2nd Source Snippet Used On TYG from 6/21/77. Does more exist? (edit: YES!)

LedElvis75

1 hour ago, LedElvis75 said:

How much of that 2nd source exists?  Of course, the Millard recording is glorious and one of the All-Time Greats, but this 2nd source isn't bad. Would love to hear it if more exists. Very interested in finding it if anyone knows.

Check argenteum astrum for stuff like this. Good resource for finding tape source info . Seems odd but he shows only Ten Years Gone from that tape. 11 mins. 

I want to say that there's a bootleg of the June 22 show -done before the actual June 22 "Ten Years Gone" tape source appeared- that used the entire track from that June 21 alternate. 

Undoubtedly more of that source exists, but why would anyone want to listen to it more than once? It sounds like shit IMO, good only for patching the cut in Millard's source, like Winston did.

5 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

I want to say that there's a bootleg of the June 22 show -done before the actual June 22 "Ten Years Gone" tape source appeared- that used the entire track from that June 21 alternate. 

Undoubtedly more of that source exists, but why would anyone want to listen to it more than once? It sounds like shit IMO, good only for patching the cut in Millard's source, like Winston did.

Just to have a different perspective of that great, legendary show.

Believe it or not, I think I've actually found another source for LTTE. This video was just uploaded four days ago. I did a quick test and the intro on TSRTS is unmistakably from 6/21/77. The interesting thing is it doesn't sound like the alternate source. It sounds like this taper was closer to the stage. The recording is distorted and noisy, but it's still fairly listenable imo. I've never heard of any other source from this show apart from the Millard tape and the patch in Ten Years Gone. Has anyone else heard this source, or is this brand new?

3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Believe it or not, I think I've actually found another source for LTTE. This video was just uploaded four days ago. I did a quick test and the intro on TSRTS is unmistakably from 6/21/77. The interesting thing is it doesn't sound like the alternate source. It sounds like this taper was closer to the stage. The recording is distorted and noisy, but it's still fairly listenable imo. I've never heard of any other source from this show apart from the Millard tape and the patch in Ten Years Gone. Has anyone else heard this source, or is this brand new?

Incredible. I wonder if the taper is a forum member. I left a comment on the YouTube post asking why he waited so long to share it. That audience before the show, holy shit!!!! It's almost more intense than Millard's tape in terms of the frenzied energy of the anticipation of the crowd. Makes me think of Strider's story about the show. 

7 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

At last...another source! Sounds like he was in the cheap seats like me. Better late than never. It does sound like it runs a touch fast. But it's refreshing to hear this show without having to hear those assholes in the front row.

• Administrators

Great find. Description from the taper:

"This is my own recording of the epic opening night of Led Zeppelins' 6 night LA Forum run on June 21, 1977. It's from a small hand held recorder so quality varies. This show is generally considered one of Zeppelins' best shows ever. It is also the night that the most famous bootleg of Zeppelin "Listen to This Eddie" was recorded. My recording has some cuts and is missing several parts but there is almost 3 full hours of the show. One of my favorite parts is hearing (and remembering) the crowd going crazy when Bonzo started into Rock and Roll during the encore even thought it was 1:30 in the morning. The acoustic set was amazing and came out pretty good on the recording. What an amazing night! Still the best show that I've ever seen!"

5 hours ago, Strider said:

At last...another source! Sounds like he was in the cheap seats like me. Better late than never. It does sound like it runs a touch fast. But it's refreshing to hear this show without having to hear those assholes in the front row.

Hearing that crowd before the show gave me goosebumps, like reading your memory of the vibe before the show. It would be great to hear an azimuth adjusted , lossless transfer of this tape.  

This is a great find for sure!:) I did a check as well (guy yelling after final SA verse) and its crazy to hear this after so long. . He has heard of LTTE so why wait 40 years?? I hope he is on the forum or he can persuaded to share the story. . 

3 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Moby Dick is spliced in from Seattle '77 video soundtrack.

Yeah, I was only a half hour into the show when I posted last night and then I was drifting in and out of sleep the last hour and thought there was some weirdness going on with cuts and edits and such. The uploader said he used a handheld recorder and was able to record most of the show. He doesn't mention what types of tapes (C-60? C-90?) he used or how many he brought. I'm guessing he started getting short of tape around the end of "Kashmir" and was doing the best he could to conserve tape for "Stairway to Heaven" and the encore.

I seriously can't believe my luck that I happened to stumble upon this. I was just browsing Youtube and figured I'd search for any new bootlegs that had been uploaded there. I searched "Led Zeppelin" and sorted by most recent upload date and by video length (over 20 minutes). Since Youtube can sometimes take down this stuff due to copyright after only a few days, I wanted to see if anything new had been posted that hadn't yet been muted/blocked for copyright. I immediately found this and the video length jumped out at me. 2 hours and 56 minutes is shorter than usual for the full Millard tape. Even if they eliminated Stairway due to copyright (something that has been happening more and more recently), it'd still clock out to about 3 hours and 5 minutes. I clicked on it and saw the uploader's description saying that it was "[his] own recording". I quickly listened and realized that this was indeed a new source from 6/21. I did a comparison to the TYG patch and it sounded different.

I'm still in awe: a new, never before heard alternate source for LTTE! It doesn't sound too bad either. Like others have said, a little distant and overloaded but not too bad. I downloaded the audio from this upload and encourage others to do the same. You never know if Youtube will yank it down!

As for why the uploader did it now, it's anyone's guess. My theory is perhaps the 40th anniversary of this show maybe caused him to seek out his tape and upload it. Regardless, a big thanks to him for uncovering it!

