Yardbirds '68 out Nov 5th

JTM

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2017 at 0:58 AM, John M said:

I also hope Jimmy left in some of Relf's commentary such as these gems.

"This next piece features Jimmy, completely.  I thought you'd like that, so I'll just wander off  and leave the whole stage to Jimmy Page."

"When we released this song people said we could never, ever recreate the solo part on stage.  Well, we have a very good try at least, Jimmy, magic fingers, the grand sorcerer of the magic guitar - Shapes of Things!"

"The guitar is being tuned down, for those of you interested in how sounds are 'got'."

"This is a very, very recognizable hit.  I'd like you to join in if you can, where you can shout the appropriate 'heys', you'll soon know where - I'll tell you.  It starts like this."

Then after the song he says "Nostalgia" for a TWO YEAR OLD SONG

You raise a good point, I do hope Jimmy has not been editing the songs as well for our "listening pleasure"......

I would have went for the groovy box set, until I saw the price..... which is rather more than I was expecting, a lot more.

Looking forward to hearing this release.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope everything is great but the original release Keith is often out of tune or key, halfway thru the show I usually start getting irritated. His comments are very interesting, and his style is a bit unique. I wonder how much meddling Jimmy

will do with Relf's performance, use Autotune ? Hopefully Jimmy will be fine with his original performance, a winner,

please no overdubs or heavily doctored solos. Right, the LA show is a step up, Relf is good and Jimmy is even more

cranking than the Anderson Theatre. But no amount of studio trickery can shape that boot into a "official" release.

Not by Jimmy, anyway.

4 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

I hope everything is great but the original release Keith is often out of tune or key, halfway thru the show I usually start getting irritated. His comments are very interesting, and his style is a bit unique. I wonder how much meddling Jimmy

will do with Relf's performance, use Autotune ? Hopefully Jimmy will be fine with his original performance, a winner,

please no overdubs or heavily doctored solos. Right, the LA show is a step up, Relf is good and Jimmy is even more

cranking than the Anderson Theatre. But no amount of studio trickery can shape that boot into a "official" release.

Not by Jimmy, anyway.

I agree - the snippet sounds great, and the very small vocal bits seem well-balanced in the mix, and if I am hearing correctly might also have had a touch of reverb added, though I can't be sure. But yes, the big question is whether Relf's rather dire and often out of tune vocals have been left warts-and-all, or have been sweetened (via reverb and/or autotone).

Reading the new Mojo just out with Jimmy's interview about Yardbirds 68 release.  This point  was interesting:

Q: Another key player at that time was Peter Grant, who started managing The Yardbirds in that final year. Obviously, that partnership between you and him was key to getting Zeppelin the deal with Atlantic.

JP: Yes. That’s a fair assessment because he was so important. So was the fact that I’d worked with [producer, songwriter and Atlantic exec] Bert Berns. He had asked me to come over to America to become a studio musician. I didn’t but I stayed with him in New York, and he took me down to meet the people at Atlantic.

The deal was nothing to do with [the fact that] Dusty Springfield recommended us. That’s a load of nonsense. It was the fact that we went to see Mo Ostin [at Warner Bros] on the West Coast, but that was really just to build it [and say to Atlantic], “We’re already talking to someone else.”

The CD & Vinyl are appearing on Amazon UK as 'Imports' but when you go in to buy them, it states that they aren't listed.

All very odd.

Does anyone else think it was a bit cheeky to charge the money a couple of months before sending the goods out on Jimmy's website?

Really looking forward to hearing this now.

4 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

Q: Another key player at that time was Peter Grant, who started managing The Yardbirds in that final year. Obviously, that partnership between you and him was key to getting Zeppelin the deal with Atlantic.

JP: .........The deal was nothing to do with [the fact that] Dusty Springfield recommended us. That’s a load of nonsense. It was the fact that we went to see Mo Ostin [at Warner Bros] on the West Coast, but that was really just to build it [and say to Atlantic], “We’re already talking to someone else.”

Interesting, cos I wondered if the reason the (in the end infamously bad tempered) meeting with Epic was kept in the diary was to give the impression they were talking to someone else. Maybe it was important to have someone on the West coast as another option?

11 hours ago, Mook said:

I've just noticed that the release date is a Sunday. How will that work, will the CDs/Vinyl be sent out on Monday 6th November?

Perhaps not always but usually when you preorder the item is sent out days in advance of the release date, timed so you will get it on the release date or very near. My Carry Fire vinyl came by UPS in the afternoon on the official release date.

If my memory serves me correctly, when I ordered the CD version of the Soundtracks box set, the CD came by US mail. When I ordered the vinyl version of Deathwish 2 in 2011, it was delivered to my door by someone. Didn't look like a UPS person either, it was a plain clothed guy with a leather jacket on, not sure who it was.

I think this release is cool especially with the studio extras. However, if you'd heard the show before, it's really hard to

see how a cleaned up version of the show( no bullfight cheers, Relf's vocals cleaned up a bit) will now be transformed

into something truly monumental. Maybe monumental as a precursor to Zep, but otherwise a damn good showing by

Jimmy. mainly. Actually apart from Relf, the other Birds' play very well. The deluxe edition price like some earlier

outrages is now turning fans into investors, as in most cases much value is lost  once the goods are removed from

their packaging. The cheapening of Jimmy's character rolls on.

4 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

I think this release is cool especially with the studio extras. However, if you'd heard the show before, it's really hard to

see how a cleaned up version of the show( no bullfight cheers, Relf's vocals cleaned up a bit) will now be transformed

into something truly monumental. Maybe monumental as a precursor to Zep, but otherwise a damn good showing by

Jimmy. mainly. Actually apart from Relf, the other Birds' play very well. The deluxe edition price like some earlier

outrages is now turning fans into investors, as in most cases much value is lost  once the goods are removed from

their packaging. The cheapening of Jimmy's character rolls on.

I was listening to "boot" yesterday for the first time in years. You're right what you say about Relf , I find his spoken intros a bit naff, cringeworthy even, hope they are edited.  One other weak point for me is "My Baby" awful song, could have done with that being left off..

1 hour ago, JTM said:

One other weak point for me is "My Baby" awful song, could have done with that being left off..

I've not heard the bootleg but I love that song, I was really glad it was on there when I pre-ordered.

20 minutes ago, reids said:

Hope to receive the Yardbirds cd soon, as I recently checked the site. It now says the release date is 11/17. 😮😳😞

R😎

I still see the 5th as release day. I thought that by now I would have had a dispatching email, so far not yet..

3 minutes ago, JTM said:

I still see the 5th as release day. I thought that by now I would have had a dispatching email, so far not yet..

Nothing in my e-mails yet either.

I've never heard of a CD being released on a Sunday before, I suspect it'll be sent out 2nd class on Monday.

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Nothing in my e-mails yet either.

I've never heard of a CD being released on a Sunday before, I suspect it'll be sent out 2nd class on Monday.

I have a feeling release date will be Friday the 10th as Sunday the 5th as you say seems unusual. I was hoping the 5th was a typo that should have been the 3rd, oh well it'll be here when it's here..

Archived