After 3/21/75. . Whats next??

Bozoso73

1 hour ago, Strider said:

It's been much discussed for years. It is one of my Holy Grails.

Joe Boyd's book and at least two other books have mentioned it. September 4, 1970. Fairport Convention was doing a weeklong residency at the Troubadour club in West Hollywood. They were recording multitracks which would eventually be used for the live album "House Full". 

Led Zeppelin was playing the Forum, from which audience tapes emerged to form the basis of two famous bootlegs..."Live at the LA Forum" and "Live on Blueberry Hill". After Led Zeppelin finished their concert sometime around 11pm or so, they zoomed up to Santa Monica Blvd. in their limos to the Troubadour to catch the end of Fairport Convention's show. Then, they joined forces for the encore.

Multiple people who were there confirm that the multitrack recorders were rolling for the encore jam. The whereabouts of the tapes are in dispute.

Is there a known setlist??

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Joe Boyd's book and at least two other books have mentioned it. September 4, 1970. Fairport Convention was doing a weeklong residency at the Troubadour club in West Hollywood. They were recording multitracks which would eventually be used for the live album "House Full". 

Led Zeppelin was playing the Forum, from which audience tapes emerged to form the basis of two famous bootlegs..."Live at the LA Forum" and "Live on Blueberry Hill". After Led Zeppelin finished their concert sometime around 11pm or so, they zoomed up to Santa Monica Blvd. in their limos to the Troubadour to catch the end of Fairport Convention's show. Then, they joined forces for the encore.

Multiple people who were there confirm that the multitrack recorders were rolling for the encore jam. The whereabouts of the tapes are in dispute.

Thanks! Yeah, after I posted my prior comment I googled it and it came up straightaway. Would be epic to hear it.

20 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

On the back cover of the Fairport Live album from that show it says that Led Zeppelin stopped by to "destroy" a few numbers.  HA !  That Fairport album is amazing, except it was from after Sandy Denny left the band, so it is missing her amazing vocals, which were always my favorite thing about Fairport.  Still that Fairport live album "House Full" is excellent.  

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:47 AM, duckman said:

EV's new strategy is to launch new SB titles as multi disc De-Luxe editions like the three versions of Seattle aimed at the die hards. Collectors have to choose between really expensive and outrageously expensive boxed sets. EV's return on investment is secured this way. 1OOO punters worldwide willing to spend 350 USD, 300 to 500 high heeled collectors willing cough up 500 USD...Bingo. Tough, but as a business strategy it's the only way to deal with a declining market for silvers and the reality of downloads 

The 4CD plain Jane editions will follow in a few months time and they will be marginally more expensive than the Eelgrass and Scorpio UK copy cats.

Of course this new strategy can only survive if the quality of the source material remains top notch...Complete SB/ AUD combo's like Long Beach 3/12, Osaka 9/28 will certainly wet our appetite. 

I was thinking this as well.  A parallel/private market has probably always been part of their strategy, before a general/public release, but it will become much more central now.  This is why (along with the fact that they didn't release 3-21 last), I now suspect they have the '75 Forum shows:  they will eventually have a monster LA release, catering to rich fans who love the whole Zep-in-LA mystique (which probably describes a number of ordinary fans as well).

35 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

To the OP's question (what comes next as opposed to what we want to come next), I'd bet on either Greensboro '77 or the 1st San Diego '75.

I'd be happy with either of those!  Greensboro would have my vote since we don't have anything for it.

3 hours ago, duckman said:

count me in on that one...high time for a corking Japan 71 SB.

1975 was a good year, but 71 is superior 

Word! 

Empress Valley, if you're reading this. I for one will buy your release of Sept 28 1971 SBD. Just please don't make it a $400 combo with the AUD only. A 3 disc set, priced realistically, please. 

22 hours ago, Strider said:

Cool story.  Does anyone know any songs that were played?

On 8/5/2017 at 11:48 AM, ZepHead315 said:

What happened with this, btw? I know the sample came out months ago and there seems to be no update on it. I know EVSD doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation, but it seems odd for them to tease this out and then have nothing afterwards.

Much like the noise solo from 6/23/77 being released on its own.

16 hours ago, Walter said:

Cool story.  Does anyone know any songs that were played?

Much like the noise solo from 6/23/77 being released on its own.

Wasn't that leaked by an ex showco employee or something? Jimmy had given it to him for the timing of the laser pyramid at Knebworth I think?

4 hours ago, tom kid said:

Wasn't that leaked by an ex showco employee or something? Jimmy had given it to him for the timing of the laser pyramid at Knebworth I think?

I think you are correct, tom kid. I do remember hearing that story as well.

10 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Or the June 11 '77 SBD snippet. I wonder what the hell happened to the rest of that soundboard recording...

Yes. With the full 7th show out there, the 11th must be somewhere as well.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, tmtomh said:

The one indication that makes me think they might not have the entire 9-28 board, though, is that their recent warning to people about not sharing 3-21 online makes mention of Blueberry Hill and 3-12-75 releases coming up.

This is the second reference I've see to EV requesting this not be shared. Did they seriously ask that no one torrent the 3/21/75 show?

The way I see it, the release of 3/21/75, a "top of the wish list"-level show, means one of two things:

1.  They're almost out of ho-hum/boring/middle-of-the-road '75 & '77 shows to release, and so we can expect most subsequent releases to be ones we've been wishing for for a long time, or;

2.  They sensed that we were getting jaded with their recent releases, and so they put this one out in an effort to renew faith in and enthusiasm for the "revolution".

I obviously hope it's the first one, and I don't think that's an unreasonable possibility.  Let's look at what's left to release for '75 & '77:

1975:

Warm-up shows: 1/11 & 1/12

First Leg: 1/18 thru 2/8 -- 14 shows, of which Minneapolis and the three Chicago shows would be by far the most interesting from my perspective. 

