Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Bags_Groove

Best sounding Audience Tapes of 1972

Recommended Posts

This is similar to my earlier post asking about the best audience tapes of 1970, but this is one that I am totally in the dark on because as far as bootlegs go, I've barely even dipped my pinky-toe into what this year has to offer (outside of a vinyl copy of "Alexandra Palace" in my collection and a short sampling of "My Brain Hurts" in a local record shop that I didn't end up buying, plus a download of the short long beach soundboard, I haven't even touched any boots from this year). 

Give me your recommendations! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This should probably go into the Live forum.

That being said, the most famous one is Burn Like a Candle, from their 6/25 show at the LA Forum. One of two shows used on HTWWW, many people actually prefer this to the live album. Very good recording. Apart from that, here's a few more:

All of the Australasian shows (with the exception of Brisbane) sound excellent.

6/15 Uniondale, save for the chatty tapers

6/22 San Bernardino

6/28 Tucson

10/2 Tokyo

10/10 Kyoto

Of those mentioned, I'd say Tokyo is the best sounding followed by Burn Like a Candle. (It's been a while since I've listened to some of these though, so bear with me)

The Seattle show on 6/19 deserves a special mention as well. The recording is ok at best, but the performance is incredible. The live debut of four of their songs, an epic organ solo/medley, tons of encores, etc. Seriously, look at the setlist. If I could go back in time and see one Zeppelin show, I'd see this one (preferably with great taping equipment :lol:). My holy grail is a soundboard of this show.

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlotte 72 is excellent sounding as is the tape from 6/18 Seattle which is sadly incomplete. The above mentioned shows are all very good audience tapes as well. All of the Australian shows are very listenable  except for Brisbane. To me , that's Zep firing on all cylinders. Baltimore is another killer show and a very good sounding tape. Oct 3 has a few sources , one of which is quite good. Oct 9 as well. 

Edited by porgie66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10.5.2017 at 1:19 AM, ZepHead315 said:

This should probably go into the Live forum.

That being said, the most famous one is Burn Like a Candle, from their 6/25 show at the LA Forum. One of two shows used on HTWWW, many people actually prefer this to the live album. Very good recording. Apart from that, here's a few more:

All of the Australasian shows (with the exception of Brisbane) sound excellent.

6/15 Uniondale, save for the chatty tapers

6/22 San Bernardino

6/28 Tucson

10/2 Tokyo

10/10 Kyoto

Of those mentioned, I'd say Tokyo is the best sounding followed by Burn Like a Candle. (It's been a while since I've listened to some of these though, so bear with me)

The Seattle show on 6/19 deserves a special mention as well. The recording is ok at best, but the performance is incredible. The live debut of four of their songs, an epic organ solo/medley, tons of encores, etc. Seriously, look at the setlist. If I could go back in time and see one Zeppelin show, I'd see this one (preferably with great taping equipment :lol:). My holy grail is a soundboard of this show.

Hope this helps!

Hi ZepHead315

May I ask which releases you prefer of 10/2 Tokyo & 10/10 Kyoto? EVs "Led Zeppelin Is My Brother" is the best I have heard so far for Tokyo. Do you know Taranturas "Evil Spirits In Kyoto"? One of the three sources sounds really amazing( I`ve listened to samples on Black Beauty), although Bootledz report that the sources are unnecessarily mixed- or do you like the EV or Wendy versions better?

Many thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Hi ZepHead315

May I ask which releases you prefer of 10/2 Tokyo & 10/10 Kyoto? EVs "Led Zeppelin Is My Brother" is the best I have heard so far for Tokyo. Do you know Taranturas "Evil Spirits In Kyoto"? One of the three sources sounds really amazing( I`ve listened to samples on Black Beauty), although Bootledz report that the sources are unnecessarily mixed- or do you like the EV or Wendy versions better?

Many thanks in advance!

EVs "Led Zeppelin Is My Brother" is just as good a bootleg as any for 10/2. I'm not familiar with Taranturas "Evil Spirits In Kyoto", but Wendy's "The Old Capital" is very good. I'd recommend that one for 10/10. Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2017 at 4:19 PM, ZepHead315 said:

All of the Australasian shows (with the exception of Brisbane) sound excellent.

I havent found any of these shows listenable although I didnt give them much of a chance on the first and only listening . . Could you rate and tell me your favs:)

 

THX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

I havent found any of these shows listenable although I didnt give them much of a chance on the first and only listening . . Could you rate and tell me your favs:)

 

THX

Adelaide and Sydney have the best sound IMO. Melbourne has pretty good sound too, albeit it has multiple sources, at least one of which was mediocre IIRC. They're all good shows with their own moments. I'd say start with Adelaide, then Sydney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Montreal deserves mention, the recording is distant but clear, and a great performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

During this pandemic I've been listening to select shows chronologically and I just started 72 coincidentally enough. Melbourne and Auckland are very good. Jimmy plays a bit of TSRTS during D&C in Auckland. In January!! Based on the UK late 71 tour it seemed Robert had already lost the capacity to sing the close of STH in all its glory, but he's back in full throat. Musta been the warmer weather. Been reading concert and album reviews and fan comments from those times as well. STH was just starting to grow on people as being pretty damn good!

Edited by Zep Hed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the epic 3 hour Seattle '72 show! I believe it was 6-19-72. Fantastic performance!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another topic that already has been discussed multiple times in the Live Section of this forum...not that hard to find.

1 hour ago, f2walsh said:

I really like the epic 3 hour Seattle '72 show! I believe it was 6-19-72. Fantastic performance!!

Did you even read the heading of this thread? It is about "best sounding audience tapes of 1972". Seattle 1972 is a fabulous performance. But anyone who would consider that a good-sounding audience tape probably enjoys listening to Tempe '77.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Strider said:

Here is another topic that already has been discussed multiple times in the Live Section of this forum...not that hard to find.

Did you even read the heading of this thread? It is about "best sounding audience tapes of 1972". Seattle 1972 is a fabulous performance. But anyone who would consider that a good-sounding audience tape probably enjoys listening to Tempe '77.

To be fair, while it's certainly not a good recording, it's not as bad as many people say, either (some parts are definitely rougher than others).  Definitely better than some other great shows that are marred by the terrible recording (like Nassau '72 or Baltimore '73).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Strider said:

Here is another topic that already has been discussed multiple times in the Live Section of this forum...not that hard to find.

Did you even read the heading of this thread? It is about "best sounding audience tapes of 1972". Seattle 1972 is a fabulous performance. But anyone who would consider that a good-sounding audience tape probably enjoys listening to Tempe '77.

whats wrong with a little more discussion? and i was also wondering why seattle was in the "best sounding" aud thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

To be fair, while it's certainly not a good recording, it's not as bad as many people say, either (some parts are definitely rougher than others).  Definitely better than some other great shows that are marred by the terrible recording (like Nassau '72 or Baltimore '73).

Do you know how many people complain about the June 25, 1972 audience tape? And it sounds like Mike Millard quality compared to June 19 Seattle. I have seen quite a few people here refuse to even consider listening to any show that is not a soundboard or multitrack.

Some people just don't have "bootleg ears" and you definitely need "bootleg ears" for Seattle '72.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we listed all of them in order of quality, something's gotta come in last, right? Philadelphia, just so we know what's at the bottom of the list. 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...