The NBA 2017-2018 Thread

chef free

On 4/21/2018 at 3:54 PM, chef free said:

You are picking the 76ers over Cleveland, Boston and Toronto?!?!  No way!  Maybe next year but not this year...

Well, at most, they would only have to play two of them - and, it must be said, it is indeed possible they could play none of them. Cleveland, Boston, and Toronto are getting proper series from Indiana, Milwaukee, and Washington respectively. (All three should win, but an upset or two is not impossible.)

In any case, congratulations to the Sixers - that was a dominant performance over the Heat.

22 hours ago, paplbojo said:

OKC is not a team in any meaningful sense of the word.

6 hours ago, chef free said:

I was thinking that exact same thing last night!

I "third" the motion. The front office went "all in" this year, and it is not working...

My predictions from early this season that the 76ers were a team on the rise were an understatement. With Curry possibly done for the season, Golden st is no cinch.  I like the sixers all the way in the East.  I am going to pick the winner of Utah and OKC to take Golden st the distance and if its indeed Utah, i think they might get to the finals.  I am not sold on lazy Houston.

11 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

My predictions from early this season that the 76ers were a team on the rise were an understatement. With Curry possibly done for the season, Golden st is no cinch.  I like the sixers all the way in the East.  I am going to pick the winner of Utah and OKC to take Golden st the distance and if its indeed Utah, i think they might get to the finals.  I am not sold on lazy Houston.

Utah looks impressive against OKC, but, as we were discussing above, OKC at the moment really stinks... If Curry isn't back soon, I think the Pelicans are going to give Golden St. everything they can handle next round - I still think the Warriors will get by them, but New Orleans was absolutely dominant against Portland. I share your doubts with Houston - with them, I'll believe it when I see it.

Things are looking good for the Sixers in the East. There are no guarantees in the playoffs, but things are lining up nicely for them.

On 4/25/2018 at 11:19 PM, ForEvermore said:

Utah looks impressive against OKC, but, as we were discussing above, OKC at the moment really stinks... If Curry isn't back soon, I think the Pelicans are going to give Golden St. everything they can handle next round - I still think the Warriors will get by them, but New Orleans was absolutely dominant against Portland. I share your doubts with Houston - with them, I'll believe it when I see it.

Things are looking good for the Sixers in the East. There are no guarantees in the playoffs, but things are lining up nicely for them.

Well I just learned that Curry is possible for game 1 and that means he is coming back.  More bad info I received.  I put $3 on a Philly vs Utah final. If that happens I win over $300.  For a lousy $3 its worth a shot.  I also took Philly vs GS.  $30 back for that.  I believe Utah is better all around than lazy ass Houston.  Harden has not been Harden.  Westbrooke is a beast.  OKC you say sucks.  But Westbrooke does not. He is to me the best player in the game now and that includes King James.  I would like to see the Celtics lose to Milwaukee.  I hate the Celtics.  Always have.  But Philly is my solid pick to win the East and I have not wavered on that since day 1.  I did pick Utah to win the series tonight.  Not sure they cover the 6.5 spread though. OKC will likely go down swinging.  Carmello is a disgrace.  Westbrooke will want out.  He is too good to be there.  

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well I just learned that Curry is possible for game 1 and that means he is coming back.  More bad info I received.  I put $3 on a Philly vs Utah final. If that happens I win over $300.  For a lousy $3 its worth a shot.  I also took Philly vs GS.  $30 back for that.  I believe Utah is better all around than lazy ass Houston.  Harden has not been Harden.  Westbrooke is a beast.  OKC you say sucks.  But Westbrooke does not. He is to me the best player in the game now and that includes King James.  I would like to see the Celtics lose to Milwaukee.  I hate the Celtics.  Always have.  But Philly is my solid pick to win the East and I have not wavered on that since day 1.  I did pick Utah to win the series tonight.  Not sure they cover the 6.5 spread though. OKC will likely go down swinging.  Carmello is a disgrace.  Westbrooke will want out.  He is too good to be there.  

Hey - I'm with you on Philly. They were my favorite team from childhood. I'm just glad they are relevant again - after Iverson left, it seemed like the front office just gave up. Once the Colangelos got on board, I knew we would eventually be OK.

Westbrook, when he is on, is a beast. But, Utah has been able to mostly contain him. I don't know what happened to Carmelo - he needed to leave NYC so much sooner...

9 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Hey - I'm with you on Philly. They were my favorite team from childhood. I'm just glad they are relevant again - after Iverson left, it seemed like the front office just gave up. Once the Colangelos got on board, I knew we would eventually be OK.

Westbrook, when he is on, is a beast. But, Utah has been able to mostly contain him. I don't know what happened to Carmelo - he needed to leave NYC so much sooner...

Rubio left early and OKC is still eliminated when I checked score in wee hours. So now maybe Westbrooke and Lebron should join forces?  Wouldn't that be something.  Anyway, I have $3 to make $232 if Philly meets Utah in final.  $3 on Philly to win it all.  Only pays $30.  What makes me gun shy is Curry.  He is coming back.  And as great as this young Philly team is, and they are the favorites in the East now, I am not sure they are deep enough yet to beat the likes of a healthy Golden st team.  I mean, Durant, Thompson, Green and Curry!  Scary good. Simmons is an animal.  Rookie of the year hands down and the best rookie in ages.  They did an article on the top 50 players of all time again in some paper. Rick Barry as it was pointed out did not play in an age where there was a 3 point line.  Now is there any fairness in saying all of these guy are better than him or West ?  Hell NO.  Lets take Barry's 70 point game and look at the film and give him 3 points on the shots he deserved them on.  Yikes.  And Jerry West's miracle shot at the Garden was a game winner. Not a two point tying basket. Along with DR J the 3 most underated guys in my era.

So how much trouble can the Pelicans create?  What they did to Portland is just crazy.  Imagine if they had Cousins!!!!  Next year they will.  Lebron will no doubt be a Laker or a Clipper or a member of the Thunder IMO.

The Toronto Raptors are the Washington Capitols of the NBA. Even when things line up for them, they can't help but choke.

With Boston and Cleveland holding 2-0 leads in their series, a Boston vs. Cleveland Eastern Conference Final appears inevitable. Which would put this Laker fan in the rare position of cheering for the Celtics.

Along with watching the Clippers fail, I also take enjoyment in watching Carmelo and Westbrook and Playoff P fail. See ya' OKC.

On 5/4/2018 at 5:58 AM, Strider said:

The Toronto Raptors are the Washington Capitols of the NBA. Even when things line up for them, they can't help but choke.

With Boston and Cleveland holding 2-0 leads in their series, a Boston vs. Cleveland Eastern Conference Final appears inevitable. Which would put this Laker fan in the rare position of cheering for the Celtics.

Along with watching the Clippers fail, I also take enjoyment in watching Carmelo and Westbrook and Playoff P fail. See ya' OKC.

More like the Washington Generals of the NBA and the worst 1 seed in history.  As for the 76ers I am sick over  this series.  Steven A Smith was there and he really let the 76ers coach have it and he is right. He said he has never seen a coach blow  the first 3 games of a series.  But he did. In game two with a  22 point lead 5 minutes before the half, he does not call time out but instead allows Boston to just have a clinic in 3 pt shots with the crowd gong nuts. Dumb ass went to the half up 4.  As Barkley then said, if they lose this game that will be the reason.  It was.  Yesterday, the dumb bastard has Simmons, his best player throwing the ball in at desperation time rather than have him catch the ball to try and win the game.  Embid was put out in no mans land at the baseline and top of the key rather where he should have been, in the damn paint.  

So now its 3-0.  But I tell you, someday a team is going to rally from 3-0 in the NBA.  Its been done 3 times in hockey, and once in baseball by the Red Sox.  The last time in the NBA that a team almost did it to my memory was Chicago vs the Pistons.  I forget which one had the 3-0 lead, as it was a semi final series and neither team won the title that year.  This 76ers team is better than Boston without Heyward who is out for the season.  If its going to happen, and someday it will, this series is perfect for it to happen in.  Must start by beating them tomorrow.  The sixers are 6 1/2 point favorites as I type.  I hope they wake up.  Its really pathetic.

PS, Strider, you may wish to not use the Capitals as an example.  They are about to dispose of the Penguins and are my pick to win it all.  We shall see

Well, at least the torture is over and we can get to the two series everyone knew and wanted from the beginning...Boston vs. Cleveland and Golden State vs. Houston. All the early rounds have been mostly dull and lacking in drama...especially the second round.

Toronto was definitely in the conversation for worst #1 seed in NBA history...1984 Philadelphia '76ers and 1994 Seattle SuperSonics are in the running, too.

Of course, Toronto's coach Casey just won some NBA Coach of the Year award...while Boston's Brad Stevens did not receive a single vote! The award was voted on by the coaches of the NBA, which shows you how dumb most coaches are...or jealous. Casey's reward for winning this award will be getting fired for his atrocious performance against Cleveland. That was unacceptable.

Aside from Cleveland, the teams in the East that were thought to be legit contenders were Toronto and Washington...with even some talk about Milwaukee. Philadelphia and Boston were thought to be a year away from serious contention before this season started.

But what this postseason has shown us is that in the Eastern Conference the window has just slammed shut on Toronto and Washington. As presently constituted, those teams are toast as far as being able to compete for a championship. They'll never rise above first- or second-round level with their current rosters and coaches.

The power in the East is now Boston, Philly, and whatever team Lebron is on. Milwaukee is merely the Utah of the East.

