Did Plant ever write a song for / about Bonzo ?

kg723

Memory song is about Jimmy. So unless your Jimmy Page then it isn't about you.

LOL

But why throw in a "Jimmy!" aside from taunting he and Coverdale from opposite ends of the singles chart?

I've often wondered how much of a hand Jimmy had in writing the lyrics to Take Me For A Little While on the Coverdale/Page album.

To me, I think the words were written by Jimmy, but I could be wrong. To me, so much of it could be about Jimmy's feelings about LZ and directed towards Robert. Wasn't it in 93 that these songs came out, and around 95 that they did the MTV unledded thing and toured?

Here's the lyrics to Take Me For A Little While.

Now my days are growing cold,

All the memories unfold

Thinking 'bout the friends we lost,

Wondering how to count the cost,

Now my days are growing cold

I can hardly wait any longer,

Now the feeling's growing stronger

Thinking 'bout the times we had,

Good times always turn into bad,

Why don't you take me for a little while,

Sing me songs, you know, will make me smile

Why don't you take me for a little while

As I watch the rising sun,

I see a new day just begun

Thinking 'bout the sacrifice,

Wondering how to pay the price,

Now my world is growing cold

Sing me songs, you know, will make me smile, make me smile

Why don't you take me for a little while

So now my days are growing cold,

All my memories been told

Thinking 'bout the dreams we lost,

Wondering how to count the cost

Sing me songs, you know, will make me smile

Sing me songs, you know, will make, me make, me make, me smile

Sing me songs, you know, will make me smile.

Sing me songs, you know, will make, me make, me make, me smile.

Make me smile...

Sing me songs, you know, will make me, make me, make me smile.

Somebody take me, take me, won't you make me smile...

I think I remember David saying he was vaguely inspired by a Smokey Robinson single:

Tears of a Clown

Now if there's a smile on my face

It's only there trying to fool the public

But when it comes down to fooling you

Now honey that's quite a different subject

But don't let my glad expression

Give you the wrong impression

'Cause really I'm sad, oh I'm sadder than sad

Well I'm hurt and I want you so bad

Like a clown I appear to be glad, ooh yeah

Chorus

Well they're some sad things known to man

But ain't too much sadder than

The tears of a clown when there's no one around

The tears of a clown when there's no one around

Now if I appear to be carefree

It's only to camouflage my sadness

And honey to shield my pride I try

To cover this hurt with a show of gladness

But don't let my show convince you

That I've been happy since you

Decided to go, oh I need you so

Look I'm hurt and I want you to know

For others I put on a show

[chorus]

Just like Pagliacci did

I try to keep my surface hid

Smiling in the crowd I try

But in a lonely room I cry

The tears of a clown

When there's noone around

Now if there's a smile on my face

Don't let my glad expression

Give you the wrong impression

Don't let this smile I wear

Make you think that I don't care

Cos really I'm sad

That's why I always thought it was about Jimmy but I never interpreted the line: Prince of cool - are you lost without a crew? as sarcastic. I thought it was a genuine question from Robert to Jimmy because he knew how much Led Zeppelin meant to Jimmy.

When I first heard that line, I thought it was a little insensitive, given the circumstances of how the "crew" was lost. And it's a bit of an odd question to ask an only child who seemed to figure out how to be without a crew long before. I like your take on it, though.

Either way, "Prince of Cool" always turns into "Prince of Smiles" in my head. B)

Fannish musings, sorry. Its a beautiful song.

I believe 'Let The Four Winds Blow' COULD BE about John Bonham.

I think that, too. The really strong beat of the drums, and especially these lines:

Precious memory dies

Once again you are here at my side ...

And I'm back on the hill

Yes you've gone but you're with me still

Now I'm way down the line

Yes you're gone but you're still on my mind

Is that maybe the hill from Going to California? "Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams..." Like he's singing about finding himself back in that place where he used to stand with Bonzo.

Very powerful song, my favorite on that record.

