The NBA 2017-2018 Thread

chef free

I'm going to my first basketball game of the 17-18 (pre) season tonight!  Warriors vs Kings, it's great to be back!

I excited for the new look of the Celtics, Thunder, Rockets, Cavaliers, and Lakers.  The NBA learned from all the injuries in last season's play offs to reduce the back to backs, so this years level of play is going to be pretty high!

Go Warriors!

No KD, no Green, no Iguadala, Klay and Steph didn't come back for the second half.  We got to see the rookies and they didn't disappoint!

Kevon Looney looked great, jumping higher than I've ever seen, it looks like he lost 20 lbs!

Jordan Bell had 10 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks!

Welcome to the most irrelevant regular season of the four major sports leagues. The NBA has a higher percentage of its teams in the playoffs than other leagues. The NBA is also where the higher seeded teams win more often than the high seeded teams in other leagues.

More teams in the playoffs, yet still less upsets and Cinderella stories.

This year everyone will still be chasing the Warriors. The contenders are the same teams it has been for the past few years...San Antonio, Houston, OKC, and Cleveland.

Below them are Boston, Washington, Toronto, Portland, Utah, and the ever-underachieving Buffalo Braves aka L.A. Clippers, who will fall apart as Blake Griffin's body continues to break down.

The Lakers will be fun to watch just to see every guard torch Lonzo Ball because of his asshole father. Their defense will be woeful again. At least Swaggy P is finally gone. But if they win 42 games it will be a miracle.

Warriors vs. Spurs, Thunder, Cavs, Rockets,  Spurs vs. Cavs, Thunder, Rockets, Thunder vs. Knicks, Rockets vs. Clippers, Rockets vs. Thunder, Celtics vs. Wizards...those are about the only regular season games that will be worth paying attention to this season.

The real games start tomorrow I believe  A double header, Cleveland hosts Boston and Houston goes to Golden St.   GS is favored by 9 1/2.  I am not up to speed on Houston's front line but they might have the best guard duo in the league with Harden and Chris Paul.  The Clippers are off the map now with his departure I would assume?  Reddick is gone.  Blake Griffin and De Andre are a couple  of forces down low so it may depend on their guards.  They do have Rivers and he is a good player.  No CPIII but good.  I expect the 76ers to really be improved and get in.  But in the end its likely to be Golden st and Cleveland again? Though Cleveland is less of a certainty than the Warriors.  Maybe Boston or the Wizards can knock them off?  The Wizards were one damn good team at home.  Rubio went to Utah.  The T Wolves have Wiggins and Teague, the former Hawk.  Boston has Horford the former Hawk who will help.  not sure how much compensation the Hawks got?  Going to go check on Dwight Howard and his supporting cast.  Not sure I am still a Clipper fan with CP gone. That sucks.  I hate the Rockets though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 11:37 AM, chef free said:

Anybody watch the Celtics and Lakers game?  It was a good one, Kyrie Irving was on it!  It looked like a trip back to the Eighties with those throw-back uniforms too!

9 hours ago, Anjin-san said:

Image result

Yes, I was watching. Unfortunately the wrong team won. 😝

On 10/13/2017 at 5:27 PM, chef free said:

I'm going to my first basketball game of the 17-18 (pre) season tonight!  Warriors vs Kings, it's great to be back!

I excited for the new look of the Celtics, Thunder, Rockets, Cavaliers, and Lakers.  The NBA learned from all the injuries in last season's play offs to reduce the back to backs, so this years level of play is going to be pretty high!

Go Warriors!

I feel bad for you  You pay God knows what for a ticket and Curry and Durant do not play and they get beat.  Were they just resting them?  I am sure or the sports wire would blow up if one were injured.  You really got swindled.  I feel bad for you.  I am disappointed the 76ers obviously allowed Lebron get into their heads.  They are young and very good.  Next time they play I expect it to be far closer.

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I feel bad for you  You pay God knows what for a ticket and Curry and Durant do not play and they get beat.  Were they just resting them?  I am sure or the sports wire would blow up if one were injured.  You really got swindled.  I feel bad for you.  I am disappointed the 76ers obviously allowed Lebron get into their heads.  They are young and very good.  Next time they play I expect it to be far closer.

Sheesh. That post from chef free that you responded to is almost two months old...it's from the preseason. Games don't count in the preseason.

I wish the Clippers would move back to Buffalo so as to give you another team to worry about and bicker with the local sports radio talking heads. Hehehe.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Sheesh. That post from chef free that you responded to is almost two months old...it's from the preseason. Games don't count in the preseason.

I wish the Clippers would move back to Buffalo so as to give you another team to worry about and bicker with the local sports radio talking heads. Hehehe.

Curry and Durant did not play last night and they played the Kings.  I did not assume a post would be that old?  

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I was commenting on an earlier game, Curry was "scheduled" for rest, Durant has an ankle sprain, they SHOULD HAVE rested him for the OKC game but no...

On 11/28/2017 at 4:01 PM, chef free said:

I was commenting on an earlier game, Curry was "scheduled" for rest, Durant has an ankle sprain, they SHOULD HAVE rested him for the OKC game but no...

So I learned. I see the Lakers took GS to overtime last night.  GS just getting lazy or were the starters out again?  I will have to go see the box score. The 76ers continue to get better.  Good young team on the rise and my pick to be in the finals within 3 years.

I checked and all the big guns were in the lineup.  Curry, Durant, Thompson.  Just complacent.  

On 11/30/2017 at 7:50 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So I learned. I see the Lakers took GS to overtime last night.  GS just getting lazy or were the starters out again?  I will have to go see the box score. The 76ers continue to get better.  Good young team on the rise and my pick to be in the finals within 3 years.

I checked and all the big guns were in the lineup.  Curry, Durant, Thompson.  Just complacent.  

32 minutes ago, chef free said:

Now Curry has a bad finger, Durant's ankle is tweaked, as is Thompson's, while both Iguadola and West have knee injuries...

And, unlike the last few years, the Lakers aren't entirely awful. They will still struggle to finish .500 but they show some signs of promise now that Nick Young is Golden State's problem now.

It's the Curse of Swaggy P. 😜

Archived