LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

I just talked with Joe Bonamassa and Kevin Shirley on Sirius XM channel 106 Volume on Eddie Trunk's show this afternoon. I asked Kevin if he had worked on anything with Jimmy Page for their 50th Anniversary next year and he said he hasn't  spoken with Jimmy in about the 10 years, since working on several projects with him/ Led Zep. The rebroadcast is on tonight (now til midnight on channel 106 for those of you with Sirius XM) and for those of you that don't have it, it will be later added to Eddie Trunk's podcast soon.

R😎

Edited by reids

I really do hope an official / authorized bootleg series is in the works (to cover 68-80 live). *That would be a great way to start a 50th Anniversary celebration next year.* Could you imagine,  at least one great performance or best of performances from each of their touring years being compiled, digitally remastered from the best source tapes and released digital, cd & limited edition vinyl with liner notes from the surviving members along with related quotes from John Bonham?  

R😎

Edited by reids

A live 'best of' triple LP covering 1968 to 1980 would absolutely floor me, I wouldn't need anything else after that.

Unfortunately I don't think anything like it will see the light of day at this stage.

I reckon next year we'll get loads of magazine covers, a handful of books & maybe a programme or two on the telly if we're lucky.

On 9/25/2017 at 9:29 AM, Mook said:

A live 'best of' triple LP covering 1968 to 1980 would absolutely floor me, I wouldn't need anything else after that.

Unfortunately I don't think anything like it will see the light of day at this stage.

I reckon next year we'll get loads of magazine covers, a handful of books & maybe a programme or two on the telly if we're lucky.

We shall see!  Doesn't seem Plant's touring plans are as extensive as they've been from the most recent tours.  As of now they end in early March in Aussie.  But may be extended.  He may be doing this for the 50th anniversary plans, whatever they may be?  But who knows at this point?

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

We shall see!  Doesn't seem Plant's touring plans are as extensive as they've been from the most recent tours.  As of now they end in early March in Aussie.  But may be extended.  He may be doing this for the 50th anniversary plans, whatever they may be?  But who knows at this point?

I would put good money on Robert Plant doing very little or nothing in relation to the 50th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies if some of my comments duplicate those earlier in the thread; I didn't read it all before posting.

Given the greedy, back catalogue recycling (re-packaging) tendency of the few record companies that remain operational, it is inconceivable that they will not release new material or re-packaged Led Zeppelin material in 2018/19.  Jimmy Page, in his guise as curator and "Keeper of the Flame" for the band from a product release perspective, will, without doubt, insist on something special being released by Atlantic to mark the band's 50th Anniversary. 

Following on from the gargantuan studio remaster series, the only unreleased material of note in the archives will be live recordings. The most logical live releases seem to be an Earls Court live anthology covering all five dates or a Badge Holders Only official extravaganza.  The likely mammoth, deep dive hunt for tape treasure in the Atlantic vaults, for the studio remasters, will definitely have unearthed live tape material that was previously thought lost or was merely misplaced.  Reviewing all the extant tapes may have resulted in Jimmy looking at the multi-track live tapes that do exist with a fresh light and perhaps deemed them worthy of his rigorous fairy dust treatment (being polite about it!). I'd kinda also expect the Led Zeppelin DVD to have a Blu-ray and 4K release.

The only downside to a Zep 50th Anniversary release salvo is that it will afford Jimmy an altogether too easy excuse to postpone his long-mooted new solo record and tour for the umpteenth time.  Not that I held any great hope for either for several years now. 

Without being unduly cynical, I can't help thinking Robert timed his new solo album release and the supporting world tour to properly kick any prospect of him participating in any Zep 50th activity not only into the long grass but into the farthest corners of the globe.

Despite all the protestations to the contrary, while a full concert with the remaining members and Jason is inconceivable. Notwithstanding my previous RP remark, I think a televised four-song June performance in Central Park is viable. The amount of rehearsal required to float that would be moderate and sustainable and not disrupt RP's touring schedule that much.  As someone astute proposed earlier on this thread, an acoustic set is a good call to get around Robert's current singing style and Jimmy's likely physical endurance constraints.

