Greta Van Fleet

mesamay2003

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Some nerves showing on that number. Two things: Their wardrobe looks like they raided their mom's closet of "going out" clothes. Just terrible. Is he supposed to be a native American Hobbit? Freaking high water pants AND shirt? 2- Their stage movements (mostly the guitarist) are extremely forced and over exaggerated. They seriously look like kids with tennis rackets pretending they're in a rock band. So unnatural.

They did seem really nervous and it also seemed like they weren't actually playing their instruments, but all in all, I thought they did a good job, especially on the 2nd song once they warmed up a bit. I'm not sure where they were going with the clothing. Do they dress themselves or do they have help? If they have help, who is this misguided person? I feel like people would take them more seriously if they toned down the look a bit. They look like they're dressed up for Halloween as "hippies". 

Yes, they look ridiculous, and if the singer was wearing shorts he'd be Richard Simmons. Vocally, he reminds me of Geddy Lee, Rick Emmit and the Chipmunks. The worst part for me though is the over the top histrionics, as though he is actually doing something of grandeur....isn't this why punk rock was invented?

Guitarist is physically stiff/rigid, same goes for his playing. He also (unfortunately) earns the title as the bands lead poseur. 

Pretentious - definition: "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc, than is actually possessed"...GVF fit's the bill here.

Greta Van Fleet is overhyped.....big time!

I hope I'm not offending anyone here. If you like them, I understand. If I don't, then you should understand too. Its not personal, just  my opinion.B)

3 hours ago, Walter said:

. I’ve seen streamed shows that were much better than @ SNL.  Looking forward to seeing them in May.

Yeah, when they're comfortable with their environment and not worried about posing they're actually pretty solid live. They did a radio interview where they played acoustic and it was awesome. I have a feeling their agents and record execs are pushing them in this direction and that's too bad. Just let the boys play and dress how they want.

Hi there! I see a lot of the same people are still here...but many of my old friends are missing 😢hmm, wonder why...anyway, Greta Van Fleet--saw them live in 2017. Pretty good, lead singer has a great voice and good stage presence. In recent video on YouTube he seems to be screaming a lot though...the guitarist is getting better and better imo. I like the costumes, especially the Roger Daltrey look. 

On 1/21/2019 at 7:48 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Some nerves showing on that number. Two things: Their wardrobe looks like they raided their mom's closet of "going out" clothes. Just terrible. Is he supposed to be a native American Hobbit? Freaking high water pants AND shirt? 2- Their stage movements (mostly the guitarist) are extremely forced and over exaggerated. They seriously look like kids with tennis rackets pretending they're in a rock band. So unnatural.

No worse than most of the clown costumes Plant has sported over the years...remember the Now and Zen cover? The Honeydrippers? All the ethnic looks he's tried to pull off?

The Internet: Imagine Dragons are the worst band in the world.

Greta Van Fleet: Hold my decaf soy latte.

I just saw GVF's SNL performance. Not since the Red Hot Chili Peppers debacle when John Frusciante was smacked out of his mind have I seen such a misfire. At least RHCP had heroin abuse for an excuse. What's GFV's excuse?

That was an all-around disaster. They looked horrible. They sounded horrible. They acted/posed horrible.

I have never understood the Robert Plant comparisons. The singer sounds more like Rik Emmett from Triumph. He squeaks. And he doesn't have the size and stature of Robert Plant. When Robert strode on stage you were in awe of him. This guy looks like OJ prosecutor Marcia Clarke.

As others above have already noted the band's movements are forced and awkward. Just as Kingdome Clone were. Maybe they can improve? But they need to rethink their approach.

Look, a lot of good people here seem to like them and think they represent some hope for rock and roll, so more power to you and we'll just agree to disagree on GVF.

I prefer the Black Angels, Graveyard, Uncle Acid & the Dead Beats, Thee Oh Sees, Fuzz, the Tedeschi-Trucks Band, Radiohead, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, St. Vincent to name a few among the current crop of bands.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

The Internet: Imagine Dragons are the worst band in the world.