And while we're at it - I think it's possible Somebody Knocking right before is about Jimmy, too... there's the part where Justin plays the gimbri and Robert calls out "come on come on come on" like he has done when Jimmy's playing guitar. In Knocking he sings "Casting your spell, talking all out of your head" and in "Four Winds" he sings "I've been walking with strangers and talking all out of my mind..." a call and response almost, like he knows they're two people of one mind. It's strange and really cool how those two songs merge together with a beat between them, like history passing.

And I'm back on the hill

Is that maybe the hill from Going to California? "Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams..." Like he's singing about finding himself back in that place where he used to stand with Bonzo.

Or perhaps this one from 'I Believe', written about ten years prior for Karac:

Big farm, on the top of a hill

A hopeless gesture and last farewell

I do like these interpretations.

QUOTE (MadScreamingGallery @ Dec 26 2007, 10:40 AM)

That's why I always thought it was about Jimmy but I never interpreted the line: Prince of cool - are you lost without a crew? as sarcastic. I thought it was a genuine question from Robert to Jimmy because he knew how much Led Zeppelin meant to Jimmy.

When I first heard that line, I thought it was a little insensitive, given the circumstances of how the "crew" was lost. And it's a bit of an odd question to ask an only child who seemed to figure out how to be without a crew long before. I like your take on it, though.

Either way, "Prince of Cool" always turns into "Prince of Smiles" in my head.

Fannish musings, sorry. Its a beautiful song.

Thanks. I am pondering your interpretation. Maybe I view the relationship between Jimmy and Robert through rose-colored glasses? I don’t know what transpired between the two in the late 70’s through 90’s – I only had small and infrequent glimpses dating from the early to mid ‘70s and, based upon those, I just never imagined that Robert would have it in him to pen something insensitive about Jimmy. Many of the things that occurred post-Zep might have changed that; a different sort of person might have indeed responded with sarcasm or insensitivity but I just didn't see that in Robert. I do tend to seek the good in people so I can’t say with any certainty. Perhaps someone on the board who has firsthand about the dynamic between the two during that post-Zep era can enlighten us.

Might the only child have finally found the brother(s) he never had in the crew and, because of that, the loss of that crew was especially tragic for him?

Aw, “Prince of Smiles” :D

No apology needed. Fans are entitled to their fannish musings.

I think that, too. The really strong beat of the drums, and especially these lines:

Precious memory dies

Once again you are here at my side ...

And I'm back on the hill

Very powerful song, my favorite on that record.

That's a beautiful interpretation.

Agreed.

Could the hill be a certain hill on Robert's farm that the family spent a lot of time one?

Thanks. I am pondering your interpretation. Maybe I view the relationship between Jimmy and Robert through rose-colored glasses? I don’t know what transpired between the two in the late 70’s through 90’s – I only had small and infrequent glimpses dating from the early to mid ‘70s and, based upon those, I just never imagined that Robert would have it in him to pen something insensitive about Jimmy. Many of the things that occurred post-Zep might have changed that; a different sort of person might have indeed responded with sarcasm or insensitivity but I just didn't see that in Robert. I do tend to seek the good in people so I can’t say with any certainty. Perhaps someone on the board who has firsthand about the dynamic between the two during that post-Zep era can enlighten us.

I am glad to look at it from a different, more gentle POV. (I tend to look at people through smoky grey bullet-proof glass, LOL...)

Perhaps it's another situation where his words are too easily mis-interpreted by us quick-to-judge kinds.

Might the only child have finally found the brother(s) he never had in the crew and, because of that, the loss of that crew was especially tragic for him?

Yes, for sure. :'( But then, maybe that's why it can be seen as an insensitive thing to ask?

Aw, “Prince of Smiles”

No apology needed. Fans are entitled to their fannish musings.

That's a beautiful interpretation.

Thank you.

Me, three.

The thing about Four Winds that strikes me is the strong drum beat, and how quickly it follows Somebody Knocking… there’s a connection there having to do with music, I think.

