Next Soundboard Release

Xolo1974

On 3/27/2018 at 3:37 AM, Blimp_Life said:

A one track CD including "Stairway to Heaven" (Osaka 1971-09-29, real SBD) will go on sale on this Friday March 30th in Japan.
It seems like the same form and the price as previously released "Immigrant Song" CD.

God , what a bunch of fucking shite!!! 50th anniversary and the bootleggers are trickling out one song at a time with fancy artwork for maximum opportunism. At this rate it'll cost a $1K per show! Lame. 

On 3/27/2018 at 5:12 AM, rm2551 said:

So are we seeing a shift to high priced per track releases now??

If you think about it, the first people to buy the single track can make money from redistributing it (YouTube views, etc). I think EV realize this and know they can market to those people first. Wouldn't surprise me if they release the full album once they goad the leechers out of their money.

5 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Hi bud. How do you know that Whole Lotta Love will also be released? Has there been some sort of announcement? If so, where was it? @Blimp_Life where is the announcement for Stairway? 

@duckman does the fact that they have IS, Stairway and WLL in soundboard quality suggest that they have the full show in this quality, rather than 2/3 as we have previously discussed? 

If you plan to record a show on Reel to reel in excellent fidelity (7 1/2 IPS), then you better plan  ahead when to change reels. I assume the roadie who was responsible for the Revox rarely got the chance to capture a complete show. At least during the 1971 US tour. Of the three released US 71 SBs, Orlando clocks in at 125 minutes and it has cuts in several places. As much as I do hope we finally get a full 1971 show, I'm not (yet) convinced at this stage our roadie got the grips. Grateful Dead had Betty and she was commissioned to record the so called 'Betty Boards'  with two Nagra tape decks.

IS, Stairway and half of WLL is available on the Orlando SB too, remember. But, Yes...I really DO hope the Osaka boards ( and give us Tokyo too!) are more complete. With the aid of this highly anticipated  SB AND pro tools, all balance issues on the Warner Pioneer Multi track recordings could be solved as well.:party:

8 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Hi bud. How do you know that Whole Lotta Love will also be released? Has there been some sort of announcement? If so, where was it? @Blimp_Life where is the announcement for Stairway? 

@duckman does the fact that they have IS, Stairway and WLL in soundboard quality suggest that they have the full show in this quality, rather than 2/3 as we have previously discussed? 

Hi, it comes from this Japanese twitter post:

Auto translated, the relevant bit of that reads:

Led Zeppelin 929 SBD Series 2nd "Stairway to Heaven" arrives on Friday, March 30!

I guess we don't have long to wait to see how true it is. Whole Lotta Love is mentioned as being part three in a reply under the main post. As ever with this stuff, who knows what any of this means in terms of who has what and whether we'll ever hear it. 09.28 seems to have been completely forgotten about; no more of that has yet seen the light of day.

1 hour ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Auto translated, the relevant bit of that reads:

Led Zeppelin 929 SBD Series 2nd "Stairway to Heaven" arrives on Friday, March 30!

I guess we don't have long to wait to see how true it is. Whole Lotta Love is mentioned as being part three in a reply under the main post. As ever with this stuff, who knows what any of this means in terms of who has what and whether we'll ever hear it. 09.28 seems to have been completely forgotten about; no more of that has yet seen the light of day.

They’ve got it mate, don’t you worry (they have tracks from the start, middle and end of the show, suggesting they have the whole tape). They know that this is one of the most sought after boots (if not the most sought after) by Zep fans....and they are going to milk this for all its worth. 

4 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

They’ve got it mate, don’t you worry (they have tracks from the start, middle and end of the show, suggesting they have the whole tape). They know that this is one of the most sought after boots (if not the most sought after) by Zep fans....and they are going to milk this for all its worth. 

That's one reading, yeah. Alternatively they don't have it all, and are being drip fed it themselves by persons unknown. I don't get why 09.28 was seemingly abandoned.

1 hour ago, Crimson Avenger said:

That's one reading, yeah. Alternatively they don't have it all, and are being drip fed it themselves by persons unknown. I don't get why 09.28 was seemingly abandoned.

