Robert Plant Announces New ‘Carry Fire’ LP, Debuts ‘The May Queen’ Single

Why is it that when ever Plant gets criticized the immediate response is "well Jimmy makes promises and doesn't deliver"? Or, if you don't have anything positive to say then keep your mouth shut. I'm sure Plant has his own website where every single person there is jizzing in their pants over everything he does, but thats not the case here. And thats a good thing.B)

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Cause he's repeatedly promised to deliver new music and he hasn't, while his former songwriting partner has.

It's not rocket science.

I thought it was odd to get on someone for making a negative comment towards Robert's new album with "why say anything?" ... then turn around and make a negative comment about Jimmy in the same post.. is that ok with you? 

Jimmy's lack of output has nothing to do with Robert's new album.

Page also recently said he's NOT putting a time table or definite release date on any new material.. 

2 hours ago, The Pagemeister said:

People are bitter about Pagey's lack of output.

In the last 38 years, there hasn't been much.

Almost 20 years since the last new album.

But I agree, I would not pick on Page.

I get it. I'm not thrilled either.. But certain people here can't go a day or two without throwing an insult at Page. 

As far as the song goes... it's pretty cool. The drums have an obvious heavy Eastern feel.. He's into the world music thing and in his own words trying to combine the old and new. His voice sounds very good. A for effort. Ever onward. 

4 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Well, the song sonically maybe sounds interesting sorta, but there's no substance to it.  

Like most of it is just one chord and lots of "ahhhhs"

It's ok nothing special his voice sounds good 

Good analysis. This is the way I would have liked to have put it, but couldn't. My words were insipid and uninspiring 

Well it might be ridiculous, to give people lectures on taste, as it's just something you basically hear and you either like it or not and it's your choice and sometimes you don't even want to explain why and while it's not wrong, to try and make people more open to other music, I can't just claim Zeppelin fans compare it all to Led Zeppelin and their most prominent elements and I love Led Zeppelin tremendously for so many reasons, so I understand this a lot and in a way it's also always cool, to be at a stadium in the first row, with tens of thousands of people behind you, watching John Bonham do something incredible, that most people simply can't do, both in terms of drumming and audience attraction. But the thing is, people can get somewhat boastful and defensive about it, it's one thing simply liking it, its' another thing saying, something else is crap, simply because Zep were great virtuosos at their best, which is a rare thing indeed and many times linked directly to great success. Especially as Zep were also very original and unique, but that is already a lot more subjective, even if a lot of people think that.

It's perfectly clear, which are the musical elements, that a Zeppelin fan loves a lot, even if Zep had a lot of diversity, which should make you more open. It's something that perhaps even makes you understand, why not something like Slayer. They are more technical and precise, but not as imaginative and diverse.

But basically it's just about liking something or not and you may perhaps like all sorts of music, which is not like Zep at all, but you don't like Roberts. But it's really not about comparing, it's Roberts music being mentioned on a Zep forum, because he was in Zep and then it's not just some music being compared to Zep, but a former Zep member's music compared to Zep and there is no need to do that, it's good to be open to new music and not obviously being unkind or even insulting, simply because it' not like Zeppelin.

Also saying it's got one chord and lots of ahhs is not a very good opinion. It doesn't have just one chord and how many chords does Whole lotta love have? But it does have many elements, which appeal to a Zep fan and that's perfectly alright, but it' also good to listen to all sorts of music. And saying it's got lots of ahhs, well so does Battle of evermore or even Stairway uuuuuuuu it makes me wonder and May queen obviously also has lyrics, lots of lyrics and really good if you ask me and a  beautiful arrangement.

So just be open, enjoy new music and simply,  if you feel it's needed, admit to yourself, you might be looking for Zep elements too much in other music and that you should be kinder to Robert, simply because you are his fan, because he was the singer in Zeppelin.

Also Plant's solo music has got a lot of diversity, sometimes even virtuosity, especially vocal virtuosity, better lyrics than Zeppelin for sure, lots of different styles and rather full and imaginative arrangements.

I should perhaps mention I love Led Zeppelin exactly for rather obvious reasons and those are the elements I love in music the most! Even if I listen to some calmer music, I always love the most, to hear the loud vocal part or the fullest part of the instrumental arrangement or such a part of a solo.

So it's clear we all love intensity, virtuosity, diversity, diverse jams and very full arrangements, cascading with riffs and solos, it has to be loud and spectacular and even when it's acoustic, it has to have a lot of structure and it's also good that it's complex and progressive and even symphonic at times. And yeah, most bands simply can't do that! Yeah!

Don't get me wrong, I like Zep more then Roberts solo stuff and it's exactly for the same reasons others here do!

