Robert Plant Announces New ‘Carry Fire’ LP, Debuts ‘The May Queen’ Single

Posted on Roberts face book page an hour ago:

Australia! A third and final Sydney shows has just been announced and we heard you Adelaide – we’re coming! Tickets are selling fast for shows in Melbourne and Perth so don’t miss out!

Fri 23rd March 2018 - State Theatre, Sydney 
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/event/13005357D219B62B
Sun 1st & Mon 2nd April - Palais Theatre, Melbourne
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/artist/735867
Thu 5th April 2018 - Thebarton Theatre, Adelaide
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/event/1300537EACE68B02
Sun 8th April - Riverside Theatre, PCEC
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=ROBERTPL18

FB_IMG_1512598646847.jpg

• Administrators

Review: Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters,
Sheffield City Hall, United Kingdom

6th December 2017. Photo by Glenn Ashley.
by Andrew Foley

image.jpg

Robert Plant is a content and happy man. That’s obvious. And doing precisely what he wants, why shouldn’t he be?

“It’s nice to be back in this room,” he said. “I’m scared of this room,” maybe recalling an ill-fated gig in the mid 1970s when his voice gave way to illness.

To Plant, the only distinctions in music are between good and bad. His songs have Celtic roots, Arabic influences, North African rhythms, Indian textures and Delta emotion. Always the Delta.

He opened with New World from latest album Carry Fire. A new world colliding with old ones, in a galaxy where time and space are mere abstracts.

That’s The Way (from the third album) spirited out of Rainbow (from the penultimate one), with presentations merging flawlessly.

‘Similar but different’ would seem to be the company motto. An exercise in tribute nostalgia, this certainly ain’t.

Seth Lakeman joined the band for The May Queen, before adding violin to Gallows Pole. He transformed a traditional classic into an undiscovered jewel dredged from a Cajun swamp.

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You was a soaring stand out. Almost 50 years old for Plant, this could have been the song’s first airing. Lone voice and guitar for long passages, the delivery was spine tingling.

The Space Shifters are part of Plant’s furniture now, high quality musicians who give no quarter and expect none in return.

String masters Justin Adams and Skin Tyson are like fluid knights on a chessboard, defending their king at all costs and attacking when the time is right.

So the inevitable question for Plant remains. Will Led Zeppelin ever get back together?

The answer is a hammer-blow, god-like negative. On this showing, it’s a case of what is... and what what should never be.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/review-robert-plant-and-the-sensational-space-shifters-sheffield-city-hall-1-8898330

2 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Review: Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters,
Sheffield City Hall, United Kingdom

6th December 2017. Photo by Glenn Ashley.
by Andrew Foley

image.jpg

Robert Plant is a content and happy man. That’s obvious. And doing precisely what he wants, why shouldn’t he be?

“It’s nice to be back in this room,” he said. “I’m scared of this room,” maybe recalling an ill-fated gig in the mid 1970s when his voice gave way to illness.

To Plant, the only distinctions in music are between good and bad. His songs have Celtic roots, Arabic influences, North African rhythms, Indian textures and Delta emotion. Always the Delta.

He opened with New World from latest album Carry Fire. A new world colliding with old ones, in a galaxy where time and space are mere abstracts.

That’s The Way (from the third album) spirited out of Rainbow (from the penultimate one), with presentations merging flawlessly.

‘Similar but different’ would seem to be the company motto. An exercise in tribute nostalgia, this certainly ain’t.

Seth Lakeman joined the band for The May Queen, before adding violin to Gallows Pole. He transformed a traditional classic into an undiscovered jewel dredged from a Cajun swamp.

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You was a soaring stand out. Almost 50 years old for Plant, this could have been the song’s first airing. Lone voice and guitar for long passages, the delivery was spine tingling.

The Space Shifters are part of Plant’s furniture now, high quality musicians who give no quarter and expect none in return.

String masters Justin Adams and Skin Tyson are like fluid knights on a chessboard, defending their king at all costs and attacking when the time is right.

So the inevitable question for Plant remains. Will Led Zeppelin ever get back together?

The answer is a hammer-blow, god-like negative. On this showing, it’s a case of what is... and what what should never be.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/review-robert-plant-and-the-sensational-space-shifters-sheffield-city-hall-1-8898330

I was there and fortunate to be able to meet Robert after the show courtesy of a very dear friend.

36 minutes ago, ledded1 said:

I was there and fortunate to be able to meet Robert after the show courtesy of a very dear friend.

