Greta Van Fleet

mesamay2003

On 7/24/2018 at 7:25 PM, SuperDave said:

Will definitely check out their performance on JF.  Even cooler as I'll be seeing them this Sunday at Panorama in NYC.

Cool. It’ll be interesting to hear from you how much the set has changed since you saw them in May! 

4 hours ago, Walter said:

Cool. It’ll be interesting to hear from you how much the set has changed since you saw them in May! 

We shall see.  It won't be a full set as it's a festival and they're not a headliner. According to the lineup times they get 50 minutes.  They go on at 4:35 pm on Panorama Stage (Main) just before David Byrne.  The latter gets one hour, so no complaints.  Only the headline for this day, The Killers get 90 minutes.

I was at Panorama yesterday and was so bummed out when I found this out.  I was really looking forward to seeing them here.  Glad I saw them in NJ a few months ago.  They say they will make it up to NYC fans later this year.  Let's hope and see what happens.  I had a GVF tee on for the show and I was getting a lot of comments from other fans and mostly condolences.  Saw quite a few fans with GVF tees.  I did enjoy David Byrne and XX yesterday, so not a total loss.  Even better being in the VIP section.

On 7/27/2018 at 9:23 PM, Walter said:

Really enjoyed the performance. The voice is still a little over the top, but the music is shinning through, for me.

If the general public's perception is, that Led Zeppelin is summed up by the screaming and screeching found in "Communication Breakdown" and "Immigrant Song," then I can see how the public must think that GVF is "The Next Led Zeppelin!!!" But Led Zeppelin is so much more than what two of their MOST COMMERCIAL hits bring.

GVF, I grew up with Led Zeppelin, I knew Led Zeppelin — Led Zeppelin was my musical companion. GVF, you are no Led Zeppelin.

13 hours ago, The Rover said:
If the general public's perception is, that Led Zeppelin is summed up by the screaming and screeching found in "Communication Breakdown" and "Immigrant Song," then I can see how the public must think that GVF is "The Next Led Zeppelin!!!" But Led Zeppelin is so much more than what two of their MOST COMMERCIAL hits bring.

GVF, I grew up with Led Zeppelin, I knew Led Zeppelin — Led Zeppelin was my musical companion. GVF, you are no Led Zeppelin.

I agree. I'm not saying it to knock them as no one else is truly anything like Led Zeppelin, but they are nowhere near the comprehensive style of Led Zeppelin. I truly hear more ACDC and other 70's bands than Led Zeppelin in their music. The feel, the styles and the approaches are all quite different from Led Zeppelin for the most part. Greta is pretty much a straight forward rock band with very little influence from any styles outside of the blues.  I obviously don't think it's Greta. They didn't market themselves as the next LZ. I think it's more so the media and everyone else who hears a guy sound like Robert Plant in a song or two, sees them dressing like their from the 60's and then brands a band with headlines such as "Are ________ the next led zeppelin?" How many times has that happened? Wolfmother comes to mind after their first album. Good album, actually I love the album but still nothing like Led Zeppelin. I actually think that musically their first album was more like Zeppelin than anything I've heard from Greta outside of one of their covers of a zeppelin song. Although I think that technically speaking the guitarist for Greta is a better player than Andrew from Wolfmother.

Didn't Robert Plant recently say something along the lines that he doesn't think most of their fans actually understand Led Zeppelin's music? I definitely agree with that when everyone talks about how much a band like GVF sounds just like Led Zeppelin.

Edited by nemophilist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Makes my blood boil this. They are degrading our heroes.

It's brought to you by the same people -- Team Rock/Classic Rock -- who falsely advertised Jimmy Page as a co-headliner with Jeff Beck for an awards show in Tokyo. After blowing God knows how much cash on this self-congratulatory bash, Team Rock conveniently dissolved and sold Classic Rock magazine back to its original owners, Future PLC. Screw Classic Rock magazine!