Greta Van Fleet: Hold my decaf soy latte.

I just saw GVF's SNL performance. Not since the Red Hot Chili Peppers debacle when John Frusciante was smacked out of his mind have I seen such a misfire. At least RHCP had heroin abuse for an excuse. What's GFV's excuse?

That was an all-around disaster. They looked horrible. They sounded horrible. They acted/posed horrible.

I have never understood the Robert Plant comparisons. The singer sounds more like Rik Emmett from Triumph. He squeaks. And he doesn't have the size and stature of Robert Plant. When Robert strode on stage you were in awe of him. This guy looks like OJ prosecutor Marcia Clarke.

As others above have already noted the band's movements are forced and awkward. Just as Kingdome Clone were. Maybe they can improve? But they need to rethink their approach.

Look, a lot of good people here seem to like them and think they represent some hope for rock and roll, so more power to you and we'll just agree to disagree on GVF.

I prefer the Black Angels, Graveyard, Uncle Acid & the Dead Beats, Thee Oh Sees, Fuzz, the Tedeschi-Trucks Band, Radiohead, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, St. Paul & the Broken Bones, St. Vincent to name a few among the current crop of bands.

Generally Greta Van Fleet are pretty excellent live you can see in the clip before they perform at SNL how nervous they look so a lot of it is nervousness, and about Josh's vocals I've said this many times before but he needs a vocal coach since the later half of this past year he's sounded pretty shity but compare it to how he sounded a year ago and there's no comparison. By the way I too thought the SNL performance was shit but if they move forward and take the right steps there's still a great future ahead of them.

5 hours ago, Brigante said:

There's a vast difference between those who use their influences and those who just replicate them.
Buckley and Greta are perfect examples, respectively. 

Indeed. Jane's Addiction and Kingdome Come is another example, respectively.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 8:54 AM, paplbojo said:

One of their more popular songs has an ending, the final five seconds, that is plucked right from the end of In My Time of Dying. Identical. It's all just a little too much.

Their song "When the Curtain Falls" has an identical guitar lick to "In the Evening", but you know, that just makes me like the song more. It's a totally different song in every other way. 

And, they did win a Grammy, so there's that 🙂

I had to admit I was angry GVF won a Grammy when we all know Rival Sons should have won a Grammy for Great Western Valkyrie! We all know the Grammys are a farce...

Going back to the GVF show I went to in 2017, they had a kick ass opening act called Goodbye June. I just found out Goodbye June is going to be the opening act for ZZ Top on a  limited tour. I would definitely go to that if they were going to do any shows remotely near me, but they are not 😢

I just listened to Rush's debut album for the first time in years and one thing that stood out to me was how for a blues riff based rock band debut,  with super high range vocals, they just utterly destroy GVF. Is there such a dearth of current bands that play that style and can actually play their instruments well that results in GVF holding the title now? I'm out of touch with who are really worth hearing so can someone recommend maybe 5 bands that are better than GVF? Because I find them to be very mediocre, and riding a lucky wave of popularity because of all the comparisons to Zep, which sounds shallow to me. Plus the singer has very little of the raw bluesy power, and vocal character that Plant had. He sounds much more like a poor man's Geddy Lee or Rik Emmett.

58 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I just listened to Rush's debut album for the first time in years and one thing that stood out to me was how for a blues riff based rock band debut,  with super high range vocals, they just utterly destroy GVF. Is there such a dearth of current bands that play that style and can actually play their instruments well that results in GVF holding the title now? I'm out of touch with who are really worth hearing so can someone recommend maybe 5 bands that are better than GVF? Because I find them to be very mediocre, and riding a lucky wave of popularity because of all the comparisons to Zep, which sounds shallow to me. Plus the singer has very little of the raw bluesy power, and vocal character that Plant had. He sounds much more like a poor man's Geddy Lee or Rik Emmett.