Second Leg: 2/27 Houston, 3/10 San Diego, 3/12 Long Beach, 3/24, 25 & 27 Los Angeles -- all of these would be great to have (I'd rank 3/24 last), the L.A. ones mostly for the possibility of doing a matrix with the Millard recordings.

Earls Court: 5/17, 18 & 23 -- all of these would be great to have

25 shows remaining, 17 of which I imagine would be at least somewhat highly sought-after.

1977:

First Leg: everything but 4/27 Cleveland -- 16 shows, includes 4/10 Chicago, 4/28 Cleveland, 4/30 Pontiac, which we know were excellent, as well as 5 currently unreleased shows.

Second Leg: 5/18 Birmingham, 5/19 Baton Rouge, 5/31 Greensboro, 6/3 Tampa, 6/8, 10, 11, 13 & 14 New York, 6/19 San Diego & 6/21-23 & 25-27 Los Angeles

Third Leg: 7/20 Tempe & 7/23-24 Oakland

35 shows remaining, 23 of which I imagine would be at least somewhat highly sought-after.

So, by my count, 40 of the 60 remaining '75 & '77 shows to be released on soundboard would be releases that would garner a fair bit of excitement.  So even if the second possibility I listed at the top is closer to the truth, we should be able to expect about 66% of future soundboard releases to be fairly exciting ones.  This is good news for us all :hurrah:

4 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

This is good news for us all :hurrah:

Only for those that will live to see it all. For that many releases, over how many decades will EV stretch it out over?

cmon people, I'm gettin' older by the minute!

7 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

The way I see it, the release of 3/21/75, a "top of the wish list"-level show, means one of two things:

1.  They're almost out of ho-hum/boring/middle-of-the-road '75 & '77 shows to release, and so we can expect most subsequent releases to be ones we've been wishing for for a long time, or;

2.  They sensed that we were getting jaded with their recent releases, and so they put this one out in an effort to renew faith in and enthusiasm for the "revolution".

I obviously hope it's the first one, and I don't think that's an unreasonable possibility.  Let's look at what's left to release for '75 & '77:

1975:

Warm-up shows: 1/11 & 1/12

First Leg: 1/18 thru 2/8 -- 14 shows, of which Minneapolis and the three Chicago shows would be by far the most interesting from my perspective. 

Second Leg: 2/27 Houston, 3/10 San Diego, 3/12 Long Beach, 3/24, 25 & 27 Los Angeles -- all of these would be great to have (I'd rank 3/24 last), the L.A. ones mostly for the possibility of doing a matrix with the Millard recordings.

Earls Court: 5/17, 18 & 23 -- all of these would be great to have

25 shows remaining, 17 of which I imagine would be at least somewhat highly sought-after.

1977:

First Leg: everything but 4/27 Cleveland -- 16 shows, includes 4/10 Chicago, 4/28 Cleveland, 4/30 Pontiac, which we know were excellent, as well as 5 currently unreleased shows.

Second Leg: 5/18 Birmingham, 5/19 Baton Rouge, 5/31 Greensboro, 6/3 Tampa, 6/8, 10, 11, 13 & 14 New York, 6/19 San Diego & 6/21-23 & 25-27 Los Angeles

Third Leg: 7/20 Tempe & 7/23-24 Oakland

35 shows remaining, 23 of which I imagine would be at least somewhat highly sought-after.

So, by my count, 40 of the 60 remaining '75 & '77 shows to be released on soundboard would be releases that would garner a fair bit of excitement.  So even if the second possibility I listed at the top is closer to the truth, we should be able to expect about 66% of future soundboard releases to be fairly exciting ones.  This is good news for us all :hurrah:

It's #2.

Is there a pattern for releases? Sorry, I am not familiar with what EV historically does in terms of frequency and good/bad releases.

What can we expect based on their track record?

And what, if anything, is actually know about what SB's are on their shelf? Does anyone associated with whoever it is that hold the physical tapes on a shelf somewhere ever divulge any info??

I'd also be interested in an explanation of why they would hold onto a "Holy Grail" kind of tape if they do indeed have one or more. Surely the support base grows slimmer as time passes. If they had an LA '77 board for example, what would the logic be in not releasing it already???

I know this has been covered a lot in here, but it all seems speculative and opinions vary wildly. Is there anything concrete is what I'm getting at.

I have an idea for EV: rather than releasing new shows packaged with an "upgrade" of a previously released show, release two new ones, packaged together, but make it one great one and one not-so-great one.  For example, 3/12/75 & 1/29/75, or 6/22/77 & 4/6/77. 

That way, they would get the crappy shows off of their hands, and get more $ for them than they would if they released them on their own, and we get more great shows sooner.  If my numbers from yesterday were correct that they have 40 good/great shows left and 20 "meh" shows left, then halfway through we'd be done with having to buy a crap show with a great show and there'd only be great ones left.

Just a thought...

15 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I have an idea for EV: rather than releasing new shows packaged with an "upgrade" of a previously released show, release two new ones, packaged together, but make it one great one and one not-so-great one.  For example, 3/12/75 & 1/29/75, or 6/22/77 & 4/6/77. 

That way, they would get the crappy shows off of their hands, and get more $ for them than they would if they released them on their own, and we get more great shows sooner.  If my numbers from yesterday were correct that they have 40 good/great shows left and 20 "meh" shows left, then halfway through we'd be done with having to buy a crap show with a great show and there'd only be great ones left.

Just a thought...

Because that would tighten their margins heavily.

They can release all seperately and the same die hards would buy each.

Archived