I was there too, and although not as fortunate as ledded1 to meet Mr Plant, I was fortunate to be sat on the very front row. Managed to obtain a rather nice souvenir and some rather nice pics! 

20171206_235509.jpg

20171207_173021.jpg

Nice one Pilot, by the looks of your pics I was just along from you on the far right hand side, not the best view of the shows I have been to so far but good to be there and even better to go to the after show do. 

On 08/12/2017 at 1:01 AM, ledded1 said:

Nice one Pilot, by the looks of your pics I was just along from you on the far right hand side, not the best view of the shows I have been to so far but good to be there and even better to go to the after show do. 

Me here (courtesy of YouTube) . Shame I missed you... I would have enjoyed the after show bash too!! ;)

RP Sheff_edited-1.jpg

Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters, Royal Albert Hall review: 'he blew the cobwebs away and cleansed the soul'

by James Hall 9 December 2017  

“You make a noise, you create a groove, and you have a good laugh,” said Robert Plant in a documentary earlier this year when asked about his music.

And grooves were precisely what one of the most famous front men of all time delivered at his Royal Albert Hall show. If the set was reasonably low on Led Zeppelin numbers, Plant and his band, The Sensational Space Shifters, made up for it by weaving magical and multi-layered tunes.

The show was something of a journey through the musical genres that have shaped Plant’s life. Taking in everything from blues to bluegrass and north African rhythms to folk, he served up a musical feast that was as rich as it was rewarding. Only soupy sound – strange for a venue that usually delivers sonically – stopped this show from being a total delight.

Plant was half rock Santa, half musical shaman. In a red shirt, coiled in concentration, he delivered with gripping intensity from the first song, New World, from his new album Carry Fire. Plant doesn’t do past glories. He doesn’t do nostalgia. Resolutely against looking back, he instead tore through new tracks with the hunger of a musical explorer, each song building on those grooves he so loves. You got the impression that Plant, now 69, will never give up on his musical quest. Never give up on discovering. This was, after all, the man who turned down untold millions of pounds to reform Zeppelin a decade ago.

The May Queen had a circular riff that lulled and mesmerised. The Moroccan vibe of Carry Fire, meanwhile, was underpinned with by a gentle techno shuffle. And when folk singer Seth Lakeman came on to add violin to various tracks, we heard a wonderful lavishness that is too often missing in rock music these days.

There were a few Zeppelin songs, reworked and given unexpected musical flourishes. Misty Mountain Hop, nearly 50 years old, bounced along like a new track.

Chrissie Hynde joined Plant for a mesmerising Bluebirds Over the Mountain. The pair then sang 2000 Miles, in what must have been one of the sweetest duets I’ve ever heard. Two legends and a heap of early festive cheer.

And that was what this gig felt like: a celebration. One of the man and of the legacy but also of the here and now. And of the world of music that has informed this Black Country boy since he started writing songs half a century ago. The crowd lapped it up, relishing his band’s ability to jump between genres, always adding something new to what might have initially seemed familiar. And unlike many old rockers, his voice wasn’t tarnished and tired. Plant sounded invigorated and rootsy. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen him look happier or sound more accomplished. You can’t fake that, and it was wonderful to see.

Whole Lotta Love bought things to a fine conclusion. It reinforced our belief that, in a world gone mad, there’s nothing more cathartic than loud and exultant rock music. It blew the cobwebs away and cleansed the soul. Make a noise, create a groove and have a good laugh? Yes please. And that’s precisely what this Father Christmas of rock delivered.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/concerts/robert-plant-sensational-space-shifters-royal-albert-hall-review/

• Administrators

12133-rp.jpg

https://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/music/2017/12/13/robert-plant-and-the-sensational-space-shifters-symphony-hall-birmingham/

Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters, Symphony Hall, Birmingham - review

By John Corser | Music

"Remember the biggest island in Europe – Burnt Tree," were the bizarre final words on stage from Robert Plant as his sell-out UK tour came to a close in Birmingham last night.

Plagued by sound problems in the early stages the 69-year-old West Bromwich-born singer remained in good humour throughout last night's triumphant concert in Symphony Hall.

Taking to the stage with New World from his 11th solo album Carry Fire and Turn it Up from 2014's Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar, the band was forced to halt proceedings while the PA was sorted out.

Plant took the opportunity to fill in telling the audience: "It's seven years since I stood on this platform and I don't feel and different."

