New audience tape source for 6/21/77

porgie66

I thought this new discovery of the 6/21/77 tape that the taper recently shared on YouTube merits it's own thread here. Curious to see what some of the forum members who could help this gentleman with the transfer of his tape think about it. He states in the YouTube comments that he'd like to get a proper transfer to digital but he hasn't replied at all to my messages encouraging him to contact someone trustworthy and with integrity. There are several folks here that I can think of who would do the tape justice. I can understand why he chose to use YouTube as it's probably the easiest way to initially share it, but mp3s with a mixup of Moby Dick from Seattle is obviously not a great way to share this tape, if that's the intention. Several people including me have commented on YouTube and I pm'd him because he did make note of this tape several years ago here and he is a member of the forum. No reply yet.  I may be coming off too stridently though so I'm hoping to get a little objective perspective. 

I saw on Youtube that the taper said he was going to try to get it transferred and cleaned up via his son's junior college music audio class. I hope he reconsiders, because the tape is old and needs to be handled with proper care. The people at the college might not know the proper way to treat it. It does seem a little odd that he hasn't replied to your comments, but perhaps he's a bit hesitant about sharing it with others. The comments on his video are flooded with people asking him to PM them so that they can personally transfer his tape (or else refer to a friend of theirs who will do it). I think we need to be patient and just wait and see. Of course, we would all love to have a lossless transfer of the tape so that it can be cleaned up and remastered, but we also have to respect the taper's wishes. We can tell him the best way to preserve his tape, but we shouldn't try to bombard him too much (not saying that you're doing that, just speaking in general).

With regards to the tape itself, I finally listened from start to finish last night and it's pretty decent. Like Nutrocker said in the other thread, we'd be over the moon if this was a never before heard show. I agree with you that the tape has great atmosphere, perhaps superior to Millard's in that you can really hear the crowd going bonkers. The only drawbacks are an unfortunate cut that ends No Quarter, another cut that leaves off the beginning of Achilles, the mistaken splice with Over the Top from Seattle, and the fact that the tape seems to get quite overloaded and distorted during Achilles and Stairway. It also seems to suffer from speed fluctuations towards the very end. By the time Robert says goodnight, he sounds like a chipmunk! :lol:

Regardless, it's a pretty decent tape with a great sense of atmosphere, even if it is inferior to Millard's.

One thing I've been wondering about: could one possibly matrix this tape with Millard's? I know matrices are possible with a soundboard and audience recording, but what about two audience recordings layered on top of each other? The volume of this tape could be lowered enough to where you hear the roar of the crowd without it overwhelming the Millard tape. If done correctly, it could give a more well-rounded representation of the crowd that night and allow you to really feel 15,000+ screaming fans excited to see Zeppelin back for the first time in two years. It might get challenging for the last couple of songs when the speed fluctuations and distortion become hard on the ears, but what do others think? Is there a snowball's chance in hell of doing it?

The taper said he is going to have the master digitally transferred soon, and he was very appreciative of all the interest and positive comments.  :hurrah: He has actually returned to the Forum and has made a comment in the 6/22 thread.

Hopefully , good care will be taken with his tape,...it's such an awesome new discovery.  It truly renders the high voltage vibe in the arena that night. I agree, a matrix of the two audience source would be worth a try but I would think it would be very tricky to blend. It would most likely need to be majority Millard with maybe 10 to 15%  gbauer tape. But, for now it'll be a thrill to hear the tape losslessly transferred and speed corrected! 

Archived