Why RP frustrates me.

Well I am prejudiced enormously by being a guitar player and so on, and having unique killer, unique, and exotic guitar

parts played by Jimmy Page. There are other styles obviously played with great impact. In the end, however, of course

songwriting and composing end up far more important than guitar trickery. Jimi Hendrix, Dave Gilmour, even EVH, had 

much more to offer than just fantastic lead guitar. ......... Back to Robert, I think it's great that he has so many fans still

loyal to him. But particularly since 2000 or so, Robert is almost radioactive to any dominant or outfront guitar parts, and

that would be alright if perhaps interesting keys/synth parts would take up the slack. But that's not really the case. It's not

just me, many have said Robert is pretty much dictating the sections/parts of most of the songs, that's why some of the

parts sound so undeveloped. Whatever, I really like Lucifer Rising and DWII, not many fans, but regardless I think Robert

still sounds great.

It is frustrating that during the promotional interviews for celebration day, page was saying that he thought they would continue playing....whether a project or whatever page and jones thought. Yet plant continues to play alot of led zeppelin on solo tours....when youd think he would want to revisit so many of his own songs.

i don't understand. Maybe they are playing the media...yet as a fan your definitely left hanging on

On 8/1/2017 at 6:02 PM, Mithril46 said:

Well I am prejudiced enormously by being a guitar player and so on, and having unique killer, unique, and exotic guitar

parts played by Jimmy Page. There are other styles obviously played with great impact. In the end, however, of course

songwriting and composing end up far more important than guitar trickery. Jimi Hendrix, Dave Gilmour, even EVH, had 

much more to offer than just fantastic lead guitar. ......... Back to Robert, I think it's great that he has so many fans still

loyal to him. But particularly since 2000 or so, Robert is almost radioactive to any dominant or outfront guitar parts, and

that would be alright if perhaps interesting keys/synth parts would take up the slack. But that's not really the case. It's not

just me, many have said Robert is pretty much dictating the sections/parts of most of the songs, that's why some of the

parts sound so undeveloped. Whatever, I really like Lucifer Rising and DWII, not many fans, but regardless I think Robert

still sounds great.

Wow. I can't think of the last time I ever agreed more with a comment on the internet. Realizing this thread is about Robert, I would still say to everybody wondering why Jimmy won't do more, and hasn't: I don't get the sense that a lot of people really listened much to DW II or the Soundtracks album, things he did do that were great, or the surprisingly great Coverdale-Page album for that matter -- even though, as pointed out on the Coverdale-Page man thread, C-P went platinum here in the US -- Manic Nirvana and Fate of Nations did not. I don't think a lot of people realize that, especially in the UK. I've certainly been wrong more times than I care to think about, but that's just my sense of things.  

On 02/08/2017 at 7:02 AM, Mithril46 said:

Back to Robert, I think it's great that he has so many fans still

still sounds great.

I think it's safe to say that Plant is not a great songwriter in the traditional sense of sitting down with a guitar and composing a tune, but he's good at capturing a mood or latching onto a riff and twisting it into something unique.

So, to an extent, I agree that when he's got too much autonomy over things, the music can suffer.

That's why I think Raising Sand was so good, because I don't think he would have challenged T-Bone Burnett and Krauss too much, because he respected their talent and was in their musical "world".

The result - probably one of Plan'ts best and widely praised albums of his post-Zeppelin career.

With the SSS, he's head bummer and will have the final say on things.

Another example of him having too much control and compromising things is WIC - his choice of producer, live in the studio style approach, etc.

So, yeah, I think Robert could benefit from a strong right-hand man in the songwriting and production process.

13 hours ago, Mercurious said:

Wow. I can't think of the last time I ever agreed more with a comment on the internet. Realizing this thread is about Robert, I would still say to everybody wondering why Jimmy won't do more, and hasn't: I don't get the sense that a lot of people really listened much to DW II or the Soundtracks album, things he did do that were great, or the surprisingly great Coverdale-Page album for that matter -- even though, as pointed out on the Coverdale-Page man thread, C-P went platinum here in the US -- Manic Nirvana and Fate of Nations did not. I don't think a lot of people realize that, especially in the UK. I've certainly been wrong more times than I care to think about, but that's just my sense of things.  

An album not going platinum doesn't mean it's any less a great album. Think of how many pop albums go multi platinum and you find awful. It's just representational of sales. FON was an absolutely brilliant album IMO. 

On 8/1/2017 at 6:02 PM, Mithril46 said:

still sounds great.

Well said, I also play guitar so am a bit prejudiced to what i like as well, I don't care for anything he has done on his own, the earlier stuff is better, where it sounds like watered down Zep, but still not very good to me, just my opinion.

Archived