Greta Van Fleet

mesamay2003

On 08/09/2017 at 3:01 AM, timothy5151 said:

Weather or not the vocalist sounds similar to Robert Plant or that they are trying to emulate Led Zeppelin... there is no denying how good they are live. I can wait to hear more studio stuff and see them live.

He's a full concert I found. Great stuff. 

This is a great show and recording. I cut it up and made a 'proper' album out of it. Where and how these guys have got it from I don't know, but they are the real deal, and could be huge. The 'hits' on here are arguably better played than the EP versions, and there are a couple of fun covers. Evil is excellent, as is the closer, That's All Right Mama. Listening to the latter, I think we can conclude they own a copy of TSRTS :)

Any Zep or indeed real music fan needs to hear this lot. I'm cheered up by them, music may not be dead after all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but I didn't get a thrill going up my leg when listening to GVF.

"Greta" ?? The first thing I think of when hear that is Greta Van Susteren. And that's a rock'n'roll downer in my book...

160906021603-greta-van-susteren-leaving-

As for the singer... he reminds me of the singer for The Black Crowes more than Robert Plant. Visually he reminds me of Justin Beiber.

I've never liked like Chris Robinson. Yes, I know Jimmy toured with them, but Jimmy's not god.

Jimmy was a rock god with Led Zeppelin. But outside of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy is just another musician to me.

But if this shit floats your boat, then enjoy it!!

Edited by The Rover

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to see this band in NYC at the Bowery Ballroom for one of their two sold out shows, but to know avail.  I found out too late about this show and the tickets were quite pricey to say the least on Stubhub and other ticket re-sellers. The original tickets sold for about $20.  Most for going for $200+ and some offered for over $400.  That's just insane.  

The Bowery is a small venue that holds 575 and I saw Robert Plant there with the Band of Joy back in 2010 for a one off intimate show.  I even heard myself with a shout out to Robert during the show in which he responded in a YT video with some chuckles from the crowd frpm what I said.  Never forget it and video still there.

Anyway this is a great band a good review of show with several photos from show.  They're young and hungry and very good musicians and performers.  They may be quite something in a few years and filling the arenas.  Definitely similarities to Zep but not copying them.  They love a lot of the music Zep took in quite young and quite astonishing considering how young this band is and how many years ago the music the members of GVF take in as influences is from.  Looking forward to see how they progress and hope to see them when they tour next in the NYC area. 

http://loudwire.com/greta-van-fleet-shine-rainy-new-york-city/

This band is the real thing and good musicians.  They will only get better in time with more experience, performing and creativity.  I haven't had a band or artist that I discovered in a long time like this with a WOW!  We'll see how they are in a few years and if they can keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...

I was very skeptical at first because of the hype.  Then I got the full CD From the Fires (double EP really) with 8 tracks.  Yes, Safari Song and Highway Tune are both muscular and catchy.  Great riffs.  And yes he can belt it out like no one in a long time.  And yes, Black Smoke Rising is a good rock song.  Flower Power is a nod to acoustic music and is more Black Crowes than Zeppelin.  In fact overall these guys owe a lot to the Crowes. 

Great sounding guitar solo on Safari Song - has a Wanton Song sound.  They can all certainly play.

For me they are the most exciting new guitar based band since the Black Crowes broke out in 1990.  

The one track that really struck me as their best songwriting effort is Edge of Darkness.  Lyrically and musically that one shows a lot of future promise.  It also owes a great debt to the Black Crowes.  This song would have fit nicely on The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

I am really looking forward to see what else they can come up with. 

Hi: I heard this band on Last Call with Carson Daly. This show is on @ 2:30 am where I live. The show may have been a repeat because there's no mention on the GVF FB pg that they were on LC. Anyhow I was impressed with their music. Being an insomniac has some rewards!!

Great band....they have a zeppelin influence, yet have their own band vibe also, very cool. Makes me think how rush had to go a few steps away from the led zeppelin sound to find their own sound. Yet this band can stay closer to zeppelin and write their own good songs. Very nice to finally hear a led zeppelin influence, that actually sounds good. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 3:29 PM, The Rover said:

I'm sorry, but I didn't get a thrill going up my leg when listening to GVF.

"Greta" ?? The first thing I think of when hear that is Greta Van Susteren. And that's a rock'n'roll downer in my book...

160906021603-greta-van-susteren-leaving-

As for the singer... he reminds me of the singer for The Black Crowes more than Robert Plant. Visually he reminds me of Justin Beiber.

I've never liked like Chris Robinson. Yes, I know Jimmy toured with them, but Jimmy's not god.

Jimmy was a rock god with Led Zeppelin. But outside of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy is just another musician to me.

But if this shit floats your boat, then enjoy it!!

When I hear 'Greta' I first think of Greta Garbo. But add the 'Van' and I definitely think of Greta Van Susteren...and it's a downer, for sure. Haha.

I agree with you Rover. Just not that excited by these guys...or Rival Sons, for that matter. I'm more worried that they won't be able to withstand the burden of hype and endless Led Zeppelin-comparisons. Are they this generation's Kingdom Come?

It's fine if you like Led Zeppelin II and all, but when you recreate a sound so slavishly it sometimes paints you into a corner that you cannot escape. The band is young and I guess this is a way for their young fans to experience the 1969 blues rock that they missed out on.

But I want to see how they develop before I think of them as saviors of rock. There are plenty of guitar-based bands out there that I prefer to these guys...Black Angels, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Brian Jonestown Massacre, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Thee Oh Sees to name a few.

But I wish them luck.

"You saw them last December, right?"

Nope. Remember the tickets were gone in seconds and went to exorbitant levels seconds later! Nephew was supposed to buy them and bailed last minute. Then tix went to ludicrous levels. No I got tix legit this time. May 11th seems like the future! So far away.

This is my current/perennial kick. 25 year old song.... got some Zep somewhere in it... maybe shares parts of TSRTS.... no?

You?

2 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

They just put out a cover of Adele's Rolling In The Deep. It's rather good. I can't think of many male singers who would attempt that, let alone bring it off. There's a nice guitar solo on there too.

Yeah, it's great, just heard it today. The Mr. said, "Hey, Greta just put out a new song" and I replied that I thought it was an Adele cover. He was like, "Adele? I don't think so". Very impressed!

On 1/25/2018 at 7:55 PM, BUK said:

FINALLY scored tickets for the Srtarland Ballroom in NJ on May 11th! Gonna see if they've got the stuff to give me goose bumps.

Congrats as I know how much you want to see this band! :hurrah:  I know, you as well as I had a bit of bad luck in not seeing them at the Bowery and hope they put on a good show as I've seen videos of their live shows and they can certainly play and quite well! :D

One thing I forgot to mention is that you're not the only one on this board going to this show! :whistling: