Auction of Bonham's Black Diamond Ludwig kit from 68/69

porgie66

20 hours ago, AussieOzzieZeppfan said:

I've read it in both books from reliable sources& in forums, RP owns the Slingerland kit which was (is?), a green sparkle 22 13 16,

The snare is a Ludwig LM 400 14X5" aluminum,

Until THE definitive book on ALL of Zepps recordings with both documentation & photos comes out I.e. Beatles & Stones recording books.All with got to go on as far as what he played on Zepp 1 is both conjecture & speculative & have to agree to disagree I've also read from Freddie Struder from Paiste that Bonzo visited the Paiste factory in late 60s so either 68 or 69.

I wish Jason was on this Forum and would shed some light on Bonzo's equipment. Or just share some stories . 

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators
5 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Whatever happened with this supposed auction of this kit?? I read somewhere that Dave Grohl recently bought a kit of Bonham's. Could it be this one? 

Nothing to do with Grohl.  It's been on display at Seattle's Museum of Pop Culture for a while. I supplied them with the photos / ads.

bonzo-seattle5.jpg

bonzo kit - Museum of Pop Culture 3.jpg

bonzo kit - Museum of Pop Culture 1.jpg

On 9/12/2017 at 6:40 PM, sixpense said:

From what I read a few months ago, Robert Plant owned the kit and was possibly going to auction off for charity.

By the way, the drum kit that Bonzo used for When the Levee Breaks was a green sparkle kit that was just purchased around late 1970 early 1971. 

I believe this kit is the one Bonham used for Led Zeppelin I.

I love the fact that people in this community know things like that. Zep and it's fans are the best! Nice one six 

2 hours ago, anniemouse said:

I am surprised what a small kit it is. Cannot get over how much power came out of that kit.

I was thinking the same thing. Such a simple, almost frail, kit for the brutal onslaught it was going to receive every set.  

Love seeing this stuff. 

1 hour ago, Walter said:

I was thinking the same thing. Such a simple, almost frail, kit for the brutal onslaught it was going to receive every set.  

Love seeing this stuff. 

Yeah, me too. I wish the gear would go on tour. That would have been a cool 50th anniversary thing to do. Have their stage gear , clothes etc do a tour of some major cities. 

3 hours ago, anniemouse said:

I am surprised what a small kit it is. Cannot get over how much power came out of that kit.

Yeah, although it really isn't small of a kit. That's a 22, 13, 16, 16 and if tuned right (which Bonzo certainly knew how to tune for maximum projection) will produce a nice big sound. There are only a handful of bootlegs of him playing that kit and you can tell it's a smaller kit, yet his touch is so powerful that it's not that noticeable. That kit was only used for about a month ...if that. I think the last gigs it was played was mid Jan 69 at the Grande Ballroom in Detroit. He had his maple kit by the Boston Tea Party Jan 23 '69. 

Archived