Plant on Stern - 10/17/17?

Walter

Well slap my ass and call me Susan, I really thought this was a goof and that it would be some joker pretending to be old Robert. Good for Percy as it seemed he set definite ground rules beforehand and refused to take any shit.

Plant on Stern...maybe a full on Zeppelin reunion is a possibility as I figured the latter would happen long before the former and I had zero hope on the latter.

Great interview. Only had audio showing Mr Stern obviously has a friendly disarming way about him and knew his facts. I think what came over about Robert and Led Zeppelin was that creating the work was spontaneous. I thought the respect for the music came over very well. Stern came over as a fan. Robert easily handled the more out there bits. Did Robert refer to himself as Percy as that made me giggle.

Don't laugh but I would love Robert to write a book on his love of the post Roman era. I suspect he really knows his stuff.

"I've got a new album out you know" What a prick that Stern bloke is going over all the old shit Robert clearly would rather not have talked about, (the Bonzo bits aside) a fucking hour to get to the point. 10 out of 10 to RP for remaining so polite..

Robert Plant Talks Losing John Bonham, Meeting Elvis Presley, and the Prank Led Zeppelin Once Pulled on The Who

Rock legend’s new album “Carry Fire” is available now

Oct. 17, 2017  

55-42664-robert-plant-studio-101717-headPhoto: The Howard Stern Show
55-39649-deep-link-button-1490360866.png

Howard welcomed one of the greatest voices in rock and roll into the Stern Show studio for the first time on Tuesday morning — the one and only Robert Plant. As the lead singer of Led Zeppelin, Plant and his band sold hundreds of millions of records and influenced not just their own generation but countless fans who’ve listened to their music throughout the years.

Check out the highlights from Howard and Robert’s wide-ranging interview (below), including what it was like to meet his idol Elvis Presley, the prank Led Zeppelin once pulled on The Who, and what fans can expect from his new album “Carry Fire,” available now.

Elvis Has Entered the Building

55-42666-elvis-presley-robert-plant-postPhoto: Shutterstock

Music was an interest of Plant’s from a very early age and he recalled for Howard how he would pretend to be rock superstar Elvis Presley as a kid growing up in England.

“I didn’t know what he danced like, to be honest. I just knew the voice … it just was celestial,” Robert said, explaining he had no access to video of Elvis’s moves — he could only hear his music on the radio.

Fast forward a few years to Led Zeppelin hitting it big and actually catching the King’s attention. “He knew that we were selling tickets faster than him and he wanted to know what kind of phenomenon this was,” Robert told Howard.

The band was invited to meet with Elvis at his Los Angeles hotel room — Presley was staying in the royal suite on the top floor. Robert can still recall how the room slowly but surely filled with female fans who all seemed to resemble the actress Sandra Dee.

“When the room was suitably full … when the room was buzzing with anticipation, the door opened and this guy just, I don’t know what the word is. It’s not sashay, it’s not slink … he just grooved his way through the people,” Robert said.

Despite worshipping Elvis in his youth, Robert told Howard he wasn’t nervous on the night he met him. Rather, he remembers them standing around his hotel room for hours, talking about music.

As for whether Robert and Led Zeppelin ever hosted their own sumptuous fan meet-and-greets, Plant told Howard they were more likely to just avoid people altogether.

Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner

55-42667-roger-daltrey-robert-plant-postThe Who's Roger Daltrey in 1969Photo: Shutterstock

Some of the most celebrated albums in rock history were released in 1969, including the Beatles’ “Abbey Road,” the Rolling Stones’ “Let It Bleed,” the Who’s “Tommy,” and the massively successful “Led Zeppelin II.” After Howard brought up “Tommy,” Robert recalled a prank he and his bandmates once pulled on the Who way back when.

“I looked a little bit like Roger Daltrey but a bit taller,” Robert said of the Who’s lead singer with a laugh. “Sorry, Roger.”

After seeing the Who live at a New York concert, Robert admitted he and Led Zeppelin left before the encore and wound up at the famed restaurant Max's Kansas City. Turns out that’s where the Who was scheduled to eat after their show.

“We walked in the door and they said, ‘Wow, you’re early,’” Robert continued. “And we said, ‘Yeah, yeah it was an early show.’ So we went in and ate all the band’s food and ran away.”

Howard wondered if Zeppelin ever felt competitive with the Who or any of the other big rock acts of the day, but Robert explained they were all just “kids” who hadn’t any time to think about matters like that.

Losing John Bonham

In 1975, Robert and his then wife Maureen were involved in a serious car wreck while visiting Greece. “I was in a wheelchair for seven months,” Robert told Howard, adding that his injuries put Zeppelin’s plans for a seventh studio album on hold.

Though the accident could have killed him, it gave Robert a new perspective on how precious his life is. “Why waste a second of time after that?” he said on Tuesday.