5 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Moby Dick is spliced in from Seattle '77 video soundtrack.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Yeah, I was only a half hour into the show when I posted last night and then I was drifting in and out of sleep the last hour and thought there was some weirdness going on with cuts and edits and such. The uploader said he used a handheld recorder and was able to record most of the show. He doesn't mention what types of tapes (C-60? C-90?) he used or how many he brought. I'm guessing he started getting short of tape around the end of "Kashmir" and was doing the best he could to conserve tape for "Stairway to Heaven" and the encore.

I noticed this too. In addition, it cuts off right after Stairway. The encore is from an inferior copy of the Millard tape. It's a bit sped up and sounds way crappier than what I'm used to, but it's definitely Millard's tape. I also noticed the taper's recording happens to speed up towards the end of Stairway (and pitch up as well). I too think he must have been trying to preserve tape for Stairway, or else decided to skip the drum solo and noise solo. Perhaps he went for a bathroom/smoke/beer break and returned midway through Achilles, hence why the recording cuts back in the middle.

I still have yet to listen to it from start to finish, but it's still cool to have this, even if it isn't as good as the primary source. I really hope this taper shares a lossless transfer of the tape. If nothing else, it can serve as a better patch for TYG and the break after Kashmir on the Millard recording! :D

18 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Wow, that's an unexpected and incredible surprise! Nice find, thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

FWIW, I found a comment the guy made on the forum back in 2013 where he mentioned recording this show. It was the only comment he's ever made on the site and he hasn't visited since.

Well done ZepHead!! He's pretty cool about taping one of the greats. . slipping that in 4 years ago and now the show on Youtube. . Its funny Sathington's comment a few down about the hit and run and this guy never coming back to the forum:):):)

3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

FWIW, I found a comment the guy made on the forum back in 2013 where he mentioned recording this show. It was the only comment he's ever made on the site and he hasn't visited since.

I think it's really odd that Moby Dick from Seattle was spliced in, rather than use Millard's source, but the poster said he made a mistake and mixed up tracks on his itunes folder.  Hopefully it will get transferred properly, lossless and shared . The tape has great atmosphere even though it's inferior to Millard's tape. My favorite part was hearing the roar of the crowd.  Rock and Roll is way fast, it's a half step sharp!

gbauer has explained the mixup with the show being chopped up on his iTunes folder. He doesn't have a way to get his tape directly transferred to his computer at the moment. Hopefully, someone here or elsewhere will be able to help him go thru the steps necessary to convert it tp lossless files. Maybe Sue Dounim or Winston or blue congo?

Anyway, for years I have wondered about an alternate source. Many have asked why anyone would need another source since we have Millard's tape. I have no problem with Millard's tape when it comes to the music. But I always felt it didn't properly convey the sheer delirium of the audience during those Forum shows.

Millard typically was in the front rows where the VIPs and jaded music industry weasels would sit. They arrived late and left early and weren't as enthusiastic as the working-class crowd further back.

With this new source, you can finally hear why Led Zeppelin loved to play Los Angeles: The LOVE the audience gave back to Led Zeppelin was a tangible force. Now you can hear what I meant when I said "Kashmir" drove the crowd crazy or how "Going to California" had become a fan favourite rivaling "Stairway" in fan's affections.

This shows what I meant when I describe that week of Forum shows as a delirious weeklong party.

Fucking amazing how stuff like this can still pop up out of the blue fourty years after the fact, eh?

Listening to this source now...it doesn't seem to sound that bad...I mean, if this was one of the missing seven '77 shows instead, based on the sound quality we'd all be happier than pigs in poop right now!

And, yeah, the audience sounds absolutely fuckin' bonkers. No wonder Zeppelin considered L.A. a second home.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

gbauer has explained the mixup with the show being chopped up on his iTunes folder. He doesn't have a way to get his tape directly transferred to his computer at the moment. Hopefully, someone here or elsewhere will be able to help him go thru the steps necessary to convert it tp lossless files. Maybe Sue Dounim or Winston or blue congo?

Anyway, for years I have wondered about an alternate source. Many have asked why anyone would need another source since we have Millard's tape. I have no problem with Millard's tape when it comes to the music. But I always felt it didn't properly convey the sheer delirium of the audience during those Forum shows.

Millard typically was in the front rows where the VIPs and jaded music industry weasels would sit. They arrived late and left early and weren't as enthusiastic as the working-class crowd further back.

With this new source, you can finally hear why Led Zeppelin loved to play Los Angeles: The LOVE the audience gave back to Led Zeppelin was a tangible force. Now you can hear what I meant when I said "Kashmir" drove the crowd crazy or how "Going to California" had become a fan favourite rivaling "Stairway" in fan's affections.

This shows what I meant when I describe that week of Forum shows as a delirious weeklong party.

I PMd him here yesterday , encouraging him to contact Andy ( Winston) or I can point him to a couple other trustworthy people who will treat his tape with TLC. No reply back. I also commented on the YouTube video comments, but no response there either.  I look at it like if you're willing to share it, share it the best way possible. That's a gem of a historical document for Zep fans and it should be preserved properly. We will see. 

As much as I love Millard's tape, it's really fun to hear how raucous and elated the crowd is, the energy is just insane. They gave the band a banquet of joy and enthusiasm to feast off. Talk about Cosmic Energy...yay, BASH!!! 

16 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

Well done ZepHead!! He's pretty cool about taping one of the greats. . slipping that in 4 years ago and now the show on Youtube. . Its funny Sathington's comment a few down about the hit and run and this guy never coming back to the forum:):):)

:lol:

Better late than never, eh? ;)

Archived