Another idea that came to mind, which would be fitting and I think popular is a David Bowie IS or Pink Floyd: their Mortal Remains style touring exhibition portraying the Zeppelin legacy with a panoply of unseen and rare artefacts. 

Cheers,
Indi

Edited by indigomoonbeam

Some of the soundboards surely could be turned into pretty damn good live releases. Snowblind, The Dancing Avocado, Earls Court, a '77 gig or two, possibly Copenhagen?

If such was JP's desire, we could have a great year coming.

20 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

If such was JP's desire, we could have a great year coming.

To my knowledge, all three members have to agree on any Zep posthumous releases.

Of course I get your point that Jimmy would be the catalyst for any such activity.

At risk of repeating myself, the two main stumbling blocks are:

a. they are all minted and don't need the cash

b. Plant is enjoying a glorious Indian summer in his solo career

Edited by Boleskinner

9 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

To my knowledge, all three members have to agree on any Zep posthumous releases.

Of course I get your point that Jimmy would be the catalyst for any such activity.

At risk of repeating myself, the two main stumbling blocks are:

a. they are all minted and don't need the cash

b. Plant is enjoying a glorious Indian summer in his solo career

Yeah, but thinking of those as a "block"....

a. - they don't need the cash, but then, who cares if extra cash might flow? Not a motivation, but not a block.

b. - Maybe this, maybe not. Maybe Plant won't mind too much as he is well comfortable with his place now, and won't mind a well put together release that shows him then. Past Plant is not a threat to now Plant. He may not really care and go along with it. Happy to facilitate a JP that is more stuck in the past.

• 2 months later...

I would not be surprised if we see the live anthology Jimmy has spoken of in the past. He has had plenty of time to wade through the available material and compile what would be included on such a release. Perhaps his recent interest in bootleg recordings served as a reference point for particular shows/songs that make the grade.

4 hours ago, pimmyjage said:

I would not be surprised if we see the live anthology Jimmy has spoken of in the past. He has had plenty of time to wade through the available material and compile what would be included on such a release. Perhaps his recent interest in bootleg recordings served as a reference point for particular shows/songs that make the grade.

Yes, this would be fantastic! He's been into boots for many years now. I really hope you're right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ten and a half to 50....

hours in my town before it's officially 2018, the year of the 50th anniversary of the greatest rock n' roll band in the world that there ever was, and still is! Let the festivities begin, I'm pumped!

Edited by luvlz2

3 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Ten and a half to 50....

hours in my town before it's officially 2018, the year of the 50th anniversary of the greatest rock n' roll band in the world that there ever was, and still is! Let the festivities begin, I'm pumped!

Happy (early) new year and happy 50th Anniversary To Led Zeppelin!!!

R😎🎸👍🎊🎈🎆🎉

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this site as a contributor but a mega fan. I have heard from a serious source that all three members plus Jason played in a studio in Worcester England between Xmas and New Year. Not sure what it's about ie: dubbing a live record , recording new music or simply rehearsing. There has been no internet traffic on this. I also see Jason has scrapped his Australia tour in January. Robert is not due to start his tour until February. Has anyone had any wind of this?

5 hours ago, Urozep said:

I am new to this site as a contributor but a mega fan. I have heard from a serious source that all three members plus Jason played in a studio in Worcester England between Xmas and New Year. Not sure what it's about ie: dubbing a live record , recording new music or simply rehearsing. There has been no internet traffic on this. I also see Jason has scrapped his Australia tour in January. Robert is not due to start his tour until February. Has anyone had any wind of this?

Jason’s tour of Australia / New Zealand has been moved to May & early June 2018 with JBLZE North American tour dates through August. http://www.jasonbonham.net/

http://www.jasonbonham.net/blog/2017/11/6/jblze-australianew-zealand-2018

R😎

Edited by reids