Living life to the fullest meant avoiding doing drugs for Robert. “Drugs, I have no interest in … It got in the way of joy,” he told Howard.

However, Zeppelin’s drummer John Bonham, often regarded as the greatest drummer who ever lived, struggled with substance abuse and addiction throughout the band’s history. In 1980, Bonham died in his sleep after a full day of heavy drinking. Rather than replace him, Zeppelin ultimately decided to break up

“He was my brother,” Plant said of Bonham. “He was a loose cannon but he was a spectacular guy.”

During the 2012 Kennedy Center Honors, the band Heart performed “Stairway to Heaven” live in tribute to Led Zeppelin, whose three surviving members were being honored. Joining them on stage behind the drum kit was John’s son Jason Bonham. The performance (above) brought tears to Robert’s eyes as he watched from his seat in the audience.

“What it was was his boy was playing drums,” he told Howard. “I thought, all those years later, you know, that it was just one ridiculous loss.”

Phil Collins in the Hot Seat

55-42668-phill-collins-drumming-header-7Phil Collins in concert in 2004Photo: PRPhotos

With Led Zeppelin deciding to disband, Robert set out on a solo career beginning with 1982’s “Pictures at Eleven.” His second solo studio album “The Principle of Moments” came just a year later and Robert told Howard he was approached by Phil Collins with an offer to play drums on the record.

“He loved John Bonham so much, he said, ‘You need someone in the hot seat and I want to do it,’” Robert recalled.

He credits Phil with helping him “dig out of the pit” following the death of his friend. Collins played drums on six of the album’s eight tracks including the hit song “In the Mood.”

Plant Can ‘Carry Fire’

55-42669-robert-plant-with-fur-header-hsPhoto: The Howard Stern Show

October marked the release of Robert’s 11th solo studio album “Carry Fire.” To be making music more than 50 years after Led Zeppelin’s first record is no surprise for Plant — the thrill of being a rock star is far from gone.

“I love everything that I do now. Otherwise, you know, I’d be growing vegetables somewhere,” Robert said. “This is no struggle, mate. This is all I want to do.”

Howard thanked Robert for coming in and told him how much it meant to sit with him as a lifelong Led Zeppelin fan.

“I’ve got another record coming out in three years. I’ll be back,” Robert replied.

Robert Plant’s new album “Carry Fire” is available now. Go to RobertPlant.com for more info.

https://www.howardstern.com/show/2017/10/17/robert-plant-talks-losing-john-bonham-meeting-elvis-presley-and-prank-led-zeppelin-once-pulled-who/

What a fucking GREAT interview. How could you ask for more????

Like SAJ said - and I thought fair enough - as if he was going on Howard Stern.

BUT HE DID.

And KILLED it.

Handled the majority focus on Led Zep with total class. The few times he let frustration sneak through it was controlled and through Percy's good grace and Howards excited bouncing ever onward, it WORKED.

I honestly have a much deeper respect for Robert for hearing this interview and how courteous and respectful Robert was even when he could easily have challenged and broken the flow.

A great interviewer - cmon guys, give the props to Howard, even if you generally don't like his style, he was good.

A great guest - took all the direction and questions and did NOT duck and weave, but ENGAGED. Well done sir!

17 hours ago, Monty99211 said:

Percy did not want to put up with Stern's inane, senseless questions, at one point actually asking "I got up early for this?"  And that was one of the gentler comments.

If your interested, you can follow the listener comments on this Stern related forum.

http://radiogunk.com/forums/index.php?threads/10-17-17-whole-lotta-cock-tober-left-thss-official-mockery-thread.14190/page-8

OMG, and I thought Zeppelin fans on Zeppelin forums were overly negative about Zeppelin!  Every single poster on that forum hates Howard!  I hope Stern never reads it, much in the same way I hope Jimmy doesn't read Zep forums or YouTube comments!

1 hour ago, mstork said:

OMG, and I thought Zeppelin fans on Zeppelin forums were overly negative about Zeppelin!  Every single poster on that forum hates Howard!  I hope Stern never reads it, much in the same way I hope Jimmy doesn't read Zep forums or YouTube comments!

That Howard Stern forum makes the comments on 4Chan look like complex adult debate. Are all the posters 9 years old or something?

56 minutes ago, 76229 said:

That Howard Stern forum makes the comments on 4Chan look like complex adult debate. Are all the posters 9 years old or something?

I don't know if it's American's or just NY'ers but they like to complain a lot. I've played with a few Ny'ers in various bands and they're not that stereotypical tough that you hear about,  they just bitch and moan about everything.

Yeah, the East Cost NYC mindset is pretty bleak.... it's an affect. I LOVED the interview from the point of view that Howard is just a simply INSANE Zeppelin fan like most of us. His love for the band coupled with his "everyman" ignorance certainly grates on the conversation, but Plant handled it masterfully! Busting Howard's balls appropriately and not taking it all so seriously was a winning combo for Robert. The casualness of the Zep rise to prominence and Robert's "I want to SING!" stories were precious. RP is the real deal and a self effacing gentleman through and through. LOVED it all even though I wanted to tell Howard many times "SHUT UP! SIT DOWN!", but he's been hearing that for 60 years.....

