Dallas 3-5-75

Tony Harden

I always thought the second night at Dallas was slightly better than the 4th, depending on what song you pick. I still have not heard a better live Sick Again and In My Time of Dying was another one that stands out. Stairway to Heaven too, now that I'm thinking about it.

I love both shows. They kinda grown on me during all those years, as did everything from 1975. The first night in it's 90 minutes incarnation was the fifth silver boot I acquired in 1990 (Berlin, Zürich 1980 , BBC 71, Fillmore 4/27 came first). Now we have both nights, I still prefer the first night for everything up to Kashmir. But the the next 2/3 from 3/5  is undoubtedly superior. The superb fidelity (probably the best from 75) OTHAFA and all the plantations  -not to mention  the reactions from Bonzo and Jonesy - make the first night a really no nonsense gathering with friends.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the 3-4 show, because back in the day it was the only soundboard from the US tour, but overall both Dallas shows are pretty mediocre.  3-4 has a brilliant OTHAFA and Kashmir, but sadly what sounds to be a great NQ is cut in all versions.  The 2nd half that surfaced with the "soundboard revolution" is very sloppy and mars the complete experience.  Overall the 3-5 show is probably better, but still pretty uninspired;  even NQ with some nice bells and whistles comes off as sluggish.  (And neither version of TU from these shows is on par with any of the West Coast versions.)  The recently revealed Fort Worth show is much better than both Dallas nights, mainly because of the level of spontaneity, very enjoyable.  

Stairway solo is especially beautiful, while some of the other solos and whole songs are energised and inspired by Plant's voice finally returning.

All of the west coast is really great as usual, especially LA and the instrumental part of the band didn't really decline much technically, only Jimmy a bit, others only in some of the energy, but it was more about the material and the variations in it at this point.

Still this show is very energetic, as are the LA shows and some from January and February are loved for the instrumental performance, but I think nothing surpasses Seattle 3/21 if you are looking for really great solid vocals, not even the LA shows and now we even got Seattle in soundboard. And No quarter is just so great, plus you got SIBLY and the band is fantastic, although some other places made more of an atmosphere and Robert was really good already for awhile at this point, so the band didn't fire that much, but it's still so great! 

Personally i love this show and the main reason , because i was there... And this was the last time i ever saw Led Zeppelin live. Every-time i listen to the soundboard recording , i re-live that glorious night.  Same goes for Albuquerque 1973. 

On 10/1/2017 at 5:19 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

Those Dallas shows kinda bore me for some reason. Even though the OTHAFA is highly regarded, it's still not my favorite from 75. I like the 3/3 show a little more due to Bonzo flexing.

+1

Thank you all so much who have replied.

There doesn't seem to be that many fans of the 3-5-75 show here.  We all have our favorites and even among a group of hardcore Zep fans a lot of it comes down to personal taste.

In a way it's kind of funny to me that many of you don't think much of the 3'5-75 show.  That may show what a Zep fan I am. 

Fred Astaire, err...Robert, probably described my feelings for the 3-5-75 show in the song WE'RE GONNA GROOVE, "...You just set my soul on fire."

Again, thank you all who replied.

Archived