lining to be had here.....

Jimmy saying there are plenty of live shows - some small clubs recorded (WOW!!!!!!!), could make for a compilation - OR - and I hope this is how it plays out - multiple live releases!!!

I just hope there is something unknown from 77-80 that will absolutely stun even the most avid fans in here.

I can't wait for the next 12-18 months!

9 hours ago, paplbojo said:

At around 4:35 Jimmy Page confirms he "has a lot of live takes from '69 through to Knebworth". 

Watch Plants reaction to Page's talking about live Zep stuff...its fucking priceless. Page is keen to speak on the subject, but Plant starts twitching and then says: "well that happened a few years ago. I think we're playing better now than we did then". And watch how Plant gets his shit shut down by this interviewer and audience after his inane comment. :D

20 years later and The Shit Remains The Same

27 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Watch Plants reaction to Page's talking about live Zep stuff...its fucking priceless. Page is keen to speak on the subject, but Plant starts twitching and then says: "well that happened a few years ago. I think we're playing better now than we did then". And watch how Plant gets his shit shut down by this interviewer and audience after his inane comment. :D

Don't know what your watching, Chris Evans did not shut down Plant at all, if anything the fawning fanboi shut the live question down.

13 hours ago, paplbojo said:
13 hours ago, Kevinrm15 said:

We've also got numbers from Southampton University and some small clubs."  Jimmy Page, 1977.

The very popular tour of Europe 73 on the continent was in contrast to the earlier UK tour by no means a small clubs affair. With a few exceptions, like K.B.Hallen Copenhagen or Hamburg Musikhalle, they played in rather huge venues with capacity of 10000 to 15000 fans.

45 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

The very popular tour of Europe 73 on the continent was in contrast to the earlier UK tour by no means a small clubs affair. With a few exceptions, like K.B.Hallen Copenhagen or Hamburg Musikhalle, they played in rather huge venues with capacity of 10000 to 15000 fans.

Ah... I see. 

Page has said with the 50th and over the next several years there will be live material coming.  He doesn't specify whether this is audio , video or both.  So we'll see.  Although, a lot of this was used for the 2003 dvd and whether he seems it's worth rleasing what is leftover or another show they may still have in the archives on video.

22 hours ago, Kevinrm15 said:

"We have so much good live stuff.  We've got six live concerts on tape which were good nights.  We've got some ancient stuff live at Royal Albert Hall in 1970.  It's very interesting to listen to.  You can compare different versions of tunes as they span the years.  So a chronological live compilation is a thing I've always been keen on, but the soundtrack came out so it's been shelved for a while." Jimmy Page, 1976.

Those six he is referring to I reckon are:

1. RAH 1.9.70

2. MSG 7.27.73

3. MSG 7.28.73

4. MSG 7.29.73

5. Earls Court 5.24.75

6. Earls Court 5.25.75

Edited by Strider

11 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

I think you misinterpreted...as I see it the interviewer and audience are saying how awesome the performance they just gave was, in response to Plant saying how great they are playing right now even compared to the Zep years. There was no shutting down of Plant's shit so far as I can tell.

I don't agree with him that he's better now than ever but I understand him saying it. It wouldn't be fun to think that the best has come and gone. 

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Those six he is referring to I reckon are:

1. RAH 1.9.70

2. MSG 7.27.73

3. MSG 7.28.73

4. MSG 7.29.73

5. Earls Court 5.24.75

6. Earls Court 5.25.75

I have an article from Sounds Newspaper dated September 30th 1978. It was part 3 of a series in which it detailed albums, singles, soundtracks and bootlegs. I quote " During Filming for The Song Remains The Same, Joe Massot's crew caught Zeppelin shows in Baltimore,Pittsburgh and Boston as well as the 3 nights at MSG". ALL WERE TAPED. 

Edited by chillumpuffer