The problem with Jason Bonham...

Krish

Now this isn't meant to bash Jason b/c he seems like a very intelligent, appreciative and humble guy who according to all reports did his father and the 3 surviving members not to mention the audience very proud two weeks ago. That being said, what the hell has he been doing the last several years working with Foreigner? Give me a break! They had four solid albums back when I was in high school, but Jason should be pushing musical boundaries like his father did and working with musicians who have some vision and desire for adventure and experimentation. I can think of many bands he should have been in and Foreigner is not one of them. I don't get it - I know Page & Plant were label mates with them and even jammed with them at a show in the very early 1980s, but if Zeppelin does not tour I would love to see Jason get together with people like Malmsteen, Daisley, and Zack de la Rocha for example. Krish

Now this isn't meant to bash Jason b/c he seems like a very intelligent, appreciative and humble guy who according to all reports did his father and the 3 surviving members not to mention the audience very proud two weeks ago. That being said, what the hell has he been doing the last several years working with Foreigner? Give me a break! They had four solid albums back when I was in high school, but Jason should be pushing musical boundaries like his father did and working with musicians who have some vision and desire for adventure and experimentation. I can think of many bands he should have been in and Foreigner is not one of them. I don't get it - I know Page & Plant were label mates with them and even jammed with them at a show in the very early 1980s, but if Zeppelin does not tour I would love to see Jason get together with people like Malmsteen, Daisley, and Zack de la Rocha for example. Krish

Music is one of the hardest businesses to make it in....you take what you can get...remember, he's married with wife and kids...needs to pay the bills...most guys would even play with the Spice Girls if they were going to make some major $$$!!!

I understand that Wolfman, I just kind of assumed he'd be loaded from his father's royalties, etc. allowing him some freedom to try more adventurous stuff. I have a lot of respect for what Mick Jones was doing in the mid-to-late 70s, but everything beyond the '4' album was too pop-ish and too AOR for my taste. Bands like Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Journey, even Styx - after some time those bands just all sound the same when their focus is soppy love ballads. Jason could have done better and certainly deserves better in my opinion. But hey, I'm not a musician so what do I know. :) K

All your post signifies is that you don't like Foriegner...and that's fine....I've never been crazy about them either, but the truth is they were HUGE....100X more than friggin Malmsteen or Zack will ever be. They've only sold 36 million albums in the US, had all 7 albums from 77 to 87 all go multi platinum, and are still selling out shows in mid market venues and have a long list of songs that is simply part of just about anybody 35-40+ yr old's life. Besides, it's the best regular/longstanding paycheck Jason's ever had in his drumming career.

What you should be asking is......what's up w/ Page? He sits on his ass for 7 yrs at a time waiting for someone to take him back down memory lane while everyone else is still living up to the Zeppelin creed. Ever Onward!!!

All your post signifies is that you don't like Foriegner...and that's fine....I've never been crazy about them either, but the truth is they were HUGE....100X more than friggin Malmsteen or Zack will ever be. They've only sold 36 million albums in the US, had all 7 albums from 77 to 87 all go multi platinum, and are still selling out shows in mid market venues and have a long list of songs that is simply part of just about anybody 35-40+ yr old's life. Besides, it's the best regular/longstanding paycheck Jason's ever had in his drumming career.

What you should be asking is......what's up w/ Page? He sits on his ass for 7 yrs at a time waiting for someone to take him back down memory lane while everyone else is still living up to the Zeppelin creed. Ever Onward!!!

WELL PUT HONEYDRIPPER!!!

Not wanting to get into a war of words or semantics Honeydripper but while I totally agree with you that Page has lacked real inspiration/a muse since 1979, I'm not only saying I dislike Foreigner as much as I'm saying this is a band that lacks vision and imagination. I honestly could care less that they've sold millions of albums - many bands that sell millions of albums I actually do not like (eg., Hagar-era Van Halen, Kiss, etc) - the fact that Zeppelin sold millions of albums is irrelevant to my point in that because they had vision, integrity & a sense of adventure I would have loved their music even if they had sold one album only (to me). If Foreigner was his most steady paycheck once again that's the problem with Jason Bonham - he settled for the safety net of the steady paycheck rather than pushing the boundries like his father. He could still do this now that he's not drumming for Foreigner any longer as it would seem. K

He could still do this now that he's not drumming for Foreigner any longer as it would seem. K

He has not left Foreigner, and they have tour dates lined up thru May 2008. They are an energetic live band playing many great places around the world. I can see why he

enjoys it so much.

Hi all,

You should retitile the thread, my problem with Jason Bonham.

Foreigner?Maybe he likes hitting the skins and playing music when he can,...

Do you have any idea what this guy has been through?At all?

Malsteen? He opened for AC/DC on the the "For those about to Rock." tour,he came out with his band for two numbers,dismissed them,then gave guitar lessons,on his scalloped Strat,...what a bore,so the 20,000+ strong -asked- for Angus and Malcolm :D

His dad(Jason) died young,he was at the time one of the most famous musicians in the world.