Though really it’s a song about any kind of loss, about giving in to the vagaries of fate, letting the winds blow through your heart, and just keepin’ on.

I always thought Somebody Knocking was Robert taking a bunch of well-known blues phrases and stringing them together but I could be wrong.

Me too.

But maybe we could be both wrong.

Well, you know, sometimes words have two meanings... ;)

He did that at the start of Zeppelin, too, string words from old songs together to Jimmy's music. The two of them have that love of old blues, as well as going off into the wilds of northern Africa to find the music's roots, in common.

Are "tears, tears at the water's edge" not a direct reference to the stream which runs thru that same property, as featured in TSRTS? (speculation!)

Wow, yeah.

Hills and water are also often used as metaphors, though. Water is very often a spiritual metaphor for change... think of travelling across the river Styx...

Here endeth the English Lit lesson... :)

I remember reading on the old board that -slow dancer was a song appreciating -john bonham, but not necessarily about -john bonham....have never really followed that song lyrically or thought what it was about, so i really dont know.

Interesting. I didn't know that. It's a beautiful song but I never thought to connect the lyrics to John Bonham.

I am glad to look at it from a different, more gentle POV. (I tend to look at people through smoky grey bullet-proof glass, LOL...)

Perhaps it's another situation where his words are too easily mis-interpreted by us quick-to-judge kinds.

Yes, for sure. :'( But then, maybe that's why it can be seen as an insensitive thing to ask?

Hmm. I'm still pondering this one because Robert does say, "You are my friend." I always thought that, at least back in their hell-raising days, they were friends. I never thought of Robert as someone who would deliberately say something insensitive to Jimmy. But, what do I really know? Perhaps I am only seeing him as he wants others to see him. We're back to that carefully crafted image. :huh:

And Carouselambra...

concerns Karac and Page.

Yes. Page not only was a no show at Karac's funeral, he essentially failed (or chose not) to acknowledge it at all, hence "Where was your word, where did you go?

Where was your helping, where was your bow? Bow."

Yes. Page not only was a no show at Karac's funeral, he essentially failed (or chose not) to acknowledge it at all, hence "Where was your word, where did you go?

Where was your helping, where was your bow? Bow."

You do mean failed to acknowledge the funeral, not the loss as such, right? He did put Led Zeppelin on immediate and indefinate hiatus, which to I take as an acknowledgment of the loss, albiet in an arguably perfunctory manner.

You do mean failed to acknowledge the funeral, not the loss as such, right? He did put Led Zeppelin on immediate and indefinate hiatus, which to I take as an acknowledgment of the loss, albiet in an arguably perfunctory manner.

Yes, I can only speak to the funeral. Although I have heard other things from people, but I won't presume to speak on what I cannot personally qualify or what's been told to me "off the record". As for putting Led Zeppelin on immediate and indefinite hiatus, I can hardly see that he a choice in the matter. But yes, I meant the funeral, because that's a fact and not an interpretation of how someone felt about things at the time. :beer:

ITTOD has some very interesting lyrics

what is it plant sings right before he wails 'I don't know the reason why' in I'm Gonna Crawl.

If I always try to please/ I gave my oldest child please?

"Carouselambra"

How keen the storied hunter's eye prevails upon the land

To seek the unsuspecting and the weak;

And powerless the fabled sat, too smug to lift a hand

Toward the foe that threatened from the deep.

Who cares to dry the cheeks of those who saddened stand

Adrift upon a sea of futile speech?

And to fall to fate and make the 'status plan'

Where was your word, where did you go?

Where was your helping, where was your bow? Bow.

If that is about page it does seem interesting, might even speak to the reticense of Plants unwillingness to tour or give jimmy led zeppelin again.

I read somewhere Plant felt like he was working for jimmy during the unleaded time. If LZ is Page's band, and Plant would feel the same way, he would probably be most likely to leave the concert a one off and do his own thing, imho.

Archived