Yardbirds '68 out Nov 5th

JTM

On 17.11.2017 at 9:44 AM, Mook said:

Mine arrived yesterday, what a brilliant version of Mr You're a Better Man Than I on the live album.

I'll try to get a proper listen over the weekend.

Haven`t got my vinyl yet, but yes, you are damn right! Even more, I`d say that Mr You`re a Better Man Than I, the following bridge & Heart Full Of Stone are their finest moments. Jimmy`s guitar tone is out of this world, terrific!

An explanation as to why Relf's vocals are missing from Knowing may be due to Relf's sister. She has got a serious hate on for Page for what reason I do not know. Though I do know she has been carrying quite the grudge since the formation of Zeppelin. So I am assuming it is estate issue, insofar as since the track later on became Tangerine, Relf's sister may have threatened litigation.

Just speculating on the why, though her hatred of Page is well known and well documented.

3 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

FYI to those in North America who ordered the set who don't yet have it...be on the lookout. Mine arrived in the suburbs of Philly today! :)

Cool beans! Did you order a CD or vinyl? I ordered the vinyl and am still in waiting and haven't read about anybody getting a vinyl copy yet. Also, did you get a shipping notice beforehand?

22 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Cool beans! Did you order a CD or vinyl? I ordered the vinyl and am still in waiting and haven't read about anybody getting a vinyl copy yet. Also, did you get a shipping notice beforehand?

I ordered the CD, and I got a shipping notice last week.

17 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

I just got an email today stating it had shipped so hopefully next week it should arrive.

Yes, it took about 8-9 days after the email for me.

I hope you both (and everyone else who ordered) get your CDs/Vinyl very soon!

On 11/19/2017 at 12:40 PM, IpMan said:

An explanation as to why Relf's vocals are missing from Knowing may be due to Relf's sister. She has got a serious hate on for Page for what reason I do not know. Though I do know she has been carrying quite the grudge since the formation of Zeppelin. So I am assuming it is estate issue, insofar as since the track later on became Tangerine, Relf's sister may have threatened litigation.

Just speculating on the why, though her hatred of Page is well known and well documented.

Keith Relf wrote most of the lyrics for Knowing That I'm Losing You, but when Page appropriated the second verse for the first verse of Tangerine, he never gave Keith Relf any credit for it. If Page had used Knowing That I'm Losing You with vocals on this release it would definitely have highlighted this transgression and arguably shown that The Yardbirds version is superior.  

"He (Relf) should really be given a credit for that one" -- Jim McCarty, 2001.

"My brother plucked that session man out of obscurity and gave him a job and that's how he repaid him? My brother was not well-off at the end of his life and the royalties for that song could have helped out considerably." -- Jane Relf, 2001.

that one," Jim McCarty

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Keith Relf wrote most of the lyrics for Knowing That I'm Losing You, but when Page appropriated the second verse for the first verse of Tangerine, he never gave Keith Relf any credit for it. If Page had used Knowing That I'm Losing You with vocals on this release it would definitely have highlighted this transgression and arguably shown that The Yardbirds version is superior.  

"He (Relf) should really be given a credit for that one" -- Jim McCarty, 2001.

"My brother plucked that session man out of obscurity and gave him a job and that's how he repaid him? My brother was not well-off at the end of his life and the royalties for that song could have helped out considerably." -- Jane Relf, 2001.

that one," Jim McCarty

I agree Relf should have been given a songwriting credit however I do not believe the Yardbirds version is superior. Relf was not much of a singer IMO and he sounds half drunk "singing" or rather talking the lyrics in the Yardbirds version. That being said Relf still wrote some of the lyrics Jimmy used.

Jane Relf however can fuck the hell off for such a moronic statement. Relf never plucked anyone out of obscurity and Jimmy originally turned down the gig when Clapton left instead suggesting Beck. It was Page who did the Yardbirds a favor by taking over first on bass when Samwell-Smith jumped ship during a tour (how professional) and again stepping up after Beck left (again, how professional). Again I agree Keith should have been given credit but for chrissakes, Jane Relf spouting egregious falsehoods makes one look silly. Also, I did not realize Jimmy or anyone else was responsible for Relf's own financial mismanagement and poor decision making. If Relf was broke by 76' that's on Relf.

Finally got mine. It looks great I haven’t had a chance to give it a listen yet. One thing that bothers me is the whole thing about them thinking these tapes had been lost for ever etc. and Chris Dreja saying how it’s so good to hear them again after all this time. Has Cumular Limit been removed from history or did I just imagine it?