Oh and yeah, let's make the third post say Happy birthday Robert Plant and today is the day hehe, all Zeppelin fans have to listen only to your solo music hehe and that is Zep fans who especially love Whole lotta love and Achilles last stand, have to start with Lullaby and the ceaseless roar and listen all the way to the first one, while the ones who are fans of Zeps acoustic stuff, should start with Manic Nirvana and continue with more early electronic stuff.

Enjoy the day and don't make annoying posts, especially many in a row! ;)  :)

I've been a Robert Plant fan my entire lifetime. Always will be too. The last album and the first song from this one has me pinning for Shaken and Stirred. I just can't enjoy or appreciate his current direction with songs like this. I'll hold out hope for the rest of the album 

Does anyone else think the guitar is in the tuning CACGCE as Friends, Poor Tom, and Bron y aur are?   It sounds like it to me; would be interesting if it is given Jimmy's love for this tuning.  I really hope this is not the best this new album has to offer.  Robert should stop writing songs that sound like they belong on the soundtrack for a cattle drive montage in a Western or some outdoor show and get back to his heavy blues roots in my opinion.  I saw him at Telluride in 2012 with the Space Shifters (best act that week was B. Fleck and V. Wooten).  Plant and his band put on a great show, but the heavy reliance on reworked Zeppelin tunes and the country-ass-ye-haw vibe did not do justice to this great singer's legacy and neither does this short sample of his new work. 

5 hours ago, Darth Hoek said:

Does anyone else think the guitar is in the tuning CACGCE as Friends, Poor Tom, and Bron y aur are?   It sounds like it to me; would be interesting if it is given Jimmy's love for this tuning.  I really hope this is not the best this new album has to offer.  Robert should stop writing songs that sound like they belong on the soundtrack for a cattle drive montage in a Western or some outdoor show and get back to his heavy blues roots in my opinion.  I saw him at Telluride in 2012 with the Space Shifters (best act that week was B. Fleck and V. Wooten).  Plant and his band put on a great show, but the heavy reliance on reworked Zeppelin tunes and the country-ass-ye-haw vibe did not do justice to this great singer's legacy and neither does this short sample of his new work. 

When I first heard this song a few days ago the first thing that came to mind was "Poor Tom."  Like the song and quite varied, even though some here don't like his musical direction, but I do!  Just hope RP finally drops Black Dog from his shows as that version has to go!

• Administrators

Robert Plant Shares the Story Behind His New Album, "Carry Fire"

robert-plant-2017-mads-perch-1200x628.jpg

Though Robert Plant has returned to the Welsh borders, he retains the sensibility—and the soul—of an itinerant troubadour. His diverse musical points of reference stand out like pins on a map, from Austin, Texas, to Timbuktu, Mali. Plant treasures transience.

On his second Nonesuch album, Carry Fire, due October 13 on Nonesuch / Warner Bros. Records, Plant reflects on the experiences, the emotions and the sounds of where he's been, and he ruminates on where he—and our world—might be headed. Bittersweet songs of love remembered and of time passing, are juxtaposed against cautionary tales, of people and nations that have failed to learn the familiar lessons of history.

"I've filled many British passports," says Plant. "It's like I'm just moving through the spheres. I feel like a mariner who has spent so much time in so many different ports of call, experiencing so many different adventures and scenarios. So perhaps this collection is more 'pictures at twelve' rather than 'pictures at eleven'."

"The May Queen" starts the album on an upbeat note, percussive psychedelic folk, with Plant's vocal alternating between seductive and yearning. "Carry Fire," on the other hand, is a kind of haunted desert blues, bolstered by a pulsing rhythm, ghostly backing voices, and a viola chasing the melody of an electric oud. The anthemic rock beat of "New World" visits the everlasting story of immigration, expansion and the disastrous effects on existing cultures. "Carving Up the World Again" is a more contemporary glimpse of "trouble at the border" and the futile palisades and walls. The sole cover is a pounding, trip hop-style take on Ersel Hickey's 1957 sweet and simple rockabilly hit, "Bluebirds Over the Mountain," reconceived as an otherworldly duet for Plant and the Pretenders' Chrissie Hynde, two iconic voices that intertwine beautifully.

Once again Plant collaborates with the Sensational Space Shifters, his well-matched band of brilliant, eclectic players with whom he's been touring, on and off, since 2002: longtime guitarist Justin Adams, keyboardist-programmer John Baggott, bassist Billy Fuller, drummer Dave Smith, and guitarist Liam "Skin" Tyson. Collectively, the group—which evolved out of an earlier Plant backing combo, Strange Sensation—has its roots in folk and world music, and the still-influential Bristol Sound of Massive Attack and Portishead, propelled by the juggernaut Howling Wolf / Led Zep legacy.