Imagine Houston getting to the Conference Finals without James Harden and Chris Paul? That's what Brad Stevens did with Boston this year. The fact that not a single coach would vote for him is pure idiocy and/or jealousy.

Christ, even Doc Rivers of the Clippers got a vote. WTF?

22 hours ago, Strider said:

Well, at least the torture is over and we can get to the two series everyone knew and wanted from the beginning...Boston vs. Cleveland and Golden State vs. Houston. All the early rounds have been mostly dull and lacking in drama...especially the second round.

The first round was much better!  This is not quite as boring as last year when the basketball injury Gods decided the playoffs, however!  Looking forward to a real battle between the Celtics and Cavs, but I don't think GS vs. Rockets will go 6, Houston just doesn't play much D...

1 hour ago, chef free said:

The first round was much better!  This is not quite as boring as last year when the basketball injury Gods decided the playoffs, however!  Looking forward to a real battle between the Celtics and Cavs, but I don't think GS vs. Rockets will go 6, Houston just doesn't play much D...

The Injury Gods may still decide these playoffs. Don't forget Boston is missing Kyrie Irving and Gordon Heyward. Just think how much extra juice the series would have if Kyrie was able to play against his old teammate Lebron?

On 5/11/2018 at 3:05 PM, Strider said:

The Injury Gods may still decide these playoffs. Don't forget Boston is missing Kyrie Irving and Gordon Heyward. Just think how much extra juice the series would have if Kyrie was able to play against his old teammate Lebron?

I have thought of that.  And Cousins when he goes back to the Pelicans.  How good can they be?  I have Golden st to beat Houston tomorrow.  Laid the hammer down on the Capitals and Warriors.  Parlayed

Game 1: Boston - 108 Cleveland - 83.

Once again...that's Brad Stevens, who got ZERO votes from his coaching peers. Even Doc fucking Rivers got a vote and his Clippers finished in 10th place, out of the playoffs. DOC FUCKING RIVERS. :slapface:

On 5/21/2018 at 9:35 AM, chef free said:

So far all six Conference Finals have been blow outs!  ( the second Celtics/Cavs game was a little closer until the end...) But, damn, this is as boring as last year's playoffs...

Yep. Until tonight's Houston @ Golden State tussle. At last a closely contested game.

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Strider said:

Game 1: Boston - 108 Cleveland - 83.

Once again...that's Brad Stevens, who got ZERO votes from his coaching peers. Even Doc fucking Rivers got a vote and his Clippers finished in 10th place, out of the playoffs. DOC FUCKING RIVERS. :slapface:

Crucial Game 5 tonight. Amazing what a difference home court can make. It's kind of maddening to see one of the best ever not get anything called against him. He doesn't need the help.. Goaltending, Traveling, Offensive fouls...? On King James.. Will never happen! I didn't watch a minute of game 4.  Knew the outcome well before the game even started.  

1 hour ago, the chase said:

Crucial Game 5 tonight. Amazing what a difference home court can make. It's kind of maddening to see one of the best ever not get anything called against him. He doesn't need the help.. Goaltending, Traveling, Offensive fouls...? On King James.. Will never happen! I didn't watch a minute of game 4.  Knew the outcome well before the game even started.  

I'm not surprised by the way the Eastern Conference is going. Boston is a young team without its two best players. Young players and bench players often play worse on the road than at home. So Boston won its home games and Cleveland won its home games as the respective role players for each team played better at home than on the road.

Lebron has taken the torch from Patrick Ewing as the most egregious traveler in the NBA. That's what Lebron really meant when he said "Five, six, seven..." at that Miami Heat circle-jerk. He meant the number of steps the NBA would let him get away with.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

I'm not surprised by the way the Eastern Conference is going. Boston is a young team without its two best players. Young players and bench players often play worse on the road than at home. So Boston won its home games and Cleveland won its home games as the respective role players for each team played better at home than on the road.

Lebron has taken the torch from Patrick Ewing as the most egregious traveler in the NBA. That's what Lebron really meant when he said "Five, six, seven..." at that Miami Heat circle-jerk. He meant the number of steps the NBA would let him get away with.

Again... what a difference home court makes.  The Celtics shot 36%, played some sloppy ball and still won by 13 points. You nailed it Sean. The Cleveland supporting cast disappeared tonight and Boston’s defense was fierce. 

Cavs and Dubs get the job done and it's on to game SEVEN!!!  First time in the 3-point era that both conference finals have both gone seven games! Can last year's champs pull it out for another rematch?

2 hours ago, chef free said:

Cavs and Dubs get the job done and it's on to game SEVEN!!!  First time in the 3-point era that both conference finals have both gone seven games! Can last year's champs pull it out for another rematch?

Even though both Conference Finals are going to a seventh game, the games themselves have not exactly been riveting. The first half of Game 5 the other night was some of the worst basketball I have ever seen, including the worst 2-on-1 fast break run since the Clipper teams of the '80s.

Archived