2017 Total Eclipse of the Sun Across the USA

The Rover

Happy Eclipse Day!

Unfortunately we have been getting a heavy marine layer in the mornings the past few days and today is more of the same. The Eclipse starts 9:05am and hits its peak at 10:21am. It's doubtful it will burn off in time.

Best of luck in your viewing area. I had "Dark Side of the Moon" ready to crank.

The coverage here on the East coast is starting at 1 pm and is being aired nationally for two hours.  I am taping it in case I had forgotten.  I studied Astronomy in college so I have more than an average layman's understanding of terms in Astronomy.  Astronomical Units for instance being the yard stick for measuring distance in outer space.  A spectrometer to know the make up of a star.  Blues and Red Giants.  Solar and lunar eclipse's.  Now I happen to live in a terrible place to be an astronomer.  Though the year I studied I was fortunate to see comet Hyakataki run, and not only with the naked eye but even better with binoculars.  For those that do not know, the moon will block the sun for a short time and in certain area's on Earth, the eclipse will be total.  Not here where I am.  Understanding time and distance is one of the most significant topics to learn in astronomy.  We depend 100% on the Sun for our survival.  Any fluctuation in its relation to Earth could have catastrophic consequences.  As could an asteroid.  It will be interesting to see how in depth the coverage will go today.  The Apollo missions though long ago, really brought out our interest in outer space.  It seems like its been all down hill since Apollo 13.  A Gemini or early Apollo disaster was more understandable than the Challenger.  Even flights like TWA 800 and Malasia 370 were events that never should have happened in a post Apollo 11 world.  This eclipse once again gives us reason to look to the heavens.  Something that we should do more of. 

20 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The coverage here on the East coast is starting at 1 pm and is being aired nationally for two hours.  I am taping it in case I had forgotten.  I studied Astronomy in college so I have more than an average layman's understanding of terms in Astronomy.  Astronomical Units for instance being the yard stick for measuring distance in outer space.  A spectrometer to know the make up of a star.  Blues and Red Giants.  Solar and lunar eclipse's.  Now I happen to live in a terrible place to be an astronomer.  Though the year I studied I was fortunate to see comet Hyakataki run, and not only with the naked eye but even better with binoculars.  For those that do not know, the moon will block the sun for a short time and in certain area's on Earth, the eclipse will be total.  Not here where I am.  Understanding time and distance is one of the most significant topics to learn in astronomy.  We depend 100% on the Sun for our survival.  Any fluctuation in its relation to Earth could have catastrophic consequences.  As could an asteroid.  It will be interesting to see how in depth the coverage will go today.  The Apollo missions though long ago, really brought out our interest in outer space.  It seems like its been all down hill since Apollo 13.  A Gemini or early Apollo disaster was more understandable than the Challenger.  Even flights like TWA 800 and Malasia 370 were events that never should have happened in a post Apollo 11 world.  This eclipse once again gives us reason to look to the heavens.  Something that we should do more of. 

I wanted to take astronomy in community college, but never got around to it. Got a good look at Hale-Bopp though. :)

During totality, at various locations, for whatever reason, most of the Network coverage showed either, their correspondent, or the people reacting to the eclipse, or a filtered scientific view of the sun's corona.

But occasionally, for a a short time, they showed an unfiltered view of the totality, as you see it from the ground, and it was that view, that made me think of the title to the Soundgarden song "Black Hole Sun", because, you could see a black hole surrounded by the outer light of the sun.

6 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Cool shadows on the walkway in front of our house. 

IMG_1467.jpg

Looks like the album art for Meddle. You should go into photography as you are obviously very good at it. If I were taking the picture it would look like several small turds on the lawn.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Looks like the album art for Meddle. You should go into photography as you are obviously very good at it. If I were taking the picture it would look like several small turds on the lawn.

haha thanks man, I thought so, too. I'm actually surprised there aren't any turds, we have 2 dogs. :lol:

Unfortunately in Chicagoland, it was too cloudy. It got slightly darker, but about the same as if it were going to rain. I did not have any glasses to attempt to go out & see anything, Carbondale in Southern Illinois was the spot, from there you were able to see totality.

23 hours ago, redrum said:

I wanted to take astronomy in community college, but never got around to it. Got a good look at Hale-Bopp though. :)

Lots of great pics from yesterday and fabulous coverage by David Muir.  I think I took away a greater understanding of the universe once I studied Astronomy.  The book we used was by Seeds.  Fabulous book.  It has the constellation charts and all of the facts about the stars we know about.  Like Sirius, our Sun, Beatlejuice, and you will learn the difference between old stars which are usually red or orange and young stars that are blue.  Understanding time and distance makes it much tougher to believe that aliens have been here.  That is my opinion.  Because they would have to defeat the same laws of physics we would have to.  But, who knows.  Perhaps they have ways to control Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion.  Perpetual momentum has been suggested as a way to achieve speeds far greater than we can currently travel at.  Of course there are big risks involved.  Its a fascinating topic to study.  I look forward to the next eclipse, this one is supposed to be a total and in my own back yard.

Archived