Even before they'd developed a repertoire of their own, Plant and the Space Shifters had a unique live sound, a heady mix of American roots music, Celtic folk, reverberating trip hop, and hypnotic Middle Eastern and African grooves. They employed this sonic arsenal to reinterpret old blues standards, Led Zeppelin classics, and Plant's earlier solo work at festivals and on concert tours. That exploratory approach became the foundation for Plant's acclaimed 2014 Nonesuch debut, lullaby….and the Ceaseless Roar, his first album of original compositions since 2005.

On Carry Fire, Plant and the Space Shifters make what Plant calls "a mélange a trois": "It's a very British thing, the Bristol thing and then the element of North African and West African drum rhythms brought together with plaintive melodies." Plant added a new voice to this polyglot sound by inviting fiddle and viola player Seth Lakeman, a luminary of the British folk scene, as a guest star on these sessions, much as he did with Gambian musician Juldeh Camara, on lullaby.

While Plant wrote the words, the group collectively brainstormed the basic tracks, encouraged by Plant to bring the same sense of fearlessness and spontaneity they display on stage. As guitarist Justin Adams told the New York Times, Plant "can create an atmosphere where suddenly lightning is more likely to strike. In collaborative music, it's often not a question of careful writing and composition and all these sorts of things. It's more the spirit of the moment when things come together in a flash. And he's an expert on that."

"Some things were really spontaneous." Plant corroborates. "I'd been singing 'Bluebirds' live with the band for a while. I approached Chrissie because I wanted a female voice. It's such a retro-esque part for her, a 1957 rockabilly song…and now we've screwed it to the ground and put it through the Bristol sonic mill. That one came straight away. And 'Carry Fire' was very immediate. Justin has a beautiful electric oud line from which it developed. I'm inspired by the rhythmic grooves we create. We specialize in hypnotic moments of atmosphere and sounds. And of course there's the bendir"—a North African hand drum—"underneath many of these rhythms."

Plant produced the album himself with contributions from all the musicians, with the help of engineer Tim Oliver, who was also on board for lullaby. With Oliver, Plant assembled layers of backing vocal tracks. They provide a lushness to the otherwise brooding "A Way With Words," enhance the dreamy sensuality of "Season's Song," and help to dial up the romantic drama of "Dance With You Tonight." Plant even uses some unlikely pop harmonies to serve as counterpoint to the main voice on "New World."

"We recorded it in a studio next to Peter Gabriel's Real World, not far from Bristol and Bath in the West Country. It's a real hive of industry there. Working alongside the main studios, we'd encounter many artists from around the world. It's an inspiring atmosphere. You meet Welsh singers, African players from Niger, and American Bluegrass goddesses passing through. It's a creative place."

Plant has never been an artist to rest on his laurels. He's a multiple Grammy Award winner, most recently for Raising Sand, his collaboration with Alison Krauss; as a member of Led Zeppelin, he's a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee; and, in a 2011 Rolling Stone poll, readers named him the top rock vocalist of all time. On the closing track, "Heaven Sent"—a song he calls "the anthem of my being"—he describes a restless, journeying spirit: "All that's worth the doing is seldom easy done / All that's worth the winning is seldom easy won…"

"It's about intention," said Plant of his latter-day career and his current work. "I rejoice in my previous work but must continue the journey to new worlds, after all there are so many songs that are yet to be written. The whole impetus of the band has shifted, moved on its axis somewhat to allow more air and light to come in. Ultimately that makes for more exciting, and interesting landscapes of mood, melody and instrumentation."

—Michael Hill

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/robert-plant-shares-story-behind-his-new-album-carry-fire-2017-08-28

For some around here whatever he puts out it will never be good enough cos it's not with Jimmy and JPJ. If people don't like what he does then fine don't listen to his stuff or buy the albums, some of us will. I'm interested in and prepared to listen to the different directons he goes in, at least there's a breadth and depth to what he does with SSS. Its not formulaic or predictable, I like that.

People criticised Zep for going in different directions that back in the day cos every one wanted subsequent albums to be the same as the previous one. I remember the press slatings they got when III was released cos it wasn't Zep 2 Pt 2 and HOTH cos it wasn't Zep 4 Pt 2.

I am happy that Robert is stil making music, I would love Jimmy to put something out and JPJ is just everywhere with hs styles and playing but I don't think we wil see another solo album from him as with Zooma and Thunderthief.

Better they are all still alive and not long gone like many others.