On 11/24/2017 at 10:51 AM, IpMan said:

Jane Relf however can fuck the hell off for such a moronic statement...Also, I did not realize Jimmy or anyone else was responsible for Relf's own financial mismanagement and poor decision making. If Relf was broke by 76' that's on Relf.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Plucked him from obscurity? Being the most sought after sesson guy in London is hardly "obscurity", and it's not as if it was his time in the Yardbirds that made Page a star anyhow. What a loon. She reminds me of Randy California's sisters during the STH trial. What is it with sisters?

Have listened to the live disc multiple times.  The fog has finally been lifted.  I compared it to my old vinyl Epic release copy.  I can finally hear Dreja and McCarty properly and they are terrific.  Relf is Relf but when he gets into it - it works !  And Page is a MONSTER all over this set.  That Telecaster tone is fabulous.  The leads are so clear and biting - the rhythm parts are full and so powerful.  The whole things shimmers with life and energy.  Often it is barely controlled chaos - dancing on the precipice as Jimmy used to say.  It sounds so powerful and so immediate, like you are right there.  I know there are better shows but the sound here is so good and the performance is plenty good.  This release is a treasure.

Looking forward to hearing the studio sketches next.

5 hours ago, John M said:

Have listened to the live disc multiple times.  The fog has finally been lifted.  I compared it to my old vinyl Epic release copy.  I can finally hear Dreja and McCarty properly and they are terrific.  Relf is Relf but when he gets into it - it works !  And Page is a MONSTER all over this set.  That Telecaster tone is fabulous.  The leads are so clear and biting - the rhythm parts are full and so powerful.  The whole things shimmers with life and energy.  Often it is barely controlled chaos - dancing on the precipice as Jimmy used to say.  It sounds so powerful and so immediate, like you are right there.  I know there are better shows but the sound here is so good and the performance is plenty good.  This release is a treasure.

Looking forward to hearing the studio sketches next.

I concur - great analysis! I love it! :)

The studio sketches are nice too - lots to enjoy there too.

On 11/28/2017 at 4:09 PM, Balthazor said:

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Plucked him from obscurity? Being the most sought after sesson guy in London is hardly "obscurity", and it's not as if it was his time in the Yardbirds that made Page a star anyhow. What a loon. She reminds me of Randy California's sisters during the STH trial. What is it with sisters?

Follow the Money trail. Those sisters are greedy and want some of that STH and KTILY $$$.

BTW, The Yardbirds ‘68 CD sounds awesome!!! 😀🎸👍

R😎

Received the two album set today from JimmyPage.com and listened to all of it. A big improvement in the sound of the Anderson Theater show. Happy that the audience overdubs were removed. The studio set also sounded great as well. Especially enjoyed the track Spanish Blood. Definitely a departure from the standard music The Yardbirds were known for.  

The booklet design reminded me of Zeppelin bootlegs released from Italy back in the 80-90s. (Not sure if Jimmy was going for that effect)

7 hours ago, sixpense said:

The booklet design reminded me of Zeppelin bootlegs released from Italy back in the 80-90s. (Not sure if Jimmy was going for that effect)

Oh yeah! A holiday in Italy when I was 14 and my first introduction to Led Zeppelin boots! I thought they were fantastic, it was a bit of a shock when I realized they were not the norm.

FYI, jimmypage.com emailed purchasers of the CD version acknowledging the manufacturing fault at the very end of disc 1 track 6 (Over Under Sideways Down), and saying they'd be sending a corrected CD 1 out to folks next week.

No idea how - or if - this applies to people who did not purchase direct from jimmypage.com.

51 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

FYI, jimmypage.com emailed purchasers of the CD version acknowledging the manufacturing fault at the very end of disc 1 track 6 (Over Under Sideways Down), and saying they'd be sending a corrected CD 1 out to folks next week.

No idea how - or if - this applies to people who did not purchase direct from jimmypage.com.

Only purchasers who e-mailed jp.com to complain have been offered replacements so far. If I get an e-mail telling me I will be receiving a corrected disc, fine, I'll lose no sleep though if I don't.

14 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I don't think my copy has a fault - the only thing I hear is an obvious cut where Page cut out Relf saying "Nostalgia".  It is the only really jarring or obvious cut that I can hear so far.  Was the defect something else?

8 hours ago, John M said:

I don't think my copy has a fault - the only thing I hear is an obvious cut where Page cut out Relf saying "Nostalgia".  It is the only really jarring or obvious cut that I can hear so far.  Was the defect something else?

The fault is small but quite audible, and it's on the CD version only. Disc 1, track 6 - Over Under Sideways Down - near the very end of the track at around 2:13, during decay of Page's final guitar note, there's about a 1/10th of a second total dropout. For many of us, it sticks out like a sore thumb. For some others it's not as noticeable - but once you hear it' you can't un-hear it. :)

On 11/28/2017 at 4:57 PM, John M said:

Agreed. Very much enjoying the new release.

Archived