Cuts by Mike the Mic

Bozoso73

As Im listening to the final night of the LA 77 run there is a cut in ALS and got to wondering of the shows he gave to friends,  are there multiple MM shows that made it out before he destroyed his tapes?? Like different versions of his tapes of the same show like with a volume shift here or a cut there?? Are there MM shows out there without cuts and volume shifts? Are there particular boots out there with minimal or no deliberate things done to them? I hope Im making sense. . its late

Thx:):)

I would never claim to know what Mike Millard's system was or why he did what he did. But from what I have read, every copy Mike Millard made had a cut or some audio tell that he kept track of, where by he could tell who gave his tape to a bootlegger.

I am assuming that Millard must have made plenty of tapes of the June 21, 1977 show, for instance, for trading purposes. Now, the cut in Ten Years Gone was due to him having to flip the tape over during the concert, so every June 21st tape has that same cut.

But some bootlegs of June 21 have Robert Plant's comment after SIBLY "I'm starting to cook" and some bootlegs don't. The very first cd version I got of "Listen to this, Eddie" was the Silver Rarities release. It did not have Plant's comment. But the EVSD Christmas Edition did.

That suggests at least two people sold their tape to the bootleggers. One guy had the "I'm starting to cook" comment on his copy, and the other guy didn't.

Given the amount of people claiming to have 1st generation tapes, Millard must have sent out a lot of copies, and it appears that most everyone kept their copies under wraps, away from the bootleggers. 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

Just to note that I was listening to the new Listen To This Erik Youtube upload the other day and I noticed that Plant's introduction to Bonham for Over The Top went on for a lot longer than I could recall it doing on Eddie, so maybe this was a Millard cut?

Cool. So Plant said more in the intro then? I'l have to give it a listen.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2017 at 10:02 PM, Strider said:

But some bootlegs of June 21 have Robert Plant's comment after SIBLY "I'm starting to cook" and some bootlegs don't. The very first cd version I got of "Listen to this, Eddie" was the Silver Rarities release. It did not have Plant's comment. But the EVSD Christmas Edition did.

That suggests at least two people sold their tape to the bootleggers. One guy had the "I'm starting to cook" comment on his copy, and the other guy didn't.

Given the amount of people claiming to have 1st generation tapes, Millard must have sent out a lot of copies, and it appears that most everyone kept their copies under wraps, away from the bootleggers. 

Listening now, it sounds like 'im starting to cook'' is edited in. 

On 12/13/2017 at 10:09 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

If Inrecall correctly the way Millard recorded the 6/27/77 show, the cut in ALS was from a tape flip.   

(Not to rock the boat but I think the Millard marking his tapes is highly exaggerated.   Maybe a little evidence of it but it seems overly blown).  IMO

I think there's definitely truth to Millard marking his tapes. I'm listening to SIBLY from For Badgeholders Only (Scorpio version) right now, and there's a couple of brief cuts to the vinyl source. They only last about a few seconds, which seems to be too short if he was doing a tape flip, which wouldn't make sense any way, since he had just hit record on his recorder. I think these "cuts" are markings by him. Logically, I don't see what else they could be. Plus, if memory serves, the unmarked 1st gen tapes of this show haven't been found (yet).

5 minutes ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Millard missed the first four songs on 6/23/77 and it suffered from a bunch of dropouts due to a faulty recording.   So those you mentioned may be in the actual recording 

Interesting. I never heard that about the 6/23 recording before. I'd love to hear more details regarding this. Learn something new every day! :)

The famous Badgeholders bootleg albums on Dragonsfly records was not from Millard.  It was a really high quality recording made by a guy named Barrry Goldstein.   I think he too missed the first song.  

The third source is much less quality than both of the above mentioned recording but it at least had the opening song, The Song Remains The Sams. 

On 12/16/2017 at 6:36 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

The famous Badgeholders bootleg albums on Dragonsfly records was not from Millard.  It was a really high quality recording made by a guy named Barrry Goldstein.   I think he too missed the first song.  

The third source is much less quality than both of the above mentioned recording but it at least had the opening song, The Song Remains The Sams. 

Is the Goldstein source you're referring to the same one as the "Goldberg" source referenced in this Royal Orleans discussion? If so, there seems to be speculation that the Goldstein/Goldberg source is actually different from the Dragonfly vinyl source. 

Sorry, I should have clarified. I knew about the different sources for this show, but I never heard about the Millard recording being faulty. I guess that would explain why there are so many dropouts. Fortunately, there are other sources that sound great, so the dropouts aren't that noticeable.

On 12/19/2017 at 7:49 AM, ZepHead315 said:

Is the Goldstein source you're referring to the same one as the "Goldberg" source referenced in this Royal Orleans discussion? If so, there seems to be speculation that the Goldstein/Goldberg source is actually different from the Dragonfly vinyl source. 

Sorry, I should have clarified. I knew about the different sources for this show, but I never heard about the Millard recording being faulty. I guess that would explain why there are so many dropouts. Fortunately, there are other sources that sound great, so the dropouts aren't that noticeable.

Someone sent me a screen capture of that discussion.   That would be neat if the original Dragonfly records was indeed from an unknown high quality taper.   The collector “blackmikioto” is awesome and knows his stuff.   

Another great researcher is MikeZep461.   All those guys are digging for truth and always digging for info and not in the hobby for games. 

Archived