And at the end of the day we still have Led Zeppelin whenever we want it. And thats been the case since I was 12 in and first heard Communication Breakdown in 1969, it turned my musical world upside down and has cost me a fortune down the years, and I'm still here. No other band ever came close and I have bought and seen pretty much all of the biggest there has been.

I am looking forward to the SSS shows I have booked cos th eman is still something special live.

3 hours ago, ledded1 said:

For some around here whatever he puts out it will never be good enough cos it's not with Jimmy and JPJ. If people don't like what he does then fine don't listen to his stuff or buy the albums, some of us will. I'm interested in and prepared to listen to the different directons he goes in, at least there's a breadth and depth to what he does with SSS. Its not formulaic or predictable, I like that.

People criticised Zep for going in different directions that back in the day cos every one wanted subsequent albums to be the same as the previous one. I remember the press slatings they got when III was released cos it wasn't Zep 2 Pt 2 and HOTH cos it wasn't Zep 4 Pt 2.

I am happy that Robert is stil making music, I would love Jimmy to put something out and JPJ is just everywhere with hs styles and playing but I don't think we wil see another solo album from him as with Zooma and Thunderthief.

Better they are all still alive and not long gone like many others.

And at the end of the day we still have Led Zeppelin whenever we want it. And thats been the case since I was 12 in and first heard Communication Breakdown in 1969, it turned my musical world upside down and has cost me a fortune down the years, and I'm still here. No other band ever came close and I have bought and seen pretty much all of the biggest there has been.

I am looking forward to the SSS shows I have booked cos th eman is still something special live.

^ +1

Could not have said it better myself and something you said made me chuckle. Particularly referring to fans of Zeppelin liking how they would go in different directions with each album. However, like you mentioned, most people are selfish pricks at heart and thus those people who crowed about loving Zep going in different directions were also the first to bemoan albums such as Zeppelin III and especially ITTOD. Talk about stupid hilarious, I remember a friend back in 79' before ITTOD was released saying how he knew the album would be different than Presence and was so happy for that. However when it dropped he was the first in line to bash it because yes, the album was different from Presence but unfortunately for fuck-O, the direction Zep went towards was NOT the direction fuck-O wanted. Oh the horror!!! Your favorite band did not read your mind and spoon feed you exactly what you desired, Boo fucking hoo.

The whole point of music is creativity and that creativity is solely at the artist discretion and motivation. You don't like the direction of the music? Fine, jump off the caravan and wait for the Greyhound bus of whatever predictable music you prefer. The rest of us will enjoy the journey without you.

Hear Robert Plant's Thunderous New Song 'Bones of Saints'

Singer croons about "fire up in the sky" on bluesy 'Carry Fire' track

Robert Plant released a thunderous new song, "Bones of Saints," from his upcoming 11th LP, Carry Fire. The frontman favors his smoky lower register, crooning a series of brooding images ("madness in the air," "fire up in the sky") as backing band the Sensational Space Shifters churn up rustic guitars and thumping tom-toms.

Carry Fire, out October 13th via Nonesuch/Warner Bros., also features lead single "The May Queen," a more reflective piece that nods toward his old band's acoustic work on Led Zeppelin III.

The 11-track LP, which follows 2014's Lullaby and… the Ceaseless Roar, features the Sensational Shapeshifters (John Baggott, Justin Adams, Dave Smith and Liam "Skin" Tyson), with cellist Redi Hasa and violist/violinist Seth Lakeman on three cuts. Chrissie Hynde performs a duet with Plant on a cover of Ersel Hickey's "Bluebirds Over the Mountain."

"It's about intention, I respect and relish my past works but each time I feel the lure and incentive to create new work. I must mix old with new," Plant said in a statement of his creative direction on the LP. "Consequently the whole impetus of the band has moved on its axis somewhat, the new sound and different space giving way to exciting and dramatic landscapes of mood, melody and instrumentation."

Plant will promote Carry Fire with a tour launching in November in the U.K. and Ireland.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-robert-plants-thunderous-new-song-bones-of-saints-w500767

FYI: the entire song for the second single "Bones of Saints" is back online on YouTube. I had originally posted this on the original thread "Any Time Now" on 18 August but RP's management pulled the 2nd video until now. I'm posting here, so everyone can hear the entire song officially via YouTube . Full album releases 13 October. US tour dates in 2018. 

R😎

3 hours ago, John M said:

Bones of Saints - fantastic!  Great lyrics, along the lines of the amazing "Another Tribe".  First two songs released are really good.  Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Agree, and this new song is fantastic. I truly enjoy it when Robert sings in his lower register and I wish he would more often.

Archived