Robert Plant's Wedding Gift to Phil Collins Up for Auction

SteveAJones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Metropolitan-pre-owned-by-Phil-Collins-Robert-Plant-/182714372898#viTabs_0

A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO BID FOR THIS SPECIAL, APPRECIATING INVESTMENT. AN ICONIC CLASSIC CAR WITH HIGH PROFILE PROVENANCE, GUARANTEED TO TURN HEADS WHERE EVER IT GOES

You are bidding for the 1958 Austin Metropolitan previously owned by Phil Collins and briefly by Robert Plant, including Phil Collins signed Reg document, Robert Plant's Gift Card, and Photo of Phil with car, also photos previous to restoration .   

I would be happy for any bidder to inspect the car before bidding, it can be seen in Herne Bay, Kent by appointment, you can email me through Ebay.

THE PHOTOS ON THIS ADD ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED, MISUSE WILL RESULT IN PROSECUTION

HISTORY OF MY OWNERSHIP OF THE CAR

I purchased the car in1991, the car was offered to me by the Metropolitan Owners Club secretary as he had been contacted by Phil Collins to sell the car, so he registered the car to secure it, so he is the previous owner to me in the Reg document, although only a short time.  I was informed that he decided he would not keep the car and offered it to me, we agreed a sale.

I collected the car from Phil Collins home in, Billinghurst, Sussex, I have a photo loading the car on the trailer, with the car came a photo of Phil with the car, his signed registration document (log book),and the wedding gift card warning Phil not to "take corners too fast" hand written by Robert Plant.

The car was purchased by Robert Plant in 1984 to present as a gift to celebrate the wedding of Phil Collins and Jill Tavelman in August 1984. Robert Plant did not register the car, it was presented to congratulate them on their Wedding an Anglo - American Colaberation.  The card is hand written, signed and is included in the sale.

Phil Collins used the car until it had clutch problems, approx 1989, it was then stored in his barn. With the car comes the last M.O.T before it was put into store.

I transported the car to a restoration garage in Bulphan, Essex to be examined and to estimate restoration costs.   It was reported back that the car needed fairly minor work to repair some rot on bodywork (there are some Pic’s of the car stripped down) some welding to inner wings, doors etc, on completion it had a new paint job,  but it came with a very good report mechanicaly.  The steering was very good with little or no play, suspension was good, electrics good, engine very good, gearbox good, brakes needed replacing, master and slave cylinders, also clutch master and slave cylinder change.

My friend called me over to show me evidence that car was in better mechanical condition than we first thought, in fact he was convinced the millage shown on the clock 29,422 could be accurate, although we had no proof other than it’s condition and a valid M.O.T.

At some time in it’s previous life it has had a gearbox change to a four speed floor change box, we think it could be a Riley gearbox, I believe this was a common modification as the original column change could be trouble, it does make the car easier to drive and livelier in performance, also the radiator has been changed, it’s a Ford rad we believe, it works well no overheating.

The car was returned to me with fresh M.O.T at 29,422mls ready to be cosmetically  finished i.e. interior, chrome, carpets engine bay, new water pump etc, at this time as I already had another Met, so the finishing went on hold and put into dry storage, I completed the chroming  which also went into storage.    Like so many projects it all became out of sight out of mind and went on for many years with nothing happening!  Until I retired and had more time to finish the car.

CONDITION AT TIME OF SALE

The car is very good and drives very well considering its age and narrow wheel base, cross ply tyres, drum brakes etc.

BODYWORK

The general body work is very good but not concourse, considering this paintwork was done 25 years ago and has not been touched since, however there are a few small bubbles on top back of front wings, also nearside top of boot rear, all I can report is that these small areas are minor and hardly noticeable and have not changed in many years.

There has been some welding on offside inner wing in boot to repair small hole, in a non structural area.

Underneath has not been undersealed I decided to leave it on show, as there is some light surface rust as expected, floor and chassis are all sound with no rot.

ENGINE & GEARBOX

Engine is good, not too noisy, no smoke, starts well, idles well, plenty of pull uphills, gear change good, fairly quiet, clutch good, back axel good, all we have done is change plugs, points, water pump, otherwise it’s as it was, all runs well, drops odd spot of oil as they always did even when new.

INTERIOR 

The interior was restored by me and I think it’s a fair job, I made door cards, kick panels, carpets, upholstery was a professional job, dashboard is good as it was black, not been repainted, as original, radio works, cigarette lighter works, glove box locks, heater works, wipers/washers all work, the roof lining has been replaced, not great but clean and tidy, and that was done by a professional ! 

SUSPENSION, STEERING, BRAKES AND TYRES

All good, one of the weakest parts of the Metropolitan was the worm and peg steering giving the car an American feel, I’m happy to report the the steering is in very good condition with no signs of wear, really positive.

Suspension is good, shocks work well, no problems.

Brakes are all drum, they work well, but do need to be regularly used, or cylinders can cease over winter if not used, but work well, also hand brake good.

The tyres are OK but they are old so I would recommend a new set, the white walls are inserts.

ELECTRICS

All work, indicator lights are not amber, they flash the side light at front, brake light at rear, this is as original so they are allowed! tell the officer when he pull’s you up!    

Radio is as original valve, takes a while to warm up, only plays rock n’ roll or Phil Collins music (joke). It’s had a retro fit aireal as original.

All lights work, horns work sometimes, indicators work.

SUMMARY

This car is taxed, insured, it's M.O.T exempt ,and is stored in a heated garage, used for the occasional car show in the Kent area.   There are no seat belts, as original!   I would like to clarify that it has not had a full restoration, and is not concours, although it is in excellent sound condition.

At this time the clock reads 29,718 miles, I do not know if this mileage is genuine, but I and people that have worked on the car have not altered this reading,(see M.O.T.'s) and the opinion of the experts that have inspected the car say

it's probably correct.  

I'm happy to answer any questions on Ebay email, if you should require and extra more detailed photographs, please email me via Ebay, if you would like to inspect the car it is available by appointment.   Thank you for looking at my auction. Thanks and Happy Bidding. S. McGee

4 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

A multi-millionaire selling a wedding gift from Robert Plant!

Oh dear...

You would rather it had been left to rot in PC's barn. Maybe Phil was selling the property the barn was on. Have you never sold something that was gifted to you, I have especially gifts I have had no use for, not to my taste etc. 

7 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Not anyone of any musical value don't worry.

Seems like someone Robert took a lot of solace being friends with though.

Not anymore, however back in the 1970's and early 80's his work with Genesis and his drumming were quite impressive.

On 8/14/2017 at 3:57 AM, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Not anyone of any musical value don't worry.

Seems like someone Robert took a lot of solace being friends with though.

Having record sales in excess of 100 million copies, I would say a few people would disagree.

Archived