I don’t think I can name 5. But the Black Angels are great 

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Is there such a dearth of current bands that play that style and can actually play their instruments well that results in GVF holding the title now?

None as photogenic as these guys.

Let's be honest, there are thousands of videos on YouTube of kids playing classic rock and absolutely nailing it. The problem is that nobody under the age of 45 is willing to pay to see them live. There's no market for "dad rock" other than novelty. Hell, I've been secretly writing blues/southern rock songs as a hobbyist musician for years. I've got a couple hundred tracks now that are in the same vein as the classic rock era. But, you know what'll happen if I get a band together and start promoting it? "What the hell? These guys are just copying Skynyrd, man! Why don't they make original music and stop imitating my dad's favorite bands!" This is why GVF, although not the best in the songwriting department, are still vital to keeping that spirit alive. Maybe their success will ignite a spark that revives the old power chord gospel, ushering in a new era of rock music. That is if the fanbase will unlock the fucking gates and allow it to happen.

"I'm angry because there's no music like when I was a kid. Hey, this band's playing music like when I was a kid, I hate it. How dare they!" - Blows my mind.

Edited by gibsonfan159

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

None as photogenic as these guys.

Let's be honest, there are thousands of videos on YouTube of kids playing classic rock and absolutely nailing it. The problem is that nobody under the age of 45 is willing to pay to see them live. There's no market for "dad rock" other than novelty. Hell, I've been secretly writing blues/southern rock songs as a hobbyist musician for years. I've got a couple hundred tracks now that are in the same vein as the classic rock era. But, you know what'll happen if I get a band together and start promoting it? "What the hell? These guys are just copying Skynyrd, man! Why don't they make original music and stop imitating my dad's favorite bands!" This is why GVF, although not the best in the songwriting department, are still vital to keeping that spirit alive. Maybe their success will ignite a spark that revives the old power chord gospel, ushering in a new era of rock music. That is if the fanbase will unlock the fucking gates and allow it to happen.

"I'm angry because there's no music like when I was a kid. Hey, this band's playing music like when I was a kid, I hate it. How dare they!" - Blows my mind.

Your argument is facetious.

People that hate GVF don't hate them because they sound like old bands. They hate them because they suck. Their songs are weak and the singer has no soul or charisma...he just screeches like an angry hobbit.

St. Paul & the Broken Bones, Black Angels, The Tedeschi-Trucks Band, Graveyard, Low, Thee Oh Sees, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Fuzz, Mazzy Star...all of these bands play their own instruments and are influenced by classic bands of yore. But they bring a little of their own personality and contemporary vibe so that they come off as something more than the sum of their influences. Also, every one of these bands write better songs than GVF and has a better singer than GVF.

27 minutes ago, Strider said:

and are influenced by classic bands of yore.

"Influenced by" isn't what people are yearning for. It's the sound they want back. And that's at least one thing GVF have right.  The "put your own spin on it" is the perfect example of why the genre can't be revived. Nobody can get the go-ahead to just play straight up rock and roll. It's gotta be "similar but different" to satisfy the hipster crowd. Screw that.

32 minutes ago, Strider said:

People that hate GVF don't hate them because they sound like old bands. They hate them because they suck. Their songs are weak and the singer has no soul or charisma...he just screeches like an angry hobbit.

I agree they're pretty low grade musically, but if you've missed the endless onslaught of "stop copying classic rock" that's plagued this band then I don't know what hole you've been living in. 

17 hours ago, Strider said:

Your argument is facetious.

St. Paul & the Broken Bones, Black Angels, The Tedeschi-Trucks Band, Graveyard, Low, Thee Oh Sees, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Fuzz, Mazzy Star...all of these bands play their own instruments and are influenced by classic bands of yore. But they bring a little of their own personality and contemporary vibe so that they come off as something more than the sum of their influences. Also, every one of these bands write better songs than GVF and has a better singer than GVF.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out. I like Tedeschi Trucks...they have soul and that's what a lot of bands miss, but Zep had in spades .