Yeah I’m with you on that mate. Weird

3 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

As ever with this stuff, who knows what any of this means in terms of who has what and whether we'll ever hear it. 09.28 seems to have been completely forgotten about; no more of that has yet seen the light of day.

Although 928 is a formidable performance, it has less devoted followers than 929 ( which fascinates Zep heads since 1972 when it was released on viny)l. So I guess EV is going to milk the 929 board by releasing some of the key tracks issued as singles, then release expensive and more complete multi CD sets to coincide with the anniversary date.

I forked out 65 USD for Immigrant, but won't do this for 928 s Black Dog and neither  for 929 Stairway. (WLL is another story...If they have it in it's 30 minutes glory, I'll probably get that one)

But this aside, have you noticed Immigrant Song is still not sold out? It was released as a ltd edition of 100 ( 5 covers, 20 copies each). It is highly plausible EV has to re-direct it's current business plan...it's not the early nineties anymore! Silver addicts like me are endangered species :fisheat:

17 minutes ago, duckman said:

But this aside, have you noticed Immigrant Song is still not sold out? It was released as a ltd edition of 100 ( 5 covers, 20 copies each). It is highly plausible EV has to re-direct it's current business plan...it's not the early nineties anymore!

Sounds like they need to re-re-revise their business plan if they can't sell out limited runs of single songs! You can guarantee diminishing returns for this kind of thing too, if they try to make a series of it.

And if they do release the whole lot in six months time (I'm sceptical they have it all, but that's just a hunch, I will be happily proved wrong), then that small group of fans who bought the individual ones are going to be very miffed.

Video killed the radio?

Download killed the bootleg?

Whatever the case maybe Im not a downloader and prefer silvers since 89'.I picked up Immigrant Song from EV because its considered by me the best version Page ever played and knowing the whole show is up in the air as far as being a complete release I had no problem deciding on it.Of course I do not agree with EVs recent plan of single releases but If and when they release 9/29 complete I will not be miffed in anyway even after picking up a few of them.Silver addict "present".^

I think the Immigrant Song cd-single is way too expensive, over the top, but nonetheless I bought all 5  covers: They're beautiful. Together with all 5 Black Dog covers - which I received when buying a few Moonchild copies - it's a real treat for the eye.

I guess I've got to spend some more money on the issues to come; Stairway To Heaven and maybe Whole Lotta Love

2 hours ago, John M said:

Friends would be so amazing.  The other one I would really want (if we don't get the whole show) is Celebration Day.  That version is so incredible, so energetic and over the top, top , top top top !!

This one is probably my favorite.

11 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

This one is probably my favorite.

Indeed that is one the great versions and such a fantastic recording.  That part near the end of the final jam when the guitar stops for a few seconds (3:46- 3:50) is so cool.    I think if the Osaka version came out in this quality it would be a virtual tie for best version.  I would also mention Hampton 1971, and Orlando 71, but in that one unfortunately Celebration Day is in the lower quality part of the tape.  Interesting that for Toronto 71 Celebration Day is in the soundboard part of the tape.  

If the Osaka show comes out in full, I really couldn’t give two hoots if we get any more soundboards. I’ll be real happy with my collection. Possibly Blueberry Hill and the second night at Copenhagen in 79 could be good, but I enjoy the recordings as they are

2 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Anyone prefer Tokyo to Osaka?

Both are great in their own sense. Tokyo is the better balanced performance, but the last  Osaka night plays like a movie.

I can see the stress on Percy's face when Bonzo has disappeared, the relief when he returns.  Bonzo on his way to stage, cursing his roadies...wonderful stuff. Teamed together Tokyo and Osaka would make the perfect "How the East was Won , Live in Japan -complete edition". 

17 hours ago, duckman said:

Both are great in their own sense. Tokyo is the better balanced performance, but the last  Osaka night plays like a movie.

I can see the stress on Percy's face when Bonzo has disappeared, the relief when he returns.  Bonzo on his way to stage, cursing his roadies...wonderful stuff. Teamed together Tokyo and Osaka would make the perfect "How the East was Won , Live in Japan -complete edition". 

Is it known where he disappeared to?

Archived