Is Judas Priest the Metal Zeppelin

McSeven

When Judas Priest came on the scene.  They almost came off like Zep.  Then they donned leather and became the band that is the Flagship of Metal.  

Whats your take on Zep and Judas Priest similarties of differences.

I'll be a tad more charitable...up to and including "Killing Machine" they grew organically and didn't really have a set formula...however with the addition of Dave Holland and starting with British Steel the albums started to sound the same thematically and production wise....I don't think you can accuse Zeppelin of the same thing.

I liked the first album (Rock a Rolla ?) way back when, but there output since is not my cup of tea at all, Halford's vocals in particular are painful.. So are they the Metal Zeppelin ? There is no such thing, so no..

Ok, so sometime in the early '80s, me and a mate were outside a Judas Priest gig at Sheffield City Hall, trying and failing to persuade these girls not to bother going in to the gig on the grounds that
Priest were unutterable shite and they should come out with us instead...
Some bloke with a camera appeared out of the crowd and asked us to step back for a minute - whereupon, in a somewhat unexpected development, Rob Halford drove up through the milling throng on a motorbike,
stopped 3ft away, got off the bike with the words 'Excuse me, gentlemen'  and walked away while that bloke with the camera filmed the whole thing!?
Funny old world...

Never liked Judas Priest. I always thought they were heavy music for people who didn't like errr heavy music. I did actually, to my immense embarrassment, have in my collection "Unleashed in the East"  but hey what else could I buy in WH Smiths ( or it could have been Boots) with a record token in 1979? The only good thing to come out of that band was KK Downing who retired to open a Golf Course. No, I haven't played it

6 hours ago, McSeven said:

When Judas Priest came on the scene.  They almost came off like Zep.  Then they donned leather and became the band that is the Flagship of Metal.  

Whats your take on Zep and Judas Priest similarties of differences.

Priest has no similarities with Zep. They do have much in common with Sabbath. They took what Sabbath was doing & ran with it. Halford has even said that in interviews.

I do agree that their earlier albums are the best, they got caught up in the 80's with trying to appeal to MTV, can't blame them.  They had some solid tracks here & there, overall I do dig them. I saw them back when Halford had hair.

Well in one way they were a metal  Zep, as "Unleashed in the East" is totally over the top, as Zep. But like 98% of

any genre of metal, noone is jamming alternate parts or playing on the edge of chaos which Zep did, which

requires virtuosos to pull off. And Priest did fall into.a formula, not Zep., so not a metal Zep.

I like Priest but I don't think you can compare them to Zeppelin. I really enjoy their first four albums (Rocka Rolla through Stained Class), as well as Unleashed in the East (overdubs notwithstanding), but beyond that their output gets much more hit and miss for me. I really wish they had continued down the dark, progressive route that they had laid out instead of trying to embrace a radio-friendly sound. I personally think British Steel is one of the most overrated albums ever. The songs are nice and catchy but it's nowhere near their best work.

As others have said, they also didn't really jam out that much or push the envelope live. For the most part, their songs were performed pretty much the same way night after night. The lone exception was when they played Genocide:

1 hour ago, Stryder1978 said:

I was a HUGE Priest fan until "Turbo".  I still list "Unleashed in the East" (Japanese import version) as my favorite "Live" album of all time.  

They more than made up for Turbo and Ram It Down with Painkiller.

Unleashed is in my top Live Albums list too.. Behind DP's Made In Japan, UFO's Strangers In The Night and Rainbow On Stage  

JP have made some mistakes, but it was always done in the spirit of progress.

Plus, they opened for Led Zeppelin at The Day On The Green shows in 77.. Pretty cool.   

I love Priest, but I'm not sure how to answer the question, or what it even means, to be honest.  As others have noted, they tended to play the songs live as they appeared on album (I believe Tipton has said in interviews he didn't like when bands played studio songs completely differently on stage).  So on that basis, I'd say "no".  Although, like the best metal bands, they have a lot more versatility than they're given credit for, so "maybe"?

13 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I love Priest, but I'm not sure how to answer the question, or what it even means, to be honest.  As others have noted, they tended to play the songs live as they appeared on album (I believe Tipton has said in interviews he didn't like when bands played studio songs completely differently on stage).  So on that basis, I'd say "no".  Although, like the best metal bands, they have a lot more versatility than they're given credit for, so "maybe"?

Yep, in fact they even brought this up (playing note for note from the album live) in the JP semi-autobiography Rock Star. However it was the other way around. The Tipton character wanted to play the songs differently live and Wahlberg's character had a fucking cow about it. Yelled at him during a performance. I thought it was funny as hell, I mean, he was the replacement singer and he is screaming at the guy who founded the damn band. Priceless. Ps. Here is your pink slip sunshine.

As was mentioned above, all the JP albums up to Stained Class were pretty damn good but I would include up to Point of Entry as well. The first four JP albums were the best with Sad Wings of Destiny and Sin After Sin being my favorites.

Ps. Is it just me or does Beyond the Realms of Death sound almost, note for note, like Styx Suite Madame Blue? Talk about a strange influence plus they never credited Styx in the credits. This is one of the most blatant musical rip offs I have ever heard. Even Halford's delivery during the whole of the beginning is exactly the same as Dennis's in SMB. Either way, I like both songs.

Archived