RP's awesomeness aside, did any one get the impression that he's missing some teeth? Did I miss something? Did he? Was it how he was miked? Anyway.....

6 minutes ago, BUK said:

Yeah, the East Cost NYC mindset is pretty bleak.... it's an affect. I LOVED the interview from the point of view that Howard is just a simply INSANE Zeppelin fan like most of us. His love for the band coupled with his "everyman" ignorance certainly grates on the conversation, but Plant handled it masterfully! Busting Howard's balls appropriately and not taking it all so seriously was a winning combo for Robert. The casualness of the Zep rise to prominence and Robert's "I want to SING!" stories were precious. RP is the real deal and a self effacing gentleman through and through. LOVED it all even though I wanted to tell Howard many times "SHUT UP! SIT DOWN!", but he's been hearing that for 60 years.....

RP's awesomeness aside, did any one get the impression that he's missing some teeth? Did I miss something? Did he? Was it how he was miked? Anyway.....

He's definitely developed a lisp. It's apparent on at least one of the tracks on the album too. Sounds like he's having problems adjusting to dentures...

Great to hear RP talk intelligently about all of these subjects but I can't stand how Howard forces tangents and interrupts when RP is about to complete a point. I don't like his rhythm as an interviewer. I'm glad Plant was able to redirect the subject a few times. I loved hearing him talk candidly about Bonzo. All in all, Plant was very good natured throughout. 

9 hours ago, woz70 said:

He's definitely developed a lisp. It's apparent on at least one of the tracks on the album too. Sounds like he's having problems adjusting to dentures...

Robert had implants put in around 74' I believe. In TSRTS you can tell he has a seriously jacked grill, rotten teeth. Then in pictures starting in 75' he is smiling showing his teeth for the first time on purpose and he has perfect teeth. Those baby's must have cost him a small fortune back then but either way he has not had his original teeth since around 1974. Also, if he has implants he would never get dentures. The only people I know in this day who have dentures are generally poor people who cannot afford implants.

So I have no clue why Robert would have a lisp now but I guarantee it is not from dentures.

Did long term fans know about Robert's Granddad playing piano for the local silent movie theatre(think that is what he meant) Also on the Danny Baker show about his Dad painting fine art. Loved the interview only wish Mr Stern had let Robert finish his points at times. Good interview though. Robert held his ground beautifully.

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

Robert had implants put in around 74' I believe. In TSRTS you can tell he has a seriously jacked grill, rotten teeth. Then in pictures starting in 75' he is smiling showing his teeth for the first time on purpose and he has perfect teeth. Those baby's must have cost him a small fortune back then but either way he has not had his original teeth since around 1974. 

He had SOME work done in '74 but it isn't as if all his teeth were replaced. By the way, in July 2005 he popped one of his dental crowns while dining at Kokkari Restaurant in San Francisco. Although Kokkari co-owner Kenny Frangadakis had a dentist office in Cupertino, he referred Robert to Dr. Michael Fox's office in Laurel Village as it was much closer than his. 

1 hour ago, anniemouse said:

Did long term fans know about Robert's Granddad playing piano for the local silent movie theatre (think that is what he meant) 

Robert has also mentioned (in 1989) his Grandfather performed in a group called The Dudley Port Drinking Band.

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

He had SOME work done in '74 but it isn't as if all his teeth were replaced. By the way, in July 2005 he popped one of his dental crowns while dining at Kokkari Restaurant in San Francisco. Although Kokkari co-owner Kenny Frangadakis had a dentist office in Cupertino, he referred Robert to Dr. Michael Fox's office in Laurel Village as it was much closer than his. 

Sorry, I think I went a bit over the top. A more accurate report would be most of his molars were either replaced with implants or ground down and crowned while he kept most of his incisors which were capped with veneers.

Thanks for that piece of trivia there, Kokkari is a funky restaurant, Japanese-Greek fusion. Went there once, was not a fan but to each their own.

On 17/10/2017 at 7:13 PM, SteveAJones said:

Probably the most exciting thing Robert Plant will do this year, given the new album is so unremarkable. 

YAWN ad infinitum!!!! And the "expert" doubted the accuracy.

8 hours ago, ledded1 said:

YAWN ad infinitum!!!! And the "expert" doubted the accuracy.

Unsure who you are quoting as I've never referred to myself as that. I have however heard Plant to appear on Howard Stern's show rumors for at least three decades, so please excuse my initial skepticism. I stand by my assertion that the new album is a snooze.

Howard briefly discussing his interview with Robert at 11:30 in the clip below:

Archived