Did Plant ever write a song for / about Bonzo ?

kg723

B) Please stay with us!

FWIW Bilbo I agree with what you think about that song too! It always seemed as apropos to Bonzo as to Karac.

I must admit I thought about Karac too, but it I just got a feeling it was meant for John. Funny, as of late I've gone back over some of the Zep books I have and looked specifically for entries regarding Robert and Bonzo's relationship. Some of the stories are really funny, they were such good friends, Bonzo was an especially good mate to Robert when Robert needed him the most.

FWIW, I always felt there was a general element of sadness strewn across Robert's 'Pictures At Eleven.' In particular, Moonlight In Samosa - one of my favorite Plant solo songs BTW - was quite melancholy (although not necessarily about Bonzo).

My favorite song off Pictures At Eleven. Beautiful, eloquent and yes, very melancholy.

Bilbo and Knebby- regarding for your thoughts on Four Winds Blow, my immediate reaction was it had to do with Bonzo but now I'm reading over the lyrics again and indeed I can see what you're saying and that it could also apply to Karac. Adds a whole new meaning to listening to the song.

I think that Colours of a Shade is a hauntingly beautiful song. It seems to be more about Karac than Bonzo. But would include Bonzo since the song is about surviving hell.

The day was old - the light was dim, as I stepped through the door

And all my friends were gathering that day that I recall

I shivered and shook, Lord I stood just waiting to chase the fall

I wondered how my time would be when spring comes round once more

I face the wind - I have no choice, but you must guard the heart

And cast adrift from those I love, alone I drag my heart

Against the cry of "why?" I turn my back to go

But out beyond the tears somewhere, someone I need to know

It's only love, in the colours of the shade

Old photographs were fading dim - my seed will tell it all

And by the fathers' fathers' hands such pain on all was raw

They read the signs without surprise of how they knew it well

And in the mirror still I see the man, who came from hell

It's only love and the colours of the shade

I think that Colours of a Shade is a hauntingly beautiful song. It seems to be more about Karac than Bonzo. But would include Bonzo since the song is about surviving hell.

I love that song too. One of my favorites from the album. I never thought about the song as being about the loss of Karac or Bonzo. Struck me more about the pain of lost love in terms of a relationship.

Sorry for the delay, but things have been so hectic. Anyway, I've finally had a chance to review the lyrics to The Memory Song (used a Google engine search for Memory Song lyrics) and I still am convinced Robert wrote that about me. Thx, K

Sorry for the delay, but things have been so hectic. Anyway, I've finally had a chance to review the lyrics to The Memory Song (used a Google engine search for Memory Song lyrics) and I still am convinced Robert wrote that about me. Thx, K

:cheer:

You should have been posted it on The Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones thread

:huh:

Sorry, SAJ....I just couldn't help it. :ph34r:

Let the Four Winds Blow is a beautiful song too. It's about Karac and if you really listen to it, you hear the story of Robert's recovery. I've never listen to I Believe all the way through, but I'm listening to it now.

I think it's also about his father , who passed on right before MR. It seems to sum up all the losses in his life to me.

On the subject of Robert Hilburn briefly...

I used to read the LA Times Calendar section every Sunday back in the 70s and 80s. Robert Hilburn was villified by rock acts. They weren't his cup of tea and he took a piss on the genre anytime he was assigned to report on them. He so soundly trashed Van Halen's 5150 album that the following night, Sammy Hagar told the crowd about it and gave the audience Hilburn's home phone number! I don't miss Hilburn a bit.

Archived