He went throught addiction.

He loves music.

Even his dad said it was the only time he had seen/heard Led Zeppelin.(1979'Trampled Underfoot',...sound check)

He was asked to play at the Atlantic 40th party.

They were billed as Led Zeppelin at O2,...now who was the drummer?

Take care and listen to "Dirty White Boy." :thumbsup:

KB

I still maintain that he could do much better than play drums with Foreigner. Just my opinion, of course.

Please remember that the individual entities which made Zeppelin, operated exceedingly well as a group. None of them have achieved the same sort of success by themselves.

Jason Bohnam would have buckley’s chance finding that kind of niche; unlike John Bonham.

Further to the point, Jason Bonham is probably a competent drummer but you make him out to be a prodigy or something. If you want to see ground breaking musicianship, you really ought to be looking at the jazz side of things.

As I've said before, rock musicians don't really cross boundaries these days and the primary reason why they did in the past was due to opportunity more than raw genius.

Please remember that the individual entities which made Zeppelin, operated exceedingly well as a group. None of them have achieved the same sort of success by themselves.

Jason Bohnam would have buckley’s chance finding that kind of niche; unlike John Bonham.

Further to the point, Jason Bonham is probably a competent drummer but you make him out to be a prodigy or something. If you want to see ground breaking musicianship, you really ought to be looking at the jazz side of things.

As I've said before, rock musicians don't really cross boundaries these days and the primary reason why they did in the past was due to opportunity more than raw genius.

That makes a lot of sense. Thx, Sam. On another note I just realized this thread I put together has morphed into "Krish doesn't like Foreigner" but that's really not the case. I really did like their first four albums and even have their Greatest Hits CD but I and probably everyone on this board can think of at least 20 bands we love more than Foreigner.

You have to understand Jason has had his own battle with the bottle. It's not like he's been fully functional all these years.

Huh?

Alcohol/drugs are synonymous with rock music.

John Bonham was an alcoholic

Jimmy Page was a heroin addict.

Hi all,

Huh?

Alcohol/drugs are synonymous with rock music.

John Bonham was an alcoholic

Jimmy Page was a heroin addict.

Well both Ted Nugent and Mr Zappa said they were clean,and a few others,....

So who has a problem with Jason,..now?

"Nobody's Fault" Right,...but mine? :blink:

KB

Maybe he doesn't know how to push boundaries?

Besides, rock musicians don't push boundaries anymore.

I dont think he can't (and puting aside any personal problems he has had) it's probably more a case of " why should i "

Your probably right though in that many many musicians nowadays dont want to push boundaries.

A lot of musicians just like to play their music out of love of the instrument, or love or performing and are not interested in anything else.

I dont think he can't (and puting aside any personal problems he has had) it's probably more a case of " why should i "

Your probably right though in that many many musicians nowadays dont want to push boundaries.

A lot of musicians just like to play their music out of love of the instrument, or love or performing and are not interested in anything else.

Yes.

Krish made that assumption.

Further, I believe that Jason; being the son of John Bonham, is probably burdened with the dilemma of living up to his father's name or feels obligated to play in a particular style or manner?

I am only assuming here but if this were true, Jason must have many personal issues to deal with.

In a sense, his link with Led Zeppelin must feel like a curse at times.

Again, I am making an assumption.

Yep i think you are right there - mentaly it must be a difficult thing.

To take the place in the band that your own father had before he died, to play his music and be compared to him when you perform...it has to bring back emotions and memories.

Right now i am watching TSRTS and have just finished watching Moby Dick, and during it there is a clip of john at home sitting next to a small boy who is playing the drums - the same boy who is now being asked to take his place in the band.

A few years ago I saw him with UFO. They were phenomenal (UFO fans will get the reference). The guy's working and good for him. This whole notion of him not "pushing the boundaries" is silly. Most of the time, musicians are just damn glad to have a gig. Look, Jason is a drummer. A damn good one. Generally speaking though, drummers need players to bounce ideas off. If you're not a songwriter, you need one to help you flesh out your ideas. Jason needs to find the right collaborator if it's his desire to "push the boundaries". That's not an easy thing to find. In the meantime he works. Meanwhile, I won't be heaping expectations on him. I'm just happy he's playing, regardless with whom, that he's sober and enjoying his life. :beer:

I HATE Foreigner, but I do not equate that as a problem with Jason. That's not fair. Let the man enjoy playing music where he chooses.

And that goes for Robert too.

I love Foreigner (the early records), but I think think this gentleman is correct in saying let the man play where he chooses. Jason is a musician with a very heavy burden to carry, he's the son of John Bonham, and he's followed in his father's footsteps. He's probably very weary of the comparison that comes every day he picks up his sticks. On the other hand, he's a drummer with a steady gig. He's a musician making his living and supporting his family as a musician. Not many can say that. He should be applauded for beating his demons and doing what he loves!

Also, isn't there some bizarre statistic somewhere that Foreigner 4 was the largest selling album Atlantic ever had???

Archived