He regaled fans with memories of his childhood in the Black Country in Great Bridge and Park Lane East,Tipton, and how his grandfather played in a brass band there.

"My dad used to look for coppers in Tipton Park where now you can collect syringes," he joked.

He recalled Palethorpes and a quiz night in Tividale when a question was what is the largest island in Europe.

"The answer is Burnt Tree Island as a matter of fact," he claimed with a wink.

With the technical hitch resolved,The Sensational Space Shifters quickly shifted back into top form delivering May Queen from the new album with Plant prowling the stage with tambourine.

His voice was in fine form as he delivered the expected wails and moans in a set which took in a wide range of musical styles.

Folk support Seth Lakeman, who delivered a great one-man opening set, joined the band for many of the songs on fiddle.

Plant promised songs old and "some written on papyrus" and he delivered several Led Zeppelin songs including That's The Way and many covers including a glorious version of Richard Thompson's House of Cards.

He spoke fondly of his musical education in the 1960s at Birmingham's old Whiskey a Go Go club waching amazing American artists before delivering Leadbelly's Gallows Pole.

Justin Adams was in fantastic form on guitar on the Arabic-tinged Carry Fire with fellow guitarist Liam Tyson delivering subtle playing throughout the night, especially on the Zeppelin songs as the set finished with Little Maggie, Fixin' to Die and Misty Mountain Hop.

The night ended with a three-song encore of What Is and What Should Never Be, Bluebirds of the Mountains and finally, bringing the fans to their feet, a folk-tinged blast through the Zeppelin classic Whole Lotta Love.

• Administrators

Rock legend Robert Plant to headline Bath Festival finale

By Harriet Noble  | 19 DEC 2017

Robert Plant has been announced as the headline act for the Bath Festival finale 2018.

Robert will perform at the Rec on Sunday, May 27 with his band The Sensational Space Shifters, following Tears For Fears and Alison Moyet who perform on the Saturday evening.

Ian Stockley, Chief Executive of Bath Festivals said: “Hot on the heels of our exciting news about Tears For Fears and Alison Moyet, we’re thrilled to announce that Robert Plant will headline on the second day finale weekend, completing a great circle in rock history 50 years on.

"This important weekend will have something for all the family, rounding off the 17 days of next year’s festival with three outdoor stages and a number of hugely exciting acts across the two days, and it’s terrific that Robert will be there to perform for us.”

The singer-songwriter, best known as the leader singer of rock band Led Zeppelin, is no stranger to Bath having performed here at the Bath Blues Festival in 1969.

He has also championed the music scene in Bath, when in 2013 he contributed to a community buyout scheme to save Bath music venue, the Bell Inn.

Orchard Media and Events Group director Pablo Janczur added: “Robert Plant has been selling out concerts for years so we’re excited to bring him back to Bath Rec after 50 years, just as we’re bringing Tears For Fears home the day before.

The finale weekend is a brand new initiative for the festival, and we’re thrilled to be involved.”

The ‘Stairway to Heaven’ star has been a huge influence on musicians and music lovers; when he performed in Bath in the 60s, he was watched by Michael Eavis, who was then inspired to start the Glastonbury Festival a year later.
When is Bath festival?

The Bath Festival returns as an extended 17 day multi-arts festival from 11 to 27 May 2018.

How do I get tickets to see Robert Plant?

In person at Bath Box Office from 10.30am to 5pm

By telephone on 01225 463362

Online at www.thebathfestival.org.uk and www.ticketmaster.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Legendary rocker speaks to Kyle Meredith of Louisville radio station 91.9 WFPK. Unsure of the actual interview date, but was published to YouTube January 17th, 2018, I'm pretty sure this is a  recent interview.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
"THE BIG INTERVIEW WITH DAN RATHER" – ROBERT PLANT | PREMIERES MAR 13

The Big Interview with Dan Rather is returning for an all-new season of fascinating interviews with some of pop culture’s biggest names. Kicking things off this season is legendary rock musician, and Led Zeppelin frontman, Robert Plant!

In this TBI sneak peek, Dan asks Robert Plant if “Kashmir” is his all-time favorite Zeppelin song. Plant remarks about the iconic song’s unique qualities but doesn’t commit to liking any particular Zeppelin song more than another. Watch their full conversation on the season premiere of The Big Interview with Dan Rather, premiering Tuesday, March 13th at 9/8c on AXS TV.

Archived