John Davis is "Mastering" Led Zeppelin

Wolfman

More than likely a re mastering of the Atrocious offering that was How the west was won.

Not sure 35 minutes of Dazed and Confused from 1975 ( snooze) would fit in these days and was EC "underwhelming" ?

Maybe a Royal Albert Hall release on Vinyl - full show would be nice. 

RAH vs Earls Court.

RAH for the win. But the cuts due to royalties. Please God NO....

I just hope what ever it is is the beginning of a set of releases. Not a "one off" or final release. :smiley_pray:

I don't think it will be a massive box set of live from every period. Would be stunned if it is that ambitious.

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

RAH vs Earls Court.

RAH for the win. But the cuts due to royalties. Please God NO....

I just hope what ever it is is the beginning of a set of releases. Not a "one off" or final release. :smiley_pray:

I don't think it will be a massive box set of live from every period. Would be stunned if it is that ambitious.

Trouble with releasing live sets there will always be issues with royalties. To be fair love the band as I do, was there a live show without any flaws? Sure he could add bits from here and there but the word "remastering" tells me that he is re looking at things that have already been released. That really leaves only that live set and The song remains the same. 

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Trouble with releasing live sets there will always be issues with royalties. To be fair love the band as I do, was there a live show without any flaws? Sure he could add bits from here and there but the word "remastering" tells me that he is re looking at things that have already been released. That really leaves only that live set and The song remains the same. 

He didn't use the word 'remastering', did he?

absolutely. If it's "mastering", it has to be something that hasn't been officially released before, bootleg only or even completely unknown. I always thought that something would "emerge" for the anniversary.

I still wonder whether Page will magically find something in his vaults "well Robbie Williams' builders caused a wall in my basement to fall down and behind it I found footage of Bath '70, a full photo archive of Carnegie Hall '69 and a soundboard of Baton Rouge 1977. Would you believe it!!" :D

7 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

More than likely a re mastering of the Atrocious offering that was How the west was won.

Not sure 35 minutes of Dazed and Confused from 1975 ( snooze) would fit in these days and was EC "underwhelming" ?

Maybe a Royal Albert Hall release on Vinyl - full show would be nice. 

I'd love to have the 5/24/75 D&C on multi.  Are you kidding me??

Give me the best of 5/24-5/25 and I'll be a happy, happy man (TU and STH have to be from 24th!).

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

absolutely. If it's "mastering", it has to be something that hasn't been officially released before, bootleg only or even completely unknown. I always thought that something would "emerge" for the anniversary.

I still wonder whether Page will magically find something in his vaults "well Robbie Williams' builders caused a wall in my basement to fall down and behind it I found footage of Bath '70, a full photo archive of Carnegie Hall '69 and a soundboard of Baton Rouge 1977. Would you believe it!!" :D

Carnegie Hall???... STOP IT!  Just STOP IT!!!!  I can't handle that kind of (crazy) speculation!!!:run:

(That would be a damn dream come true)

3 hours ago, Mook said:

He didn't use the word 'remastering', did he?

He specifically said "mastering"... so unless we're reading too much into it, here's what I think it might be;

A vinyl release of HTWWW... never mastered specifically for vinyl, so it's technically not a remaster.

The long-rumored Earl's Court live album ... but it would need mixed before being mastered, and Davis is primarily a mastering engineer.

Of course, I could be - and probably am - wrong on both predictions...

Please, no more early shows as there are the whole of the BBC Sessions, Paris 69', an almost full 71' show plus RAH all officially released. You know what has not been released? A decent representation of 75' - 80' and that is what we need. I can only hear the same damn songs so many times and I like to hear the evolution of the band. Anything prior or 1975 I am in no way interested, and that includes Bath. The ONLY exception to this would be one of the really good 69' shows that feature As Long As I Have You or Japan 71' / 72' due to the diverse setlists otherwise, been there, done that, many, many times.

57 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Please, no more early shows as there are the whole of the BBC Sessions, Paris 69', an almost full 71' show plus RAH all officially released. You know what has not been released? A decent representation of 75' - 80' and that is what we need. I can only hear the same damn songs so many times and I like to hear the evolution of the band. Anything prior or 1975 I am in no way interested, and that includes Bath. The ONLY exception to this would be one of the really good 69' shows that feature As Long As I Have You or Japan 71' / 72' due to the diverse setlists otherwise, been there, done that, many, many times.

Agree. Hope it’s how the East was Won or something from 1975 to 1980 Live. 

R😎

9 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Hard-pressed to find any real flaws from any show from the 72 NA tour.  Every time I listen to the complete audience source of 6/25/72 I'm amazed at just how perfect it is.  I know we have HTWWW, but I'd kill to have that show, complete, including all the encores.  Just doesn't get any better.

16 hours ago, reids said:

Agree. Hope it’s how the East was Won or something from 1975 to 1980 Live. 

R😎

I’d actually like 4/8/79 to be released. I reckon it’s a good gig with a great set list. That, or the Copenhagen warm ups. Japan 71 would also be awesome 

17 minutes ago, Strider said:

You would think someone working with Jimmy Page would realize by now to keep your mouth shut on any projects?

Absolutely, which makes me believe they let it slip intentionally.

R😎🎸

1 hour ago, reids said:

Absolutely, which makes me believe they let it slip intentionally.

R😎🎸

Let's just hope Jimmy Page doesn't pull a "Freezer" and in a fit of petulance put the kibbosh on the whole thing.

On 10/27/2017 at 4:51 AM, chillumpuffer said:

To be fair love the band as I do, was there a live show without any flaws?

9/19/70 evening show comes to mind, minus the crowd trouble in Dazed which I would argue doesn't technically count since it was out of the band's direct control.

waiting for so long it’s not true ….
let’s not forget 
16 july 2006
“There are unknown performances by Led Zeppelin such as a version of Howlin’ Wolf’s Killing Floor, which they later rewrote as the Lemon Song…”
“Jimmy Page, of Led Zeppelin, who spent years begging for scraps from bootleggers so that he could compile a history of the band in 2003, is keen to dive into the archive. 

“Bill recorded a San Francisco show that Jimmy remembers as momentous: which Zep fan would not want to hear that?” said an Atlantic Records source last week”.
Rolling stone 26 November 2012
Page is also looking at relevant live recordings and film to accompany the reissues. "There are concerts that were recorded – some that might have appeared on bootleg in some shape or form – and a certain amount of footage, though not a lot," he said. "I started doing this with [2003's] Led Zeppelin DVD and [the 2003 three-CD set] How the West Was Won, which was a superb live performance." Page believes BBC Sessions, a 1997 release of Zeppelin's recordings for British radio, "didn't have that open horizon" of the group's best concerts, "where you're just going and going, right over that horizon.
Well, it may have been part of the studios released, but it’s seems big enough to be a project on his own.  
We’ve also have an interesting information from Sam from bill Graham contracts with Zeppelin. It was not until may 1969 that Led zeppelin contracts prohibited films and recordings from theirs shows.
Si what about before, we could think that (some or all ?) shows from January and may 1969 were recorded and some of them may have been filmed.
Bill SAGAN talked about January shows and PAGE make comments about a particular great show from the Fillmore West in 1969  (like the guy from Atlantic).
date is  …. 10 January 1969. 
We can hope for something new when you read the rolling stone interview “ “a certain amount of footage” I think he was talking of never before seen films.
so let’s hope for  Central park/ Dallas (part of..) 1969, Bath 1970, Montreux 1971/1972 , Amsterdam 72, Paris/Atlanta 1973 ….   
my hopes 1